PDA

View Full Version : New Speakers in 2500HD Crew Cab

Tader Jack
03-22-2002, 14:00
I just had 4 new 6-1/2" speakers installed in my truck. Picked the Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers. Best Buy had them for $89 a pair and the second pair for 44.50. They charged $60 to install and $10 for the harness adaptors. I also opted for the $19.95 4-year warranty for each pair for 4 years. They replace them on the spot if one blows or starts to crackle. The whole deal, with the warranty, tax, install, etc. came to $242.00. Not bad at all.

We were not sure that just the speakers would help all that much and were prepared to go to to an amp for the next stage and finally to a new stereo unit itself if that was necessary. Fortunately the speakers alone made a world of difference in the sound quality. I've very happy with the change.

They should put better speakers in these trucks or at least give us an option to add better sound when we buy it.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor •
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
------------------------------------------------

BMDMAX
03-22-2002, 14:45
Replacing those speakers does make a huge difference, I am really happy with the Infinity's I dropped in. I Dynamatted the doors while I had it all apart and that seems to help also.

I added a Kenwood KSC-WA62RC "WooX" powered subwoofer also. This little thing is great and the install was a breeze. I cut a platform from a poplar plank, dynamatted it, carpeted it and put a no-slip rubber bottom on it and screwed the sub to it. It fits perfectly under the rear seat on the drivers side between the seat mountings and all I have to do is remove 2 quick disconnects to take it out.

The extra low end it adds to the stock stereo is fabulous and the sub has a remote that adjusts the bass, crossover, and phase. It's great because you can adjust it to the music that is playing. If you want a little more low end to your music and don't want the stock head unit to strain with the lower freq's than check one out!

BMDMAX

SoCalDMAX
03-22-2002, 16:05
Hi Jack,

As particular as you are, (as we all should be) I'm glad to see you got some great speakers! RF makes some great stuff.

That price is awesome! I usually install myself and skip the ext. warranty, but gotta admit I would have done the exact same at those prices.

I bet even with the great tunes now, you'll do the same thing I do. From time to time, I'll turn the stereo down to "0" just to hear that sweet engine, especially when I put my foot in it.

Regards, Steve

Smorey
03-22-2002, 16:11
I think you have MDRAG beat. :D :D :D

NutNbutGMC
03-22-2002, 18:34
TJ, If ya' like, have a look-see at my RF sub / amp install. It will compliment the new RF speakers that you recently installed. As well, I have RF from the Alpine head, back to the sub and amp. I put the 2614's in the front doors and the 2206 in the rear doors. With XM Radio's digital signals, it's a premium sound system.

Click on the flap link in my signature line, below.

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Maverick
03-22-2002, 20:43
Ok guys, if I replace my speakers and want to power a small amp to power a small bass tube that I have, how to I install a line out for the amp? Do I need a crossover of some sort to send only bass to the tube or can I get a small amp that can do that within itself.? Does someone make an adapter that I can plug on the back of the radio? What wire can I tap into to turn the amp on and off with the radio? Usually the power antenna wire?.

SoCalDMAX
03-23-2002, 01:18
Hi Maverick,

They make inexpensive line out converters that you attach to the speaker wires to give you low level signals to the amp. Another option would be to use the speaker level inputs on the amp, although I believe this introduces more noise, I've never done it this way.

Most amps these days have switches and adjustments to crossover the signal at whatever frequency you like. Just make sure you buy one with that feature and plenty of power. Don't forget to run power cable large enough to handle the power draw, 8ga oughta be good.

Regards, Steve

Tader Jack
03-23-2002, 10:23
Yes, I still turn the stereo down quite often to listen to the engine as all of us "diesel heads" do on occasion. My friend Gene from Amsoil brought my delivery up on Thursday. He has a Dodge Cummins and just installed a second turbo setup. He's been running the Jardine 4" exhaust with a straight thru pipe. It is really loud when he gets on it. Mostly from the turbo noise. Every time I hear a diesel with an aftermarket 4" exhaust I get itchy to get one. I'm going to probably have to spring before summer.

