PDA

View Full Version : What flloor jack to buy for working on the truck and where to raise it

bora
05-29-2002, 00:13
All my floor jacks were purchased to slide under a lowered race car and do not have the travel or the height to lift the truck.

I am planning on swapping out the shocks sometime and would like to know what floor jack is recommended.

Also once I have the floor jack, where are the best locations to lift the truck from?

Bora

DmaxCC6spd
05-29-2002, 07:23
I have had several floor jacks over the past fifteen years. The only one that I have found to be good is a Lincoln brand. It is available from SummitRacing.com or Sears catalogue. I went through 3 of the 3 ton models from Sears. It had a tendency to slowly lower the load while raised. It seems from people that I have talked to that any of the made in China or Taiwan jacks are junk. My only regret is that at the time I bought my Lincoln, they were $400 new. I got a rebuilt unit for $200 at a local hydraulic shop. They are now only $200 new. You get what you pay for. As for where to lift, I always place a towel on top of the jack to avoid damaging the wax coating on the frame. I usually lift at the rear differential or under one of the front A-arms. Anywhere along the massive frame should be fine. Just use common sence. Of course get a good set of high capacity jack stands too. I found a set at a local KOI auto parts store rated for 12,000 lbs per pair. I think these should securely support the truck.

Plasticfantastic
05-29-2002, 11:13
Good advice on what jack to buy. VERY good advice on the reminder to use jack stands. PLEASE don't take chances, use quality jack stands.
I have seen dead mechanics pulled out from under vehicles, so has my wife. Brutal, usually slow, painful way to go. Made a promise I would preach the value of the stand. ;)

Redhawk
05-29-2002, 14:49
Ditto on the jack stands. I use 4X6 wooden blocks placed on the jack and then jacked against where ever you need a lift point, and it gives you another four inches of travel. I hate to use the rear dif as a lift point for reasons I can't explain very well. Maybe some one else can give an opinion on that.

NickLeinonen
05-29-2002, 15:39
jack stands are the way to go always...

reason to not lift from the diff. pumpkin..

none really.. it does stress the rear axle a bit because you are flexing it in the opposit direction that it is flexing with the weight on the wheels. but if you are lifting, you more than likely have the bed very lightly loaded so it makes no difference really. and if you are using jack stands properly, you are only lifting it for a very short time period, just until you can get the jack stands under the axle or frame.

i usually lift my truck from the lower shock mounts or diff pumpkin in the rear, and from the lower 'a' arms or the front frame [where the 'a' arms mount to in the very front] in the front. if i am doing exhaust tinkering, then i grab it from the frame.

that's just how i see it...

edit:

i use a 3 ton service jack that i got from crappy tire up here in canada. i did have one of those off brand 2.5 ton service jacks, but it didn't like the weight of the diesel in my pop's old truck, and something broke inside it so it leaks down real quick. the jack stands i have are 3.5 ton each i think. they stand about 12" tall when not extended, and they extend about 8". they are old... [i think they are 5-6 years older than i am..]

[ 05-29-2002: Message edited by: NickLeinonen ]</p>

JoeyD
05-29-2002, 15:52
As DmaxCC6sd said don't buy the lincoln from sears. I went threw 3 of them and Sears was terible to deal with. I replaced it with a Lincoln that was 400 bucks and made in THE USA .

Jackmchome
05-29-2002, 17:14
To lift both front wheels at the same time, such as rotating tires, I remove 5 bolts and drop the fiberglass shield for the front bottom of the engine. There is a good, sturdy, point for your jack located there. Ditto jack stands.

mattb5150
06-08-2002, 10:36
For the jack purchase thing I just went thru this a year or so ago. Unfortunately most Lincolns are now also made in Taiwan. Any cheap jack these days is made overseas. Unless your are paying $400 or more you are getting crap. I found a Lincoln that said made in USA at a little independent auto parts store. They had it on there floor for a long time. There is some good info on the web regarding American and foreign made jacks. There are some good ones from Norway or Sweden also. Buy a good one and plan on keeping it for a long time, if the seals go out in 15 years have a hydraulic shop replace them.

Matt B.

txguppy
06-09-2002, 18:22
I've used the same Allied 3 ton floor jack for over 10 years. I don't use it every day, but quite often. Payed about $50 at Sam's. I can't see why ya'll are paying $400 bucksfor jacks&#t??? Just be sure to place your jack stands under the axles !!!!!

txguppy

mattb5150
06-12-2002, 21:07
I payed $400 for a jack cause I don't want to finance the Chi-com's. I try to purchase only US manufactured goods before buying something made in China, and I'd ask everyone else here to think about it also!

Matt B.

deadlyman
06-23-2002, 09:20
I also bought several jacks and found the american made lincon to be the best. Ibught the 3.5 ton version it has a 24 inch lift comared to the 18 inch lift of the 3 ton lincon .just had the jack serviced at the hydrolic shop the shop keeper told me the lincon will no longer be produced in the usa any more so if you whant one better look now.The cost does not matter when your life is at stake.