PDA

View Full Version : after market stereo issues

imported_
03-23-2002, 23:16
Hello all,

My stereo has a slight alt/injection pump??? whine :( and the alt can't keep up to the amps. :(

I just finished installing a Clarion head unit, 6 disk changer, hollywood seperates up front, coax in the back, JL sub and two old school PPI amps, the A600i and the Ax400. All wiring is Pheonex Gold.

Power, head unit ground, and remote turn on is ran down the drivers side, rca and speaker wires ran down the middle. Factory power is used at the head unit. Main power is fused at the boost terminal running 4 guage wire to a dist block. Amps and head unit are grounded through the floor to the frame using a dist block. total length of ground are under 18"

I have used a buddies line outs to rule out equipment prob and installed my head unit in his car to rule out it being the problem. I have moved the ground, made it shorter, longer changed wire, ran the factory ground on the head unit everything I can think of and I still have the whine.

Any suggestions?

To solve my light dimming problem I am installing the dual alt system. I was going to go with a cap but like the added benifits of running two alts. smile.gif

cheers

brad

NutNbutGMC
03-24-2002, 01:17
^...There is a gadget that fixes this problem. I had the same scenario for about 2 minutes and the installer knew what to do. Look at my sub / amp pic in the sig link. The gizmo with the yellow wires running to it, whatever it is called, did the trick. A phone call to American Radio in Knoxville TN will get ya' the technical answer. I know you're in Canuk Land, but this is only $0.02 worth. 865 is the area code. I'd say someone here knows the fix terminology.

[ 03-24-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

imported_
03-24-2002, 11:01
Thanks nutnbut,

I'll give that noise suppressor thingy a try

cheers

SoCalDMAX
03-24-2002, 21:18
Big Blue,

Yes, a noise suppressor should do the trick, especially a good pi filter type. Any decent stereo shop should carry them for under $15.

I'm surprised at the alternator problem. I'm running 2 amps fused at 150 amps total (probably drawing less than half that) and have never seen my voltage drop one bit, and I REALLY like good bass. Are you sure you're running power cables big enough for the load? I'd recommend 4ga to the distribution block and 8ga for short runs to the amps.

At any rate, it's a good idea to have the dual alts. anyways. Somday when I get a trailer, I'll probably add the second alt.

Click on truck pics if you want to see what I'm using. Hope this helps.

Regards, Steve

imported_
03-25-2002, 13:51
SocalDmax,

I am running 4 gauge back to the distribution block and the 8 gauge to the amps. 150 amp fuse under the hood with a 60 amp fuse for each of the amps. I tried a piece of 0 gauge back to the dist block and still got the voltage drop.

I think the PPI amps are power hogs. I am running the A600 mono bridged into a 2ohm load and the Ax400 stereo bridged into a 2ohm load. So I figure conservately I am running around 1500w rms. We put on a load tester and can draw 90 amps peak easy with hard hitting base, I also get drops in the voltage as low as 10.4V. Stereo guys reccomend a 1.5 farad cap for $200can or I install the second alt for $450can. My choice is for the second alt.

SoCalDMAX
03-25-2002, 14:28
Big Blue,

Holy cow, you could do some welding with that setup! You're not gonna go deaf, are ya?

Sheesh, $200 for a cap. or $450 for a second alt, that's a pretty simple decision. I imagine the biggest problem is at idle, where the second alt is really gonna help out.

I'd like to see some pics of this monster stereo system/welder sometime if you ever get around to posting them. ;)

Regards, Steve

imported_
03-25-2002, 15:32
What's that, Pardon, I can't hear you!!! LOL

Ya its loud but nothing special on the install. Sub box behind the rear seat with amps and changer under the seats. It will hit 130db pretty consistantly with test tones and seat folded down. The neighbors must of thought I was pretty goofy when I was setting it up. Sitting in my truck, by myself, with my shooting ear muffs on listening to test tones at an ungodly level. Oh well. I don't listen to it that loud, it is just nice to know I can crank it up if I want to.

I don't have access to a dig cam so you will have to wait for the pics

cheers

brad

NutNbutGMC
03-25-2002, 18:30
Large Blew...... Don't forget the XM radio. :D

bmoeller
03-25-2002, 19:16
Similar problem, found the battery ground was not clean where it met the frame.

imported_
03-25-2002, 20:38
Nut,

XM radio, were just lucky to get digital cell phone coverage in the cities!!! I have been told that I am to far north for the XM. Nobody here as even heard of it. someday maybe. I asked the stereo shop about the Pioneer unit that is XM ready and their rep sez that it is not available in Canada, perhaps cuz there's no coverage.

cheers

NutNbutGMC
03-25-2002, 21:00
^...Not to argue the point with you, but I read (on a satellite forum) where one of the Canadian members is getting XM about 150 miles north of the border. Otherwise, I wouldn't know for darn sure. Let me do some looking on the other forum and find reference to this second hand info that I'm passing along. If that won't suffice, we got a few empty acres for ya' down hea' in TN.

imported_
03-25-2002, 21:07
that would be great, and thanks for the invite :D

NutNbutGMC
03-25-2002, 22:40
Large Blew,
Here is the link I had in mind that discusses Canadian location reception.
(UBB-less)
http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002832&p=