PDA

View Full Version : Firestone Ride Rite

christo
06-02-2002, 19:59
Is anyone useing the Firestone Ride Rite air suspension on their K2500 HD trucks?
When I pull my 5th wheel it sets the back down just enough to cause the headlights to to high, so I have to always drive on dim.
When I installed the air bags the 3" bumper between the frame and axel had to be removed so that the airbag could go in its place.
The problem is the airbag takes up much more space, plus a plate is added to the axel so that when the truck is loaded the ride is very poor with little room for spring action.
I'm sure that by adding a fair bit of air the ride would improve; but the whole idea was to just level the truck not run with the back high
Any ideas?

christo

chipper
06-02-2002, 22:15
christo,
I carry 50-60 lbs in my Firestones & with a pin wt of 2200 lbs my 2500 sits level. Sure makes the unit a lot more stable too.

chipper

3176CATPOWER
06-03-2002, 10:35
Had a set on a 1998 GMC half ton and had to let air out when not towing fifth wheel to maintain ride height.Took about 22 lbs. of air to hold up 1500 lbs. of pin weight.Maybe if you took the valve cores out when you let the air out it would ride better empty.Other than that I do not know of a cure.

sonofagun
06-03-2002, 15:33
The bags act as the bumper. Don't completely deflate them. You risk cutting them if you bottom the suspension. I carry 5 lbs in mine when I'm not towing. They don't seem to make any difference in the ride over the jounce bumper.

Good luck,
Bob

christo
06-05-2002, 21:03
Thanks for all the help/suggestions.
After 4 tries I got to talk to some techie type at Firestone. He readily admitted that the Ride Rite air bags take up to much space for the K2500 HD 3/4T trucks; but "That was the best they do with what they where dealt"
I have removed the bottom plate that rests on the truck axle. The air bags seem to remain right on the original bumper (?) plate.
Will try it loaded this week-end. The extra 1.5" between the frame and axle is bound to help the ride.

christo