PDA

View Full Version : Westin step boards on a crew cab

AKDmax
03-24-2002, 21:59
Looking for some pics and opinions on the westin step boards on a crew cab. So many choices for boards out there.

Deputy D Man
03-25-2002, 09:46
AKDmax
I just installed the westin bars on my 2001 CC. It took about 15 minutes a side. They seem very strong and in my hummble opinion look pretty good given the fact they are black and I am not trying to draw attention to them. Use all the new hardward they send as the factory bolts are not of proper design for the fitting of the bars. Good luck. Ed

Maverick
03-25-2002, 11:03
AKDmax,

Are you going to Custom Truck when you come down? I like the Luverne steps. They bolt on in 5 min. I have a reg cab though. They seem to be the least expensive line that he carries. I had mine painted to match the truck. See you in a couple weeks. I'll have them decals for you.

Jeff :D

westies
04-02-2002, 21:16
Pick up the new truck as below on thursday and have been looking at same board. I too would appreciate some info on this. Local installer says it is much like the Ford PSD board and is really problem free. Being that I am an x Powerjoke owner and liked their boards, this seems like a good choice to me.

AKDmax
04-02-2002, 22:26
Sorry about that Maverick. Missed the post. Yes, as soon as the truck shows I'm takin a road trip down (after the 500 miles of course). It's not here yet, but should be close. I'm planning a trip to custom truck to pick up some goodies. Thanks for holdin the decals...

Silver Bullet
04-02-2002, 22:54
AKDmax,
I have black Westin nerf bars on my CC. Like Deputy D Man said, they were very easy to mount. The center support is a self tapping bolt...my drivers side striped out before I even had it snug. I simply tapped out to next larger size hole and inserted the proper size bolt with a lock washer. Problem fixed. It is not visable unless you are on your back under the truck. I weigh in around 260 lbs and these things are sturdy. I tried it with out the center support because I liked the look, but it flexed too much with my weight on it. So, I put the center supports on. You can see some in my link below.

TimofCharlotte
04-03-2002, 11:00
From what I've read, the Westin Platinums seem to be the current best, based on manufacturing process of using chrome over stainless. Best of both worlds if you want em to shine.
I noticed in the Westin home page that they are coming out with (maybe already available) a version that goes from wheel well to wheel well for the crew and extended cabs. That had only been available in a couple mfrs till now. I think if you have a desire to go from well-well, you may want to wait and consider what Westin has to offer.
The Westin site is http:\www.westinautomotive.com

TofC :cool:

bora
04-03-2002, 18:08
I just ordered Cord OEM running boards for my crew cab from AZ trucks. I am hoping that they are good.

The installation is supposedly easy.

westies
04-06-2002, 21:49
Just arrived home after fighting all day with Westin Step Boards (not Westin Tube Steps) and the story is the 93" boards for the CC do not fit with moulded front flaps. You have to have a flat front flap in order to install them and they will still stick past the back of the cab by almost 2 inches. I was not impressed with the finish of these boards and the plastic/rubber material is very thin and I think it will warp with time. So now I have no boards. Looked at the Putco 4" tube steps and seeing nothing else is available, I guess I will have to put those on. The JJ is a nice looking board but not for the winter conditions we get here.

Calgary
04-06-2002, 21:53
Westies - have you checked out the DeeZee SS Elites?