PDA

View Full Version : Peragon covers

IndigoDually
03-31-2002, 08:40
Has anyone installed a Peragon cover on a dually yet? One of my boxes has arrived and the other should be here on monday. I have a different challenge for my installation due to the back rack that bolts through the stake pockets.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

How many people have them on their trucks and how do you like them?

John

KenZ
03-31-2002, 13:48
John,

Mine shipped Friday, should get it about mid week and hopefully will get it on next weekend.

Previous comments have been favorable, which is why I decided to go with the peragon. I'll let you know what I think in a week or two.,

Ken

DieselsRule
04-01-2002, 12:02
Indigo

I'd like to see it when you got it installed. I'm thinking about the same cover and I am wondering if I should have the bed sprayed first. and or spray under/over the rails

Craig

IndigoDually
04-01-2002, 20:31
Craig, We should get together sometime, I'd really like to ride in a ZF since I am thinking of ordering another truck soon and probably would like a stick though the Allison is sooooo nice.

DieselsRule
04-01-2002, 21:36
We can do that. The ZF is nice especially if you plan on pulling. I'm not,I just wanted to keep the wife from driving it. I'm going to check out DMAX4ME's bed liner one day as well. Perhaps we can all get together. Contact me at csemanchik@rcn.com

Craig

SoCalDMAX
04-01-2002, 23:11
Hi Guys,

I got an email last week that my Peragon was on the way also. Should be here Wed or so.

Craig, I've got a Line-X sprayed on under the rails. Love the Line-X, virtually impossible to gouge it. I've heard of a couple of other spray liners as tough as the Line-X. The Rhino liner was a little too soft for me.

I don't know what the right answer is for under or over the rail. I opted for under 'cuz the line-X dealer said he could apply the rails later if I wanted to add it, but you can't scrape it off. I saw Ssmokybear's truck with it sprayed over the rails, and it looks SHARP!

Regards, Steve

TimofCharlotte
04-02-2002, 10:36
I'm no expert on spray ins, but based on a lot of reviews, it sounded like the Line-X was a bit tougher than the Rhino coat. The other factor that swayed me, when I talked to the dealer in Charlotte, he said that the Line-X will hold it's color much better than the Rhino, that the Rhino would tend to get a 'chalky' look after a while. After hearing that, I looked inside my brotherinlaws truck, Rhino coated a couple years ago (2?), and it is indeed chalky looking. We'll see. Anyone had the Line-X for a couple years to verify how it holds up appearance wise?

IndigoDually
04-04-2002, 17:21
Well, it's in! The install took me a little longer that I thought it would but I am also adapting the mounts to work with my BackRack.

The whole key to get the cover to open and close easily is to make sure that the rails are level from side to side. Don't worry if the rails follow the contour of the bed. If the rails lean in a little the cover will bind and not operate well.

battmain
04-05-2002, 12:56
IndigoDually,

Any pics? Please?

Especially interested in the room inside when the cover is closed. I remember someone posting that there was a bar somewhere inside that interfered with the cargo.

shft22
04-08-2002, 09:50
IndoDually,
YES!!!!!! Pictures please, How good do you think it will be at keeping water out.......Jorge

MaxACL
04-09-2002, 09:47
IndigoDually

I'll let you drive my ZF6 if I can look at your GooseNeck hitch. I'm due back at McGuire this weekend from the sandbox.

Mike

gary.langford@dhafra.af.mil (till the 13th)

IndigoDually
04-09-2002, 10:30
I'm trying. I took some pics and I'll get them on picturetrail tonite. I am reluctantly posting them since my truck is filthy because the town is cleaning the drainage ditches on my road and the truck is covered with mud. I can't even read the lettering on the doors of my other truck from the mud splashed on it.

Craig, this weekend sounds good, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I have been busy and out late nights for the past few days and I really don't know which end is up at this point in time.

