PDA

View Full Version : DRL replacement question

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 07:42
Had one go out, and went ahead and replaced them with amber DRL's.

My question is..for those without a replacement front bumper... Do you too have to pull the grill off? With a replacement bumper, you can not access the lights because of the horizontal plate part of the bumper. I hade to pull the black plastic trim piece that protects the top of the radiator, then pull the grill (all took 5 - 10 minutes, but kind of a hassle). Good thing that came out of it was, I REALLY got to clean the grill and put a coat of wax on it, so it looks new from the factory again.

ALSO!!! The DRL sockets were almost melted! What is up with that?? They were previously OEM bulbs, but it looked like somebody put some 75+ watt bulbs in there (???).

Maverick
05-28-2002, 11:21
The lower lamps come out like the headlights. There is a tab you have to pull to the side and it pops out. Very easy to replace bulbs. If I remember right the tab is on the inside between the lamp housing and the grill. Your lamps got melted? That is strange. I take it this is the first time you switched these bulbs?

[ 05-28-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 12:19
Not the first time to replace DRL's. I did it on my 99 1500. I just dont remember how I got to them.

If I look at the lens, they are "cloudy". The casing around the bulb is blackened. It is tooo strange how this happened. It looks like excessive heat..

Maverick
05-28-2002, 14:33
I had a 99 1500 also but never changed those lights. I wonder if they come out the same. Did your old bulbs say 75w? When I had one on my 3500 burn out I switched to amber also. I never checked to see what wattage they were. Everything looked good when I changed them. Do you have the Kennedy harness? Does this amplify the DRL's also or just the headlights?

Silver Bullet
05-28-2002, 16:08
I had 2 different bulbs for my DRL's from the factory...changed to amber, and then turned 'em OFF with the headlight override!

tysmith
05-28-2002, 17:46
Mine are all black inside as well. I thought the reflector looked darker on the passenger side, and just went out to confirm it. I'll have to check my bulbs. The dealer might just say its "normal." ;)

Alli-max
05-28-2002, 17:57
Maverick.. as usual, I got this tunnel vision to "get it done" and didnt look at SQUAT. Sorry bub...

The DS is almost warped to a point where replacement bulbs wont fit though.

As for JK's harness, cant answer it 100% for you, but I seriously doubt it addresses DRL's, since nobody really gives a ___ about them until they burn out.

This is the first time i put amber bulbs in though. It sure looks different! Kinda sets it apart from the other GM trucks, thats for sure.

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2002, 03:04
Maverick

Sorry, I can't help with the wattage question.
The Kennedy harness does not effect the DRL's. They are on a completely seperate circuit. The Kennedy harness taps input from the headlight bulb connector. The "enhanced" power is supplied by direct battery (or alternator) connection. There is no other wiring (other than grounds), so interference is impossible.

Strange as it may seem, my OEM DRL's have lasted over 1 1/2 years and 40K miles. I can count on one hand how many other newer GM trucks that have both DRL's working that I've seen on the road. Cheers.

NickLeinonen
05-29-2002, 08:33
my pop's truck is a 99 silverado and just rolled 100,000km. he has burnt out probably 8 - 10 drl bulbs. it doesn't matter if they are the 12v or the 13.8v [long life] kind. they only last a short time. if the LED kind were not so darn expensive [like $50 usd per bulb @ www.ledtronics.com] i'd get him a set of them so he would stop whining... on my 'hoe, i have replaced 4 bulbs total and she is a 97. the 2 front corner markers [l&r] and both rear turn signal [just swapped them with the reverse lights..]