Just a note on the speakers, you could use a 2-channel amp instead of the 4-channel to get good results. The only thing you would not have is the "fade" from front to rear speakers. Many people, like myself never use the fade and the amp is about 1/2 ($149) the price. It will still cost about $100 for a good harness though.

MNR
03-27-2002, 13:43
Hi,

I've started on the speaker replacement, but the problem I've run into is how to mount the new 6.5 inch speakers.

The OEM mounting uses the big plastic clip assembly and the 6.5 replacement speakers a just a bit too small to easily screw into the doors.

Is there an aftermarket version of the big plastic clip?

BTW, anyone have a reference for the pigtail that plugs into the stock speaker harness?

Thanks,
Paul

BMDMAX
03-27-2002, 16:47
MNR,

Most local stereo shops, Circuit City, or Best Buy have the adapters, you just have to ask an installer type rather than the typical sales shmoe. Crutchfield on the net has them too.

I though I had the same dilemma when I installed my 6.5" speakers too but I just used the mounting brackets that came with the new speakers. Just line it up so that the holes on the bracket are making as much contact with the sheetmetal all around, mark the spots for the holes, drill and mount the brackets. Then attach the speakers as normal. At first glance it looks like it will not work but it does. I think you could easily fit 6.75's in the hole but there might be a depth problem. At any rate the 6.5's will mount with no trouble.

Good luck,
BMDMAX

Kennedy
03-27-2002, 20:28
I just received my Morel drivers yesterday. Today the crossovers (leap designed) came in. Now I gotta find the time to install tham!

The next problem will be that I have drivers 10x the quality level of the factory head unit...

dontxs
01-11-2003, 14:39
I just got my pioneer components yesterday, forgive the stupid questions but can anyone tell me what wires go to the crossover as there are two sets in the door (tweeter and 6.5) This is the first time I have done this, any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Don

chevmeister
01-11-2003, 15:30
maverick goto Jpcustoms.com look for the oem-1 it gives you line-outs and a remote turn on lead. and most amps have high pass/low pass filters

TraceF
01-11-2003, 16:37
I have the Bose Premium sound system and the $140 Cerwin Vega speakers I replaced in the rear of my car (no other changes) blow the Bose away.

Are any of you on this thread talking about replacing the Bose speakers?

Thanks guys. (Or gals).

wild bore
01-11-2003, 17:46
Hey, I have been thinking about replacing the factory speakers. Has anyone used components to replace the front? and what brand?

Right now I have a pioneer head unit DEHP7400
a rockford M250 amp and an MTX enclosure w/ 2-10" woofers. Cranked up the bass makes my insides quiver tongue.gif

The woofer enclosure is nice and clean, nobody knows its there.

mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/cxp20.cfm

motovet
01-11-2003, 18:25
I just finished my system and used Boston 6.5 pro's up front. I like the clean sound of the Bostons, they work great for all kinds of music. Unless you have ears in your knees however I highly recommend using an angle mount to fix the stock imaging.
Don: in the drivers door the brown is the in+, and the grey is the in-.Passenger is light green in+, and dark green in-. Connect those to the crossover inputs and run new wire to the new components.
My system is a 7894 Alpine head, XM radio, 6.5 Bostons off a JL 300/2 amp, 6" Boston NX's in back off the HU, (2)JL 10W3V2 subs off a JL 500/1 amp. Have some tweeking to do, but it sounds GOOD!!

[ 01-11-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

mackin
01-11-2003, 19:35
wild bore

I did with Alpine .....Very easy to do ......Haven't done the Amp and sub,install, yet.....

See here=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/mackin/stereo

MAC

DMAXDiva
01-12-2003, 07:59
Wild Bore: (nice handle, by the way :cool: )

Ditto what motovet says about angle-mounting to improve imaging. I went with MB Quart Q's in the doors; sound is nothing short of spectacular, and I'm pretty darned picky about my jamz... ;)
I think you'll be pleased with whichever component setup you choose...they'll be light-years better than stock!