The bed stays pretty dry but there is still some water infiltration, I'm going to look more closely at the gaskets and see if I can dry the bed a little more. I drove home from about an hour away last week in a downpour with cardboard boxes in the back and they were slightly wet but not bad. I think the strap that you use to pull the cover closed is wicking water from the bolt through the cover and bringing in some water and there is seepage alone the rails. I do have a dually and the bed caps are not perfectly somooth and I think on single wheel painted on smooth stainless bed caps you would get a much better seal than I am getting. I am probably going to run a bead of silicone along the underside of the rails and hopefully that should eliminate a lot of the leakage.

I'll post later,
John

[ 04-09-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

DieselsRule
04-09-2002, 20:17
That's OK John, I can't wait to see it. I'm going to meet DMAX4ME over at the Polar Cub one night next week to check out the Line X Bed liner if your interested. I'm debating Line X or Full Metal Jacket. The only thing I've done so far is a rubber bed mat which I like even with the liner for delicate stuff like wooden furniture as well as stopping all of the sliding around of stuff. I've got to get rid of some of my cylinder index before the other half will allow me to spend on the new truck. Contact me off-line at csemanchik@rcn.com and we'll set it up.

Craig

IndigoDually
04-09-2002, 21:24
As long as it is not tuesday or wednesday night, I can make it there just get back to me the day and time.

John

IndigoDually
04-10-2002, 06:32
Pictures are finally posted. Check my Picturetrail site to see them.

John

NJDMAX
04-10-2002, 20:25
DieselsRule and Indigodually,
I was wondering if I could meet up you also? I'm looking a getting some sort of bed cover and getting a line-x liner but have not seen one in person.
Thanks, Tom

IndigoDually
04-10-2002, 20:31
I don't know, If 4 of us talk about getting together it could be construed as using the forum to aid another group or club..... just kidding. tongue.gif

NJDMAX, I'll keep you posted, if you want leave an e-mail addy and I'll let you know when we are going to try to get together.

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

NJDMAX
04-10-2002, 20:35
Indigodually, Thanks,it would just be four guys talking about our great trucks. smile.gif
TPdeitsch@aol.com

[ 04-10-2002: Message edited by: NJDMAX ]</p>

DieselsRule
04-10-2002, 21:01
Looks good John. I think your right about the seal thing. I'm going with an under the rail spray in cause you can always add the rail spray later. Can't wait to compare both liners and decide on which one to get. Was yours done by the guy up on Rt 12? Thursday's are out for me until the middle of May. Jody should be back next week.

kburati
04-11-2002, 05:31
Just installed my Peragon cover yesterday, had to read the directions multiple times before installation, good news is that there aren't that many parts. Indigodually is right, you have to get the rails level and it takes some playing around with the washers to get it right. Hopefully the panels come together evenly over time, closing it after installation at least two of the panels each time are very misaligned which could cause water buildup. I laid in the bed and had someone slowly close the cover so I could apply enough pressure from underneath on the panels while closing just to get them aligned. I figure by keeping the cover closed in alignment for a few days it should help.

Indigo, did you have any issues like this?

IndigoDually
04-11-2002, 07:52
I brought the issue of the panels not lining up to the mfg. They said to put some Armor-All or something like that to help the gaskets slip along the panels and after the cover is closed for a while they will line up better. If they don't line up just nudge them a little and they will, if you align them when you close the cover the first few times they will fall into place on their own.

I did have another thing come up today, when the cover is retracted and I have a G/N trailer hooked up, the pull strap flails around in the bed. I tied the slack to thr ramp bracket and I guess I'll just bunch up the slack in the future and put a rubberband around it.

The longer that the cover remains closed and the gaskets stay compressed, the easier the cover operates.

I don't think that removing the cover is an easy task but it can be done which is better than others that I saw that there is no choice.

John

kburati
04-11-2002, 08:27
I agree on removing the cover, one of the reasons I went with the Peragon since I will be using a slide-in camper as well. Unfortunately on our truck you have to open the cover as it goes by the wheel wells which isn't the easiest thing in the world, must have pinched my fingers five times getting it on. It's probably easier on trucks where the cover doesn't hit the well when trying to remove. I've got the panels aligned now and will keep the cover closed in that position for a few days to see if that helps, if not I'll try the Armor-All thing.

