PDA

View Full Version : Using Aux Lighter Plug

Silver Bullet
03-30-2002, 22:53
I have mounted my GPS in my truck and I am using a lighter power cable (see top pic...http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/truck_mods13.htm). When I have the GPS turned on, I get static on 1 radio station (93.3 FM). This is the only station I have a problem with! :( Any ideas what might be causing this and what the solution would be?

Work arounds...use batteries or don't listen to that station!

NutNbutGMC
03-31-2002, 06:34
^.....Quote:
Work arounds...use batteries or don't listen to that station!
__________________________________________________ __________________

Work around; XM Radio!! You'll never go back to FM again. :D

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

battmain
03-31-2002, 07:39
Temporarily reroute the power cable out the front of the console. Try to get it far from the radio antenna cable. That will tell you if the power cable is too close to the antenna wire...

Brian

Silver Bullet
03-31-2002, 11:05
There are certain routes I can use for the wire that will not cause static...over the mirror, around the center console and through the woods! I have not found a route that I consider usable.

sonofagun
03-31-2002, 21:12
Silver,

Does pulling the cable out of the console stop the interference? If so check with a cb radio outfit (like exportradios.com) and get some cable shielding. It may stop the problem.

NutNBut has the best answer after you fix this check out the XM radio!! Awsome!!

Good luck,

Bob

Silver Bullet
03-31-2002, 22:15
I thought about shielding being an issue. Can I simulate shielding by wrapping the entire wire in tin foil???

sonofagun
04-01-2002, 16:14
If you could find some lead foil it would be better. Lots of tin foil will probably reduce the noise enough for you to know if that is your problem.

Good luck,
Bob

GBurton
04-01-2002, 22:14
Hi Steve

What I believe you are hearing is interference from the microprocessor that is in your GPS. Shielding the power cord may not reduce the interference as the "noise" that you are hearing at 93.3 MHz could be on the power cord or leaking out of the case.

I just looked at your picture on the web site and I suggest you get some snap on "Ferrite Beads". I think they are available at Radio Shack. They look like square black block that has been cut down the middle, with a small grove running the length of the block. They are used to reduce interference on computer cables so Radio Shack might know about them for that problem. Don't let them sell you small permanent magnets in place of actual ferrite beads, don't laugh, I saw it happen.

The installation could not be easier. Lay the power cord in the grove and close the block. There should be a plastic cover that snaps shut. I have used them on many occasions to reduce or prevent interference to many different radio systems. The best part is they are cheap and in most cases they work. Get the one with the smallest grove since your power cable is small. If you have enough extra cable, it will not hurt if you can wrap the power wire back around the bead and place two runs of the wire through the grove. That will lock the bead in place and you will not have a problem with the bead sliding along your power cable. You may need to find a way to keep it from sliding along the power cord. One way is to push it up against your GPS and hold it there with a small plastic tie wrap. Good luck.

George

Silver Bullet
04-02-2002, 08:30
Thanks George. I forgot to mention I did try that without any luck. I looped the cable through a couple times and I still had the static. Does it matter how close to the GPS I put it ferrite beads? If so, I might need try again since I did not put it close to the GPS.

Redhawk
04-03-2002, 10:42
Generally shielding won't help your situation. I seem to remember that an "RF choke" will prevent specific frequencies from interfering and luckily you seem to be dealing with a specific frequency. Radio Shack is ok but you need a step above them. Call a good ham radio store for the best info. Hope this helps.