PDA

View Full Version : Park distance control (parking aid)???

stevem
03-28-2002, 21:06
Hello there.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket park distance control kit? I would like to find a kit that has front and rear sensors.

Finding a parking spot in San Fran that is large enough for my truck is near impossible. With the park distance control I may be a little bit more brave when trying to wedge my truck between two other vehicles.

Thanks, Steve

www.picturetrail.com/stevem

GBurton
03-28-2002, 21:23
Steve

I am working in SF. If you want to chat on the phone you can leave voice mail at 973-7388. I might even answer if I happen to be at my desk.

George

mdrag
03-28-2002, 21:50
stevem,

I installed a back-up sensor system and it works great. However, it would not be usefull for tight parking places - large objects such as a car or a garage door start the warning at 10-12 feet, smaller objects 4-5 feet. Here is the link to the previous post with all the details:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002169&p=

Another thought is to contact Jason at www.jpcustoms.com . Jason was planning a kit to install the back up alarm system from the Escalade on other vehicles - I haven't heard anything more on this and it has been 2-3 months....

Pendlum
03-28-2002, 22:53
Funny you mention this as I'm going to be working on it this weekend. All my parts came in and I'm ready to figure it out, okay, it's R&D.
The system I'm using has 4 sensors that can be mounted inside the bumper (drill some holes) or mounted under the bumper.
I'm going to start with mounting them under the bumper until I get all the R&D figured out.

I'm also going to be hooking it up to the factory switch found in the Escalade. Here's a good picture of the switch.
http://osx.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2000/08/22/WKA2000082252827_pv.jpg
It only fits in the bottom left side of the pod housing, so if you have something there, then it won't work.
Don't worry though as I'm going to be offering a kit without the switch too.
I'm working on a front sensor system too. Let me get this one figured out and then I'll start on the front system.

Pendlum
03-28-2002, 22:54
Okay, so the picture didn't come out, but the web address is there.

LA DMAX
03-29-2002, 00:44
Glad to have you on board Jason. I'll be ordering a homelink system from ya soon.
Later

LA DMAX

Nevada Hauler
03-29-2002, 01:27
Steve,

If you don't have any success with the sensor systems you might want to give some thought to small video cameras and a monitor system.

Pendlum
03-29-2002, 23:41
I've thought about a video option, but everything I've seen is that the camera is a constant upkeep. The lens gets dirty all the time and many times you can't see out of it unless you wipe it off.
I'm sure I'll be able to figure out the 4 sensor system, but I will look into the camera as an option down the road.

AzKevin
03-30-2002, 08:57
As mdrag describes some parking aid systems compare the returned echo amplitude and draw conclusions that the object is near or far. This approach will be confused by the size of the target. Better designs measure range by comparing how long it takes a pulse of energy to be received from a distant object.

SoCalDMAX
03-30-2002, 20:22
The wifey's car has every gizmo in the world. In- dash GPS, female voice telling you which way to turn, DSP effects on the stereo, integrated cell phone, address book, pushbutton privacy screen, true HID lights, ABS/skid control, electronically controlled shocks, V-12, parking distance indicator and bun warmers.

She thinks the bun warmers are the best... go figure.

The parking distance system beeps more rapidly as you approach an object and IIRC, seems to work linearly/consistently regardless of object size. I don't know if it's microwave, IR or ultrasonic.

The same looking sensors (4 front, 4 rear on wife's car) appear to be mounted on rear of my neighbor's F350 dually. He says his works fine also.

Does anyone know what method they use? I would think they should all be using transmit/receive delay to measure distance. IR should be equally as accurate or more than the extremely high microwave freqs. (40Ghz and above.)

I'm not too concerned about how "factory" the install looks, as long as I know it performs consistently, I'd be happy. That said, anything coming out of Jason's hands is gonna look like it rolled out of the factory door anyways. ;)

Regards, Steve

stevem
03-30-2002, 21:20
Thanks guys.

SoCalDMAX, based on how you described your wife's car, it sounds like she has a BMW E-38 750IL (I have been a dealer BMW tech for 13 years)this car has a top rate PDC system which has front and rear sensors and a system off button under the heating and AC controls.

I did some searching on the Net and found the Auto Park 2000. Price is $39 and the manufacturer claims it is adjustable to suit the needs of the driver.

If it does not work then I am out $40,(oh well) if it does work I will get another one for the front of the truck.

Bought it at www.bow-gun-hunting-sports.com/cutlery1.htm

Thanks, Steve.

mdrag
03-30-2002, 23:13
SoCal,

"IR should be equally as accurate or more than the extremely high microwave freqs. (40Ghz and above.)"

That may be true, but IR sensor effectiveness will be affected by water (rain), dirt, mud, snow etc. much more easily than a microwaves sensor - something to consider for those than live elsewhere other than weather perfect SoCal... :D

AzKevin
03-31-2002, 09:00
Steve,

While working in San Diego I had a chance to do some ultrasonic R&D.