Have you figured out how to use the partial lock thing? Couldn't find it anywhere in the instructions. I assume it slides into the track like the other bolts did but it may be too late now that I've got it installed.

IndigoDually
04-11-2002, 18:06
I think that the directions and the hardware leave a lot to be desired. I would have made all of the bolts that go in the rails have square heads so that they would not spin in the tracks. I did replace the plastic capped bolts on the front with stainless pan heads.

John

KenZ
04-11-2002, 19:54
Well, I got my peragon on last week. Had to call for some help. I didn't think the directions were the best. Anyway, it looks ok and ditto on all your previous comments. Bolt heads, getting right number of washers, alignment for smooth operation and panels not matching when closed. I just pushed on them a little to get them aligned. I will have to try the amorall.

Gasket fit seems good and doesn't look like it should leak too bad. Still a little tight operating. It was warm one day and it really opened and closed nicely. I think the gaskets must have been softer.

Aligning the rails on the sides, I found it helped to sight down the length of the rail by eyesight. You could tell if you needed washers and it the rail was straight.

Heath at Peragon said someone told him there was a slight crown in the center of the long beds.

Most confusing was in brackets, they have two holes, but you only use one hole, a different hole on each side of the bed. The directions and picture didn't tell you this on the bracket closest to the tail gate.

I had plenty of washers left and one piece, that I still don't know where it goes.

As for getting the cover on over the wheels, I said forget that. I found out by accident while trying to get it on, that if you get one side ahead of the other when folded it comes off the track. So I just used this to my advantage and turned the folded cover 45 degrees and put one side in and then the other -- in front of the wheels, so I didn't have to try to unfold it at the same time I was putting it in the rails.

Sorry if it sounds confusing. If you have a cover, you probably know what I'm saying.

Overall, I guess it is a good choice for something between a soft cover and one of the heavy hard covers. The top is a little flimsy, really bounces in the wind, but certainly gives more protection than a soft tonneau cover. You couldn't put any weight on it

And the pin to lock the cover on is a pain to get to. You really need small hands or something. Just because of that, I wouldn't want to take it on or off too often.

No fault of the cover, but I don't like the fact that the rails seem somewhat exposed to damage if you haul something. I got the cover because I
am always hauling something-- hay, wood, tires whatever. I can take the cover off, but the rails stick out a ways into the bed and don't have any protection. I guess I will just have to be careful.

I also wonder how well the black finish will hold up. It was worn on the rails just from shipping. I would like to have seen a better finish. Maybe a wrinkle type finish or something. The finish reminds me of the matte black on some windshield washers and trim that wears off pretty easily.

But overall, it looks good and I have already folded it back several times to haul things. Time will tell how it hold up.

Ken

IndigoDually
04-12-2002, 06:01
The rails protruding into the bed are a characteristic of all roll-up covers. My brother's Pace Edwards has rails that are even more flimsy.
If your cover still sticks a little then you need to add a washer or 2, it seems that the rails almost need to be higher toward the inside rather than level for smooth operation.

Has anyone else tried putting one of these on a dually yet?

John

kburati
04-12-2002, 11:51
John, my truck is a big Red Chevy Dually CC 3500 4x4 Duramax. Probably the same truck as yours except red. So yes, I have installed on the Dually. I played with the washers not only for alignment but also to try and maintain the minimum distance between the Peragon cover's rails and the factory rail covers to try and minimize water and get the best seal possible.

Sorry for not posting my truck before, I could never get my signature to work on this site.

kburati
04-12-2002, 11:57
Will you look at that, no sooner did I say it and I noticed that my truck sig. is there.

GoGMC2002
05-18-2002, 05:32
I have been following your progress with the Peragon tonneau covers with an inclination to purchase. You have apparently figured out the install in spite of poor directions. Now that the covers are installed and you have been using them for a period of time, how do you feel about them? Do you like them? Any more ideas about how to prevent water from infiltrating the bed. I was thinking that a bed mat might keep luggage/boxes/groceries/etc. above a damp floor. Am I just wishing aloud? Thanