PDA

View Full Version : I GOT PICS!! 255/85's on a DUALLY!!!

CanadaKev
05-30-2002, 21:26
OK guys here goes. This is an experiment. If they don't show up in my sig, try this. That first l looks like a 1 but it's not it's an l(L), Kev http://www.ldphotostation.com/viewalbum.asp?id=47714053-7441-11D6-9590-0004ACA36777&album=0

mdrag
05-31-2002, 10:17
CanadaKev,

Tires and wheels look great! How did you get the rear of your dually to sit so level?

I'm going to move this topic to the 2500HD/3500 ACCESSORIES forum.

NickLeinonen
05-31-2002, 10:35
damn.. that looks f'n mint. thanks for the pics.

01_Duramax_Dually
05-31-2002, 10:41
CanadaKev,
A couple of questions,

Did you have to use a spacer for the wheels in the back?

Did it require front end mods so the tires did not hit?
How much did affect your speedo?

I am not worried about calibrating necessarily but I know the Allsion might need it for proper shifting.

Truck looks Great. Thanks for the Pics

CanadaKev
05-31-2002, 11:45
mdrag,
Sorry for posting this in the wrong place. I'll try and be more heads up next time. "How did I get rear of dually to sit so level?" Don't exactly know what you mean. Side to side, it naturally sits level with an almost empty tank. With a full tank the left side sits 1" lower than the right side. I didn't make any adjustments from stock.

01_Duramax_Dually,
Yes I had to use the spacers with these tires. Empty I have 2" Between the squat on an 1 3/4" spacer. So if I never put a load in it I would probably be fine, but pulling a 20,000lb goose-neck I would have a constant bond that would create too much heat and likely blow tires.
'Modify front end?'
Because of the mudflaps on the front(which are screwed to the inside of of the fender well and are 1/4" thick) I get some rubbing on the left side at full crank to the right and going over uneven ground. I am going to attempt a 3" body lift on this truck that should alleviate that problem. I don't want to take the mudflaps off.

These tires put my speedo out by 8.5%, which lowers my rpm's and it should burn less fuel.
Kev

mackin
05-31-2002, 12:58
CanadaKev,

I'm shouting here ....... "NICE" ...... Looks dam good ........

Level ..... Front to back ..... Mine even with four crank's on the T-Bars still sits nose down ....... How magically did you do it?

Them spacers make a big'ole gap .... Well, it looks that way in the PICS .......
I like it . Nothing should be little on these trucks .. WERE "KING" OF THE ROAD ... After all ........Us Big dually guy's .....

Looking forward to the arrival of my spacers next week ....... I opted for the alum ...... I'm trying to lighten the load ..... It's a go fast thing .... Trying to spread them HP'S & TQ'S around...

....... MAC....... :D :D

[ 05-31-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CanadaKev
05-31-2002, 13:55
mdrag & mac,
Level front to back? It sits high in the back almost 3", same as all these trucks. Pics must be an optical illusion smile.gif
I haven't touched the torsion bars yet.
Mac,
I know, big gap, and yours is gonna be bigger.
If I'm successful with the 3" body lift I might even try 285's on 'er. I've got 285's on my '94 Burb with a body lift, and I like 'em. Although with 285's I would have to get at least 8" wheels, and I'm not quite ready to shell out the $$$.

SWLA
05-31-2002, 15:40
CanadaKev,

Those tires look great on the truck. I have been looking at the Discoverer S/T in 255/85 as a replacement for the lame firestones. You are the first guy on here running those tires that I am aware of. They look like they fall in between an AT and a MT. How is the ride and noise level compared to the firestones? I hope y'all don't mind someone whose truck only has 4 tires crashing the party.

CanadaKev
05-31-2002, 17:59
SWLA,
Sure we'll let ya in with only 4 pieces o' rubber. I'm not prejudice(as long as your drivin' a Chevy) smile.gif You guys down there get firestones off the line? I thought we were bad with our Goodyears. The Wrangler A/T is not that bad a tire, it's just that 215's are way too small for a truck this size.(just my opinion)
You're right, the Discoverer S/T is a cross between an A/T & an M/T, and the highway noise puts it right between the two. I don't mind it. Sounds aggressive the way a truck should sound. It also rides pretty firm, but I am running max air(65lbs). If I dropped them down to 50lbs it would soften up the ride a bit. Depends what you like. Everyone has their own taste. Kev

mdrag
05-31-2002, 23:00
CanadaKev,

I was referring to the front to back level - in most of your pics, it appears that your truck doesn't have the standard 3500 rear up/nose down stance.

