PDA

View Full Version : VAC pump????

Dvldog 8793
07-26-2004, 04:59
Howdy
I am probably going to put a long block in my truck as I'm almost positive I have a cracked block. Can anybody tell me if the Vac pump is really nessesary? If I go with a heath turbo master to control the waistgate why do I need a vac pump?
Thanks !
L8r
Conley Janssen

Uncle Wally
07-26-2004, 05:45
Devildog,

You don't need the pump to control the wastegate if you eliminate the vacuum controls. If you have the lighter duty truck with EGR, you will still need it though. If you don't have EGR, you should be good to remove it. I did that on mine. It sure opened up a ton of room on that side for the IC. The only problem is that it took me a while to find the right belt to fit. I have the packaging down in the barn if you need to know what part number fits when you remove the pump.

Waldo

Uncle Wally
07-26-2004, 20:58
Devildog,

I'm not sure that all the accesories are in the same location as my 94, but you can try this if you want. Dayco Poly Cog #5060910. That's what I am running on my 94. I used the same belt routing as stock minus the vac pump.

Waldo

Dvldog 8793
07-27-2004, 05:42
Wally-
Thanks for the info! I am in the process of taking everything apart and I might try to gut the pump and turn it into a idler. That way I could retain the stock belt. Mainly in case somebody else(wife) has problems. Also I'm wondering if the computer will set a SES because of no VAC. Maybe I can jumper/short the sensor?
I do think that my "99 has a different belt than yours but I'll see. I have a good conection for cheap/free parts.
Thanks again
L8r
Conley

Uncle Wally
07-27-2004, 06:17
Devildog,

I guess i never thought about the codes part. I bought a chip from John Kennedy that eliminated the boost signal, so I don't get boost codes. I'm not sure what you can do with the OBDII stuff.

Waldo