PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Haulers

Pizza Man
03-24-2002, 21:57
For those of you that pull trailers.....what do you think about the factory trailer hitch? Do you think its good. Did anybody take it off and put on an aftermarket hitch...ie Reese Titan V.

dmaxstu
03-24-2002, 22:17
I replaced the factory receiver with a 'Quick& Easy' receiver from United truck parts, Fort Wayne IN. It is a 14000 Cap. with 1200# hitch weight without equalizing. It is available as an entire bumper also and can be had with a drawbar. I put it on because people on this forum where complaining about elongating hitch pin holes.Stu

Deputy D Man
03-25-2002, 01:23
Piaa Man
I towed all last summer pulling my three axle boat trailer over 10,000 miles with out any ill effects. Total weight of trailer and boat 12,600.
Good towing
Ed
2001 Duramax CC 3500 LB/Auto

odoh
03-25-2002, 10:32
Would heat treating the unit be a drawback? ~ odoh

dmaxstu
03-25-2002, 16:41
I have a feeling they resolved the elongated hitch pin hole issue. when I read about these issues it kind of made up my mind about buying the Quick& Easy hitch which I had contemplated. The Quick& Easy is a real neat hitch it is spring loaded so it cushions the load when you take off and stop also the receiver moves in and out and from left to right just in case you're not dead on when backing up to the trailer tongue. I use that feature quite a bit. In the mean time I have a brand new receiver for sale never been used.$100 plus shipping I think that is half of what the GM parts dept wants for it. Stu

Kennedy
03-26-2002, 23:35
The Draw Tite 4100 series is my personal choice...

bora
04-07-2002, 00:43
I am towing newbie and quite confused about the
hitch types.

My 2500HD Duramax had the trailering package. The factory booklet says I can tow up to 7500 lbs
and 1000 lb tongue weight with this hitch.

Is that correct?

Also, if I get a weight equalizing hitch that slides into the factory receiver hole like the Draw Tite, can I safely tow around 10K pounds with 1000 lbs tongue weight.

Thanks

Bora

29mdla
04-07-2002, 08:08
I switched to a ShurPull class 5 hitch(2"x2") last year. Overkill because I do not pull over 7-8K total, but I feel better.

Pizza Man
10-08-2002, 09:45
Well my concern turned into reality this summer. The stock hitch came apart at the welds. So I went into A dealer and bought a new one. Not the same as stock but a draw-tite. The dealer said the warranty would not cover it. Since I was in a jam (trailer was hooked up and I was 500 miles from home) I had to buy what the dealer had in stock.

toophless
10-08-2002, 13:26
I don't have a lot of towing experience, however, I've spent most of my life as a machinist/fabricator/welder with about 15 years as a drag car chassis builder. The first thing I changed on the new truck was the receiver. 40 Grand on the truck, another 10 Grand on the trailer and practically everything I own inside (I'm moving). I chose Reese Class V Titan. The factory hitch is just sad. Light duty materials and poor design. If anyone wants my factory hitch, just ask, it's free...but you'll have to sign a waiver! smile.gif