A closer look at one of your pics shows a slope to the driveway - and it makes your truck look level front to rear. The sloping driveway is not obvious in all the pics.

I was hoping you had found 'the answer'... :D

I have two questions about the spacers:

1)Is the spacer hub centered on the inside mounting surface?

2) How does the ouside dual wheel line up with the spacer - hub centered or by the studs?

Timberline
06-01-2002, 18:03
LOOKS GREAT !
You are right these trucks should never come with 215's. Thanks for the pictures, it looks like I will be making the switch to the 255's now. Oh well it's only money, atleast thats what I keep telling myself.

NickLeinonen
06-01-2002, 21:10
for those dually owners that are trying to "one up" each other, interco makes a 35x10.50x16 ssr tire that can be massaged onto a 6" wheel. hmm. 6" lift, and 7 35x10.50x16's and you'll be king of the hill, for a little while [until someone does the sus. lift + body lift and some 36" or 38" michelins xml or xzl or some denman 305/85/16's] lol!!

CanadaKev
06-01-2002, 23:53
mdrag,
Answer to ?#1- yes
?#2 The spacer has its own studs. The outside wheel is centered by the studs but there is still a bit of play. I put on 4 nuts and just snugged them up a bit. Lifted the rear end right of the ground and put her in gear. Just let the wheels spin at an idle. You can use anything to put up against the side of the wheel, close to the bottom of the rim to see if it is running true. Once you are satisfied that the wheel is turning true tighten up all the lug nuts and check it again. To me, this is the weak spot in the system. It's up to the lug nuts to hold the wheel on center. I'm tempted to try and have a shim made so the wheel could be in contact with the hub, via the shim. Thus using the hub to center the wheel.

Nick,
Sounds to me like you've almost got yourself talked in to buying a D-Max Dually smile.gif
Right now your just living out your fantasies through the rest of us smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
I would love to install a suspension lift and put on big honkin' rubber, But from a practical standpoint I would have a hang of a time trying to hitch up the cattle trailer and keep it relatively level :D ;)

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: CanadaKev ]</p>

oneton
06-02-2002, 00:11
CanadaKev, The truck looks KILLER. Great job.

Oneton
94 6.5 TD Rocky Ridge conversion

[ 06-02-2002: Message edited by: oneton ]</p>

mdrag
06-02-2002, 01:21
CanadaKev,

Thanks for the explanation.

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-03-2002, 16:44
Nick,

I have been toying with the idea of doing the lift and mounting narrow 35" tires. I beleive that the 35x10.50 Swampers are only availible for a 15" rim.

The problem with the Super Swapers, I had 36" swampers on a 4x4 F350 Crew Cab Single wheel, is the poor mileage and speed ratings on those tires.

I think the first blowout, literally, came at 80 mph after about 8,000 miles.

All of the tires were completely done, no tread, after about 18,000 miles.

Anyway, I can't really do anything in that regard until I find a set of 16x8 dually wheels.

SoCal

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

NickLeinonen
06-03-2002, 17:51
if you go to interco's web site ---&gt; http://www.intercotire.com/html/ssr_series.htm &lt;--- you can see on the the ssr site that they now have a 35x10.50x16 that is out now or coming out very soon...

if i had a dually, i don't think i would do what i was dreaming or in my post above. i would do the 255/85/16 with spacers or then some 245/70/19.5 goodyear g124's and some app or alcoa wheels [the alcoa's are suppose to be coming soon] in a 19.5"x 6.75". or if not the alloy wheels, have stockton make up a set..

mdrag
06-03-2002, 21:00
NickLeinonen,

The future Alcoas you mention in 19.5" x 6.75" - will this be a direct bolt on 8 lug wheel?

I recently read a reference to 8 lug 19.5" Alcoas on another forum. I believe the poster was affiliated with www.ricksontruck.com , and indicated these new 19.5" Alcoas would be sold exclusively through Rickson, and he quoted a $4k price for a complete alum 19.5" package with wheels/tires/mounting/balancing (didn't specify, but I suspect two steel inner duals/4 alum)...I called Rickson and they confirmed the addition of Alcoa made wheels sometime...

The 16" Alcoa Hotshots for our trucks have been delayed many times...I've been checking on them since 09/01, and the latest is maybe 07/02...

There are adapters available to go from 8 lug to 10 lug, then you can use 19.5" 10 lug Alcoas currently on the market. You can run 2 Alcoas per dual if you like, since the adapters are machined with a wide enough lip to accept two aluminun wheels. The adapters and both rear duals maintain the hub piloted mounting with this set up.