TraceF:

I am thinking about replacing the Bose system in the new Z06 with basically the same setup as in the truck (but only room for one JLA 10 sub). I've been a little disappointed in the performance of the Bose in the car, and quite honestly if the truck had come so equipped (mine's an '02, Bose wasn't available), I'd have swapped it out too. Needless to say, the stocker system in the truck was beyond pathetic, and was one of the first upgrades I did. :rolleyes:

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

wild bore
01-12-2003, 09:32
Mackin and Diva:
Did you put an amp on the components?
I`m thinking the 50 watts out of the head unit will be enough.

DMAXDiva
01-12-2003, 09:46
WB:

I'm running a 500w x 5channel JLA amp which handles the front components, the rear door MBQ Diskus pair and the 2X10" subs (there are pics of the setup below in "truck toys" album). I'm far from an expert, but I'd think that if you'll be running replacement speakers of any substance, you'll want a bit more oomph than the 50w from the head unit.

ccds
01-12-2003, 11:56
Has anyone changed out OEM Bose unit on a 2003 USA model with XM?

I would be interested in it as we can't buy XM up here although we can get it if sub'd out of the USA which I can do.

We just can't buy the units up here at all and I would like to keep the Bose system stock if possible. Other wise I will look into changing the head unit but then there is On Star to worry about. My email address is at the bottow of my signature is you want to contact me.

thanks
smile.gif

[ 01-12-2003: Message edited by: ccds ]</p>

motovet
01-13-2003, 01:16
WB, you will definately want to power the front stage with an amp,you need some mids and highs to go with that bass! Even a entry level lower powered unit will beat the HU. If you like some rear fill just use the HU to power the rears, it is all you need for that. I myself prefer the front stage and subs only, sounds cleaner.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

Maverick
01-13-2003, 20:44
Man this thread is old. I ended up replacing the head unit with a new Pioneer unit with 50x4 power. Running the stock speakers. Ran rear line outs to a MTX amp bridged at 200 watts to power a 8" bazooka bass tube behind the drivers seat. This works real good in my reg. cab. Can shake the mirrors. tongue.gif

motovet
01-14-2003, 00:43
Yeah it is old. Before I saw the date I thought TJ was reinstated. Put enough power in these trucks and a whole lot more than the mirrors shake....I have some sound deadener on the way.

[ 01-13-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

wild bore
01-14-2003, 14:15
Yes, I should use an amp on the front speakers. The only place to put it is under the front seat, not much room with power seats and I`ve only used mine once.

Maverick: this thread is new to me smile.gif

motovet: I see that you ride, name makes sense now. I should be getting my 03' WR250 any time now. It will be 10 years since the last time I have ridden. I got my son an XR70, so I had a good excuse. :D

motovet
01-15-2003, 01:10
WB, welcome back to the riding scene. You will be blown away with the new machines that are available now. I got back into it about 7 years ago and am having a blast. Ride the vet pro and occasionaly play with the kids too. I plan to go 4 stroke soon....rode them...like them! Have fun with that blue beast!...good choice.

[ 01-15-2003: Message edited by: motovet ]</p>

wild bore
01-15-2003, 07:06
Motovet, Try this site thumpertalk.com

TraceF
01-15-2003, 07:17
Asking again- I'm not clear as to whether any of you are replacing the Bose speakers or other oem speakers.

The Bose speakers don't seem that good to me.

Thanks for clarifications.

wild bore
01-15-2003, 18:51
Trace, eventually I`ll be replacing the front and rear speakers in the doors. I did not have the bose system.

TraceF
01-16-2003, 07:51
Put a flashlight up against the grille of the Bose speaker cover and it looks like only a 6" speaker back there anyway. Is this right?

wild bore
01-16-2003, 16:53
Go to: crutchfield.com

at top click on ( what fits my car), then click on speakers. It will ask about your truck. Then it will tell you what size you have and what sizes will fit.

I use them for reference only