PDA

View Full Version : Trasfer Flow Cross Bed Tank Question........

bobojay
03-24-2002, 15:34
I'm thinking of buying the 30 or 50 gallon cross bed TF tank.
Like to know any problems or installation headaches that were ran into.
Also what is thought of the Trax-ufs system.
The difference in price between the 2 sizes is only $21.00 so I'll probably go with the 50.

Thoughts ??? smile.gif

bobojay
03-24-2002, 15:37
Whoops......also anyone know where to buy cheaper than the factory or my 1 local dealer that wants full price plus $200.00 shipping?

PJD15X
03-24-2002, 19:37
Bobojay:
You may want to check out www.auxtank.com
they have some nice tanks and are a little bit less than Tranfer flow. Nice tank, and great instructions with a complete installation kit.
I bought 45 gal tool box/tank combo, but hey have a lot of other cross bed tanks also.
They are located in Texas, so shipping should be a little less, Mine was $143 to SW Florida, near Sarasota.

Desert Diesel
03-25-2002, 21:49
bobojay,

I have the Transfer Flow aluminum 50 gallon.
Installation was easy smile.gif . The hardest part was running the wires and drilling the hole in the firewall.
The Trax-UFS is great, I wouldn't buy any other manufacturers fuel system because of it. I always know almost exactly how many gallons of fuel I have remaining in both tanks.

You will need to buy a new fillneck. I opted for the fast-fill and am very happy with it.

IMHO it is worth every penny.

In regards to the 30 or 50 I personally should have gotten the 30, 'cause now I have to haul my motorcycles with the tailgate down. When your spending that much money though you want the most bang for your buck ;) .

Regards,

David

Alta Lad
03-26-2002, 15:04
"" posted 03-24-2002 02:34 PM
I'm thinking of buying the 30 or 50 gallon cross bed TF tank.
Like to know any problems or installation headaches that were ran into.
Also what is thought of the Trax-ufs system.
The difference in price between the 2 sizes is only $21.00 so I'll probably go with the 50.
Thoughts ??? ""

I've got the 50 gallon "across the bed" black fuel tank for my truck and installed it myself. I checked out just about every aux tank I could find and think the transfer flow system is the best value for the long term in regards to safety, ease of use and support. It's nice to know exactly how much fuel I have on board, for the long drives and just love the flexibilty and not having to fill up at every gas station along the way.

The installation took me a day to complete and it not for the "faint of heart" Drilling holes into the box was sad, but the instructions and parts were excellent! Tracing and rewiring the fuel gauges for the UFS was interesting and make sure the connections are fail safe. No twist wires and black tape methods allowed. If you loose a connection, your truck will not run .... period. Solder joints and heat shrink are mandetory IMHO. Nothing worse than being under the truck in the rain, looking for a short, so I can drive it home. You will need some serious power tools and a electrical meter. A 1/2" power drill is required, as a cordless or 3/8' drill is not up to the task.

I hope that helps you make your decision easier.

pinehill
03-26-2002, 18:43
Desert Diesel and Alta Lad,

Where did you mount the Trax-UFS panel? And what type of wire connectors/terminations are supplied in the kit? I have a 50 gal. cross bed on order.

Desert Diesel
03-26-2002, 22:34
pinehill,

Since My truck has a bench seat I mounted the Trax-UFS just under the panel in front of the cup holders to the right of my brake controller.

IIRC the kit was supplied with non-insulated butt-splices & adhesive lined shrink tubing. I prefer this method since you can crimp or solder the wires into the butt-splices and then get a water tight seal with the shrink tubing.
The only parts I had to purchase during the install were extra grommets for the hoses going thru the bed. The prints suggested 2 large holes to feed the 3 hoses and 1 wire harness thru the bed. I opted for a vertical line of 4 holes 1 for each.

Note: when setting your tank in the bed. If you have someone help you don't let them rest it on the bed rails :eek: The paint chips easily :( .

Congrats on your purchase.

David

pinehill
03-27-2002, 00:19
Desert Diesel,

Thanks for the info. The bed rails won't be a concern while placing the tank, since I've already got a topper installed. I'll be using the "Camper Shell Fillneck".

dmaxstu
04-03-2002, 22:07
For my auxtank I manufactured my own very sophisticated version of Trax-ufs it consists of a length of strap metal on which I calibrated the different gallon levels in 10 gals. increments also I used the very accurate instument called a measuring tape to derive at these very accurate levels, then I drilled a 1/8" hole at every 10 gallon level and sprayed the stick with flat black engine paint. It works very well and helps me to establish the amount of fuel left in the tank in order to add additives etc.
Actually I stole the idea from my old Greyhound driving days none of the buses had gauges in those days and at every fueling station there was such a stick so I knew that it would work.And I did'nt have to string any wires. Stu

Redhawk
04-04-2002, 11:21
I'm almost embarassed to mention my low tech solution to auxilliary problem. I bought a thirty gallon fuel and tool type tank because I needed a tank low enough to fit under my tonneau cover. I wanted more capacity but all the ones I found were too tall. So I get about 60 gallons in total.

I use the main tank first, then when it's down a little bit lower than half, I switch to the auxilliary tank until I finally have to stop for diesel. I use a two foot piece of dowel to measure the amount of fuel left in the crossbed tank. When the truck is empty I don't usually fill the auxilliary tank.I know it's stone age technology but it seems to work, and I love the tool carrying capacity of the tank as well.

dmaxstu
04-04-2002, 14:21
redhawk
If you really want to become up to date you could get in touch with www.auxtank.com and buy their hookup kit complete with the 6way valve and hoses all put together and plumb your tank right into the fuel system complete with hook up to the fuel gauge, provided of course there is a fuel gauge sender available for your tank. That sure would make your life a lot easier. Of course, some guys like a challenge so don't let me lead you down the garden path lest your inhibitions become compromised.
All that said I remambered that I got in touch with Tranferflow about a campershell fill before installing my American tank and they were not very helpful. They indicated that this fill would only work with their tank and how did I dare call them if I was'nt going to buy their tank. The trouble was they did'nt make a tank big enough for me. I understand however that any parts that American Tank has that will suit your installation are available regardless whether or not you bought the tank from them.Their instructions are very good. Stu

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

Redhawk
04-04-2002, 17:16
dmaxstu, thanks for the heads up. I talked to them about their hookup, but I got mine installed in Ukiah for less than their kit cost. My main concern was the most capacity that still would fit under my tonneau cover. American tank will make one for you but the cost is prohibitive for so few gallons of capacity. All in all I'm happy with what I finally wound up with. BYTW, I went with the Handy 30 gallon tank, which has a tool box integrated into the tank.