The APP wheels are another option, if you like their styling. However, it has been mentioned that APP does not sell a steel wheel, so if you use 2 APP wheels per dual on the '01 3500s, the inner dual is hub piloted, and the outer dual is stud piloted. Also, I've heard the APP wheels run $500 each or more...

Lot's of $$$$ choices... :D

[ 06-03-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

mackin
06-04-2002, 19:15
CanadaKev,

Wow, should have checked back sooner ........ Why didn't you convert to the old style 60* conical self centering lug nuts? That is what I'll be running . Hopefully I will not have that problem. Doesn't sound to trust worthy the other way........ The ULTRA WHEELS I'm running require the conical set lugnut ....... There is no difference, that I noticed, from the lugnut seat of the old rims ,to the new ones. The only difference is the back spacing, because of the brake caliper ..... The older dually had a steel plate that went on prior to nuts. Easily had if needed ...... My spacers, will be in I hope this week, I'll NAY or HEY the are great, when I get them .......

MAC

PS: If you need nuts I got a link ..... If you got American denaros...... HE HEEEE tongue.gif

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Ranger354
06-04-2002, 20:13
CanadaKev,

I am running 285's on my truck and have No problems with rubbing. I use it for everything on and off road. I plan on putting 255's on my new truck because I want the better load rating. Here is a picture of the Grey Ghost.

http://www.fishingworks.com/Users/UserFolders/ranger354/PhotoImages/99truck1.jpg

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: Ranger354 ]</p>

CanadaKev
06-05-2002, 14:18
Mac,
These wheels don't have a bevelled lug nut seat to take the shape of the conicals. I already looked at that possibility. And I'm not quite ready to buy a set of Ultras Any ideas?

mackin
06-05-2002, 15:36
CanadaKev,

I don't recall seeing a beveled seat on the old style rims either .....Again they had this steel plate that was installed (factory) prior to the lug nuts . I don't recall that being beveled either .....I thought it was just for friggen looks ;) .... I' za gonna have to look into this ...... I had an old rim 90 ish, that I got hung up on the caliper and the hole looked square to me ....... Not beveled ;) .

The ULTRA WHEEL required 60* lugs ...... All though you could clearly see that a mag wheel nut, with a flat washer (there was a recess) could be used ...... But our studs are "SHORTIES" ...... Wouldn't reach with the stock lug nuts ....Yet it would bottom out a 14mm 1.5 chrome closed nut,in the rear :confused: .....Hence my delays,and bags of nuts I had to bring back ....(on edit can I say that here? tongue.gif ) I'm sure they (U-W) are for multiple application as I was told they (the set I have) will bolt right up to a, brace yourself, Dodge ...... I'm going to check out the ordeal ......In the next couple days ...... My buddy has a 93 truck, and new, old rims, up the waz zoo ......

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CanadaKev
06-05-2002, 16:59
mac,
Had the Front End Torsion Bar Leveling kit installed today(ordered it from hill4wheeldrive.com) lifted the front end 3". What a difference!! Leveled out the truck and looks way better. Oh and by the way, I gots de JUICE!!!!!! WWWWWOWWWWW!!!!!!! H*** SH** THIS THING IS FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif I was smilin' all the way home!!!!!!

mackin
06-05-2002, 18:35
CanadaKev ,

HOLY S**T is right . I find it so amazing ....... Today I stopped in the gas station for a stick of gum ....... I pulled up, window down ,next to a Yellow HORSE'E car with no top ?????? ..... He is looking at me incisively. Like "HUH" what's with the guages ,,,, Amateur ..... I do the old "WHAT'S UP" !!!!!!! . His reply . "NICE TRUCK" ...... I go "YEA, IT'S A LOAD" !!!! ....... "WHAT TO RUN IT" ....... ? HE laughs ....... I said "NO, REALLY, DO YOU WANT TO RUN ME" ?? He snickers gets in and drive's away. That PA PA ..... PUSSY ...... GHEEEESH ..... Where is all the competition spirit ...... It's not like I told him nuttin ...... I think the word is out in the neighbor hood or something ......I'm going to have to MOVE .......

MAC smile.gif

You got PICS up .......?

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CanadaKev
06-05-2002, 19:06
Yup Mac, I think the words out. Nobody wants to mess wif ya an' that big dooley :D :D Bummer eh? No pics yet but I'll try to get on it. Bin busy farmin' these past few days ;)