PDA

View Full Version : New Transfer Flow Short Bed Replacement Tank..

bobojay
05-30-2002, 01:27
Has anyone tried the new 45 gallon tank yet from TF? Just wondering if there is any fuel gage reading problems since the OE pump/sending unit is reused.
TF told me the new tank is no deeper than stock but slightly wider and much longer......

mdrag
05-30-2002, 08:32
bobojay,

I've not had any fuel gauge problems with the TFI 56 gal midship replacement tank for the long bed - and it too uses the OEM fuel sender. I wouldn't expect the 45 gal tank to behave any differently.

I remember a few posts describing the low fuel light coming on if the fuel gauge did not move within so much time or so many miles - confuses the truck's computer to think the gauge/sending unit is not working properly - IIRC this occured with aux tanks that transferred fuel to the main tank and kept it reading full...I don't recall anyone having problems with the replacement tanks.

ndamico
05-30-2002, 08:59
I Will let you know, i have a 7am appointment at their facility in chico on june 7th! :D :D :D

bobojay
05-31-2002, 10:21
Thanks for the replies. I ordered one yesterday from Ben at their hdqtrs. Found out just shooting the bull that the chief engineer there used to be a GM chassis engineer at the Fremont plant and later in Detroit before joining TF. Just a tidbit of info.
I'm installing it myself with a friend's assistance. We both are or were GM hourly employees that during our illustrious careers on the assembly line have installed gas tanks.
Ben said delivery won't be for 3 to 4 weeks because these tanks for the new HD's sales have been tremendous and they can't keep up!

jstbks
05-31-2002, 11:29
bobojay,

Can I drive up and let you put one on my truck also?

Brian ;)

bbugg
05-31-2002, 15:22
Hey,
You will have about ten gallons left when your light comes on. This tank was a pleasure to install. It was one of the few times that I did not have to modify anything. (I posted a bunch of info several months ago when I first got mine - take a look)
Hasta

ndamico
06-06-2002, 00:44
I will let you guys know friday. I'm having the 45 gal short box tank installed. then its back to sacramento to pickup the boat and up to lake berryessa for the weekend... i'll keep ya posted

ndamico
06-07-2002, 14:29
Just got back from TransferFlow's factory with my new 45 gal tank. very nice facility, nice quality product. they they even measured the different spots on my fuel guage, so i know how much go go juice i have left at a given point. now i have my old tank and fill neck. wonder what to do with that? overall i'm quite pleased. they have a nice couch for napping on too! :cool:

wizkid
06-09-2002, 13:40
If you figure out what to do with the old tank, let me know.
I'm thinking about seeing if a local junkyard will take it.

txguppy
06-09-2002, 18:05
Hey guys, what do these tanks for the SWB HD's cost? I would really like the extra range.

txguppy

29mdla
06-09-2002, 19:26
My 45gal tank was delivered yesterday. Will install it Sat. From looking at it you would think it was bigger than 45gal. Lot of instructions, will let my son read them he thinks you have to read the instructions first.

mdrag
06-09-2002, 23:05
txguppy,

Here is the link for Transfer Flow's website for all the details:

www.transferflow.com/html/gm_tank_0.html

Don't forget the fast fill fillneck option :D . TFI's tanks are $$$ but first rate.

dl537
06-10-2002, 22:17
I just got back from Chico after having a 45gal. tank installed, it is a first class operation. I also had the large fill hole installed so I can use truck stops when I am towing. They were a pleasure to work with.

ndamico
06-12-2002, 00:22
Does anyone with the 45 gal tank notice it hanging down below the frame rails? mine does by 2-3 inches. that would be the only thing i might change about it..i'd hate to bottom it out and crush my tank! :confused:

dl537
06-12-2002, 09:00
Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed. I am off-road quite a bit with my truck and I hope it does not become a problem. I think having the extra fuel will be worth it though.

SF Jakey
06-12-2002, 10:32
I can't say enough good things about these guys and their product. I had my 45 gal tank installed on May 31 and have had no fuel gauge issues. As for off road, if you go to the plant, they will show you their testing facility where they fill the tanks with water and drop them onto jagged objects from 40 feet, with no damage to the tanks. I also do alot of off road, and this was a concern until I saw the test. The engineer I spoke with at the plant told me basically, you can not hurt this tank. This is by far the best addition to my truck yet!
It also holds more than 45 gal. because there is a 10% vapor space built into the design which you can fill most of also.

29mdla
06-12-2002, 15:10
What is most anyone has put into the 45gal tank or I should how much over the 45gal?

29mdla
06-15-2002, 14:12
Installed the tank this morning with the TFI fill neck. Took about 3 hrs with my son helping. Filled up the tank with these results +- 1/2 gal:
empty=8gal, 1/4=13gal, 1/2=20gal, 3/4=28.5, full=36.5 and full to the top of the neck =49gal. I wish someone made a flow gage that would tell you how much fuel you have used, it would make it easy then to know how much you have left in the tank

Norm B
06-16-2002, 21:59
I just got back from Chico after having my 45 gallon tank installed. Ditto what people say above. My mid-tank readings supplied by Transfer Flow were just a little higher than 29MDLA's. I arranged the purchase thru the dealer I bought the truck from and saved about $100.

As a bonus we got to see a B25 Mitchell WWII bomber warm up and take off from the Chico airport. It was in there for some repairs.