PDA

View Full Version : Extending preglow time

5.7L oldsdiesel
11-12-2005, 12:05
Hi guys.I have another question to ask everyone and thank you to everyone who helped with my 6.5 TD woes.I do appreciate the help very much.

I need to install a resistor on a 87'Chevy 6.2 that needs more glow plug duration.I'm going to use AC60G's on it.When i buy the resistor,is there a certain way it should be mounted?Can it be installed either way on the PIN C yellow wire,or must it be installed a certain way to get it to work properly?Can i still use the inhibit switch,or must i get rid of it for the resistor modification to work?If i eliminate the inhibit switch,i simply join both wires at the inhibit switch together?Also after soldering the resistor in place,can it be covered with electrical tape to prevent exposure to the elements?Sorry for all the questions.I've never done the modification before and i want to make sure i do it right.

Everyone's reply is much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
smile.gif

5.7L oldsdiesel
11-12-2005, 12:07
Sorry for this next post guys.... ,but if i wanted to increase preglow to 15 seconds,will the 5 ohm-2 watt resistor do or should i get a 10 ohm-2 watt resistor?15 seconds should get the AC60G's hot by that time,should'nt it?I thought i'd post in the 6.5TD forum because there seems to be more traffic here.

Thanks everyone.Have a great day.

More Power
11-18-2005, 13:48
[QUOTE,but if i wanted to increase preglow to 15 seconds,will the 5 ohm-2 watt resistor do or should i get a 10 ohm-2 watt resistor?15 seconds should get the AC60G's hot by that time,should'nt it?I thought i'd post in the 6.5TD forum because there seems to be more traffic here. [/QUOTE]

A 5 ohm resistor increased the first glow duration to 12 seconds in my installation. You may need a resistor with more ohms to get to 15 seconds. A 10 ohm might get you close.

Just solder the resistor in-line with the pin C lead (cut the wire, then splice-in the resistor).

I prefer to solder the connections, then use heat shrink tubing to ensure a long lasting connection.

Jim