PDA

View Full Version : Anti-sway or sway control accessory for trailer towing

bora
05-27-2002, 14:26
Having just bought my first trailer, I did get the weight distributing hitch. I am wondering if I
need to also get the sway control bar.

The truck is a 2500HD Duramax and the trailer is a 22x8.5 Haulmark Elite II with 10K rating

Bora

CanadaKev
05-27-2002, 15:17
Bora,
Trailer will likely start to sway somewhere between 60&65mph. If you never plan on doing any faster than that, then you don't need an anti-sway bar. If you are going to travel 65mph+ then you need the bar. It's that simple. But you've got a D-Max, you'll me doin' over 70 so get an anti-sway bar and relax and enjoy your travellin' smile.gif

dmaxstu
05-27-2002, 19:11
Bora
I have always used a friction sway bar. On my old towvehicle it was more important than the dmax but it still feels comfortable especially when you're passed by a big rig. Of course you don't get passed too often. Be sure to adjust the friction properly should you buy one. I came across a guy pulling a trailer who had just slapped it on his rig tightened up the handle, it had no friction and thus useles because he never adjusted the nut directly below the handle.
I aldso recommend a Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller www.jordanbrake.com I've been dragging trailers around since 1977 and experienced a number of controllers this Jordan is the best one I've used. Stu

GBurton
05-27-2002, 19:53
bora

You got a very good tow vehicle but you do need to make sure that your hitch assembly is set up correctly. I hope your dealer treated you better than to one who sold us our first trailer. Get the manual on your weight distributing hitch and READ IT! When you are connected to the trailer your truck should sit level. There are several adjustments to setting up a weight distributing hitch properly. When everything is correct both the truck and the trailer will be level and not looking like a letter

bora
05-27-2002, 20:39
Thanks GBurton,

The trailer dealer insisted on setting up the weight distributing hitch for me, I will make sure I get the instructions with it. Also, I think I am going to call them tomorrow and ask them to add the sway control to the trailer when I pick it up.

The weight distributing hitch is pretty amazing, when we had the trailer hooked up to the truck for a test fit, as soon as we raised the chains up, the rear end of the truck lifted up and everything was straight.