PDA

View Full Version : ?s about In-dash DVD players and Monitors...

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-03-2002, 16:01
First, I just got my truck last weekend and I think it is going to take a long time for that smirk to come off my face.

While this is my first post, I have lurked on this board for about 2 months. I learned alot about these trucks prior to my purchase. Thank you.

Anyway, I might have a late start but I am willing to dive right into the "gotta beat MDrag" olympics.

The first upgrade being done to "the Beast" is a mobile dvd system. I am not looking for a backseat system. I want a DVD/Monitor head unit that replaces the existing factory stereo.

Has anybody tried installing an Alpine/Sony/Pioneer unit into the existing opening?

Also, does anyone know how to disable the "play only when in park" safety mechanism in these in-dash units.

Thanks,

SoCal

ndamico
06-03-2002, 18:10
i have an alpine head unit in my '97 that's currently for sale, and you either have to ground out an "e-brake sensor" or make (buy on ebay) a sequencer to fool it out..then you can watch tv/dvd on the road..

bora
06-03-2002, 18:23
And if you are watching DVD while you are driving please stay off Northern CA roads. I don't want anyone that I know get endangered by a 6600 lbs truck.

The e-brake sensor is there for a reason.

NutNbutGMC
06-03-2002, 19:11
QUOTE: <Anyway, I might have a late start but I am willing to dive right into the "gotta beat MDrag" olympics.> END QUOTE

LMFAO...Good luck newbie.. :D :D

DMAX Daddy
06-04-2002, 00:16
Being from California I wish to mention DO NOT let Ponch & Jon see your dash mounted DVD player on while driving. Its their new "Bust of the Week" here in Ventura County. :(

One of my coworkers got nailed for $500 last week and its almost physically impossible for him to see it while driving, but its in the dash and it was on while he was driving.

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-04-2002, 02:51
ndamico,

Thanks... I have been eyeing the Pioneer AVX-7300DVD (in-dash DVD player & 7" Monitor) package that comes with AVM-9000R (Audo/Visual Controller w/ dolby surround sound) and then toss in a GEX-P7000TV (TV Tuner), a CDX-P1270 (12 disc CD changer), CD-V60 (Voice Command) and a GEX-P900XM (XM radio tuner).

bora,

actually, i want it for the girlfriend. She loves movies and hates long drives. :rolleyes:

Now the TV tuner might make rush hour a little easier for me.

Anyway, I have been know to make bonsai runs, weekend trips, to the Redding area for fishing and I am always on 395 since I have a house up in Mammoth Lakes. If you are ever in the area and you see a charcoal D-max towing a 17' Clacka drift boat, flag me down and I'll take you fly fishing.

NutNbutGMC,

I have been on this forum for less that a day... and you are ALREADY trying to destroy my dreams. :(

However, I will not allow you to rain on my parade. Be berry berry quiet... I'm hunting Mdrag. :D

To be quite honest though, I'll never catch MDrag on quanity of add-ons because I won't change the exterior with add nerfs, bug shields, bumpers and the like. It just isn't my thing. About the only exterior mods that I'll do are wheels and tires. I have to shoot for quality upgrades in areas of importance to me. :D

By the way, he does have a VERY nice truck. Good goal to shoot for...

DMAX Daddy,

If Ponch & John can see into my rig, I deserve the ticket. :mad:

NutNbutGMC
06-04-2002, 04:12
^....Newbie....LMAO.... Elmer would be proud of you. I think you have potential.... How long have you been in California??? I use a laptop with dvd and a power inverter plug-in.

Welcome to the forum and watch out for this Juicer that goes by the handle of Mackin... :D :D

ndamico
06-04-2002, 10:21
Bora,

My girl too loves movies on the road. about the only thing i do is listen to local tv sitting in traffic. and yes the e-brake sensor is there for a reason. it's called liability. a vendor cannot make anything anymore without fear of someone suing them.

Newbie,

I'm not familiar with anything but alpine head units, but mine works quite well. the differential TV antenna's work excellent. If you would like to see some pictures, see the link below:

http://www.wackywack.com/truck.htm

and i hear you on the long road trips. been over nevada a lot lately riding quads. last time was near Yerington.

Dmax Daddy,

Ponch and John must be more hip down in So. Cal. Up here they just look at my truck (like all the others i've seen with TV). besides, who's gonna know the combo of switches to flip to get it to display anything BUT navigation. Definately NOT Ponch or John. Thanks for the heads-up tho. Too bad the truck is for sale. No more video for me anytime soon. Don't know if the new dmax will get it or not. Maybe when i find my sugar momma! Not!

:cool: :cool:

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-04-2002, 13:53
NutNbutGMC,

I have currently been doing the laptop w/ dvd thing.

I pretty much wanted to do the in-dash, tv tuner, voice command & surround sound thing. I keep trucks for a long time. Since I was already planning on replacing the stereo in this thing, I have already rat holed the speakers and amps, I figured that I just might as well get it over with.

Anyway, a laptop w/power inverter does not score points in the Mdrag Olympics. Speaking of power inverters though... I do have a 1000 Watt unit that I am going to mount up and run outlets in the cab and into the bed.

I was born and raised in California but about as redneck, in terms of hunting and fishing being my passions, as an engineer can get.

Heck every Weds. morning during duck season, you'll find my truck in the parking lot of a Hi-Tech business park, in Orange County, with a pair of neoprene waders drying on the tailgate. :D :D :D

ndamico,

Uugghh girlfriends... I am not sure if she did it on purpose or not, probably on purpose, she told me that my new truck was 'really cute'.

Anyway... Nothing is worse than rolling down the highway in BFE at about 3:00 AM, on a hwy that you have driven 200 times in the last 3 years, with everyone asleep, with nothing on the radio, not feeling like listening to the same tried CDs...

Maybe you can help me out here, what is that saying... Un-married boys have all the toys? :D :D :D

Riverholic
06-04-2002, 14:19
I too have been looking for an in-dash unit. I think that I am going to go with the Kenwood KVT-911. It has everything I am looking for(DVD player, TV tuner, and Satelite Radio). E-Bay has the best prices on all the units that I have seen, about $500-1000 cheaper. When you get yours installed let us know how you like it and I'll do the same.

MAXed Out
06-04-2002, 14:34
SoCalDieselNewbie

You said:

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-04-2002, 15:11
Riverholic,

I was looking at the Kenwood as well and the only thing that turned me off to it was the satelite radio was by Sirius.

Have you or any of your friends had any experience with Sirius? I don't know anybody that has any experience with the Sirius system.

I have a friend that has XM in his Dodge Viper and he loves it. That is why I narrowed my options to the Alpine, Pioneer and Sony head units.

MAXed Out,

I believe what you are recommending, while lots of fun, is also an illegal activity while driving. :D

You are correct in regards to the traffic jams around here. I have had days that took me 45 minutes to go 8 miles. I have been know to read magazines or work related stuff during my commutes.

People yell and scream about how unsafe it is but the reality behind the situtation is.... YOU ARE NOT MOVING!

If I really wanted to, I could put the car into park and not bother with a by-pass the e-brake sensor. It would make it annoying to have the tv shutoff when I moved forward that 20'.

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]

[ 06-04-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

DMAXER
06-04-2002, 16:22
I opted for the drop down T.V. for the back seat, and i have a monitor in the passenger visor, and i use ps2 as a dvd player, and game source.

2001 crew cab shortbed
D/A

AKDmax
06-04-2002, 18:19
DMAXER,
Can you post some pics of your setup? I am thinking about doing the same thing. Thanks

02ChevyDMaxCCLB
06-05-2002, 11:32
Thought this would be as good a time as any to make my first post. I have been reading the board for a few months and have learned a great deal from all. I just wanted to jump in and suggest that you take a look at the Clarion VRX925VD. I just recently installed this unit in my truck and have been very happy with its performance. The one nice thing was that I didn't have to purchase separate components in order to watch DVD's like some of the other units on the market. The 7" Widescreen I must say is a nice to have feature as well. I will try to post some pictures of it today at the URL below. smile.gif

ndamico
06-05-2002, 14:12
Newbie,

Gotta agree with you on the traffic 'thang. It isn't quite as bad up in Sacramento, but the bay area sure does bite! Been parked on 680 or 580 many times wactch the traffic camera watching me sit.

My girl actually said cool, not cute...she knew what cute would have done.

Maxed Out,

what do you think we do here with our girls in the car when we're parked on the freeway? when i'm parked by myself i watch tv. when "we're" parked, the TV stays off, as you said! ;) ;) ;)

Riverholic
06-05-2002, 20:33
SoCal, I personally do not have any experience with Sirrus and either do my friends. I was reassured by me local dealer that it is every bit as good as XM. I just went to the Sirrus website and they have a deal to put Sirrus equipped radios in Ford, Chrysler, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz. Right now the price is more than XM(12.95 Sirrus - $9.95 XM). My retailer was telling me that they are going to lower the price to make it competive with XM. In my opinion the Kenwood just seems to have an all in one unit that is perfect for my tastes. Either way you can't go wrong with any of the units they all offer pretty close to the same options.

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-06-2002, 14:33
Riverholic,

I noticed on their website that Sirius is not currently availible in California or Oregon.

They are in Nevada and Arizona but I wonder how good the reception is out on the river.

Riverholic
06-06-2002, 22:01
SoCal,
I wonder too?????

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-07-2002, 12:19
Riverholic,

While I don't have any new info on the Sirius end, I did talk to a friend that does custom work on high end cars like Benzs, Beemers, Porsches, Lambos and Ferraris...

He recommended the Kenwood head unit because of it's ease of use (i.e. can operate w/o the remote) but said that you really can't go wrong with any of the other high-end units like the Alpine, Pioneer & Clarion.

Geez, I thought that I had this figured out... :confused:

By the way, have you seen the new Ferrari Spiders with the F-1 shifter? Pretty wild, especially how they incorperated a seperate lever for reverse. :eek:

ndamico,

Since you are a BMW man, I thought you might appreciate this. Saw David Geffen's new BMW, I believe it was the new 2003 745i, the one that isn't even out yet other than a couple of cars for the press. They dropped it a smidge, put on some incredibly expensive 22" wheels and some 285-30-22 tires.

SoCal

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>