PDA

View Full Version : u-bolts

Derek M
03-30-2002, 20:28
I've got a set of 1.5" blocks I'd like to throw in the rear to offset squat conditions of a heavy load. Anyone know of a source for longer u-bolts for the HD's? Are the 3500 u-bolts longer? I thought they might be a little longer do to the overload spring pack.

I've been able to find squat on the web pages of the popular suspension lift companies.

pullinpower
03-31-2002, 09:01
Derek you may have to go to your off-road shop to get long u-bolts and cut to length,im not so sure the 3500 would be long enough.

IndigoDually
03-31-2002, 11:16
Any good spring shop should be able to make you the exact u-bolt that you need.
Personally I would avoid the blocks and use air bags. You won't have to live with the added height when unloaded and they can actually improve the ride unloaded.

DSLPOWR
03-31-2002, 13:59
Agree with the Air lifts, they work great and don't affect the ride when unloaded. www.airliftcompany.com

SoMnDMAX
03-31-2002, 17:59
I will also recommend the Air Lift bags. With them you'll be able to adjust your ride height. Plus, when the trailer isn't hooked to the truck, you can return the truck to a stock ride height and quality by reducing bag pressure to 5-10 PSI.

The ~ $240 purchase price is well worth it.

Derek M
04-01-2002, 16:55
Local place, the Off Road Shoppe wanted $80 for four custom U-bolts. I ain't payin that. I'm gonna call and see if any of the aftermarket lift companies have u-bolts. I couldn't find anything for just u-bolts on their web pages.

I had a set of Hellwig helper springs on my old 1500, still have them actually. I might put them back on. Though the ubolts for these babies are too short for the larger spring pack on the 2500HD arrrggg. So I would need 8 longer u-bolts to make this work, bummer.

I hear ya on the air bags. I woulda bought them for my old 99 1500 if they woulda had them, instead I ended up with the helper springs cause it was the only thing offered at the time.

I do agree air bags would be best. Maybe in the future I'll do such. Though for now I still think that the blocks I currently have with some longer u-bolts would work great with little investment. I'm sure you guys understand smile.gif

SoMnDMAX
04-02-2002, 00:31
If you have all of the measurements, you could check with your local NAPA or Carquest. I know they have lots of U-bolts available to them, if the counterperson knows how to look something up...

Otherwise, if you have a Fastenal (industrial fastener supply place) closeby, they should be able to order or manufacture what you need.

SoMnDMAX
04-02-2002, 00:34
Fastenal dealer locator-

http://www.fastenal.com/locations/StoreLocator.asp