The cheap parking aid solutions are an all analog design with a hardware detector driving an audible alert. Based on probabilties of false alarms a certain predetermined amplitude threshold is used to decide when to drive the alarm. Ultrasonic transducers can be driven by a 40khz sinusoid for about 1msec and turned off for 19msec. The transmit occurs during the on cycle and the receive occurs during the off. So the same transducer can be used to receive the waveform. The principle is similar to radar where 1nsec represents ~1ft of range resoution. For the ultrasound 1msec represents ~1ft of range distance.

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: AzKevin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
03-31-2002, 12:39
Wow, I learn more all the time! You're right Mittie, rain, snow are a major issue to these things. I haven't seen rain in months, I forgot all about it.

Stevem, Yup, nailed it. I didn't even know it was an E38 until a month ago! Any idea if it's a microwave unit?

Kevin, I had no idea you worked on these at one time. So in theory, the IRs would work good, but not in bad weather.

I wonder what the price range is on the microwave units?

Jason, is that one you're working on a microwave design? If you need a dufus willing to drill holes in his bumper, email me at socaldmax@cox.net. If you need some excellent electrical engineering advice, contact AzKevin. ;)

Regards, Steve

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]</p>

mdrag
03-31-2002, 15:13
SoCal,

My guess is that the setup on your wife's 750iL is IR - there is no way you should be driving that 750 without a good radar detector if you value your license - if the sensors were MW they would likely set off your radar dectector. Also, don't forget there are 4 sensors (I think) and that provides some extra margin.

The Jacob's system uses MW - when I put the truck in reverse and activate the back up alarm system, my V1 beeps with (2) radar sources to the rear (2 MW sensors)... I had thought of adding a switch to turn the MW sensors ON/OFF at will in additon to having it wired up to the reverse lights - might be a good deterrent to tailgaters if you noticed they had a radar dectector... :D

sonofagun
03-31-2002, 20:47
stevem,

Mittie is right. Get with Jason of jpcustoms.net. As he says he is working on a unit right now and he may be able to help you in the process.

Good luck,
Bob

Pendlum
04-01-2002, 23:33
Hey Guys, installed the sensors under the bumper over the weekend and then got tied up with bbq and eating, so I had to quit. The sensors look really good, but I still have some wiring to figure out.
I thought they may hang too low under the bumper, but you can't even see them unless you're looking for them.
The system I'm working with is ultrasonic. I'll post some pictures soon.

SoCalDMAX
04-02-2002, 00:03
Jason,

Sounds great!

I really think you need to test it out under all conditions. Like sun, sand, roller bladers, skateboarders, bikinis, suntan lotion, beer, tequila, etc.

Not just BBQ sauce. Send one out here and I'll let you know how it works... ;)

Beggin' pretty hard, Steve

stevem
04-02-2002, 01:29
SoCalDMAX.

Your wifey's car has an ultrasonic sonar PDC system.It is a very good system.I have not had to do any repairs on this system other than the replacement of a harness due to some bonehead at a stereo shop cutting into the wires.

Steve

AzKevin
04-02-2002, 17:06
That's it, I'm going back to Cali, to Cali,... smile.gif

sonofagun
04-04-2002, 10:01
On Jason's post just remove the [IMG] at both ends and you can see the Escalade pictures.

Bob

MudNurI
04-07-2002, 06:45
Okay you guys have gotten me VERY confused.

what the heck are you talking about? something that beeps when you are to close to an object? I just don't get it...
do you turn it on and off when you want to? or is it going to be beeping if your stopped at a red light, with someone in front of and behind you? I have never in my life heard of such a thing....but then again, I don't have any problem parking the truck, when in doubt, I back it in. After all, married to a truck driver, and as he says' "mirrors dont lie"...

can someone explain this to thingy to me?

beep beep!
Brandy

mdrag
04-07-2002, 11:23
MudNurI,

Here is a link to a previous post describing the R.O.S.S. back up alarm system I installed:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=002169&p=

If the back-up alarm is powered by the reverse light circuit, it will only be active when the vehicle is in reverse. Pics/more details of this set-up at the link in my sig. :D

stevem
04-09-2002, 19:25
Last Wed I installed the Auto Park 2000.I am happy with the results, not bad for $40.

I have tested it while backing towards many objects including a cyclone fence, bike, car,truck,metal pole, wooden pole,kids, adults,dogs,etc,etc.

The sensor works very well with wide objects.Narrow objects are not picked up as well if they are not centered with the sensor(sensor is only as wide as the rear lic plate).

Install of the sensor took about 20 min.Only 4 wires for the system, one to the reverse light power wire and the other one to grnd.The other 2 wires are for the in cab speaker which took about 45 min to route thru the frame and up into the cab.

I like it smile.gif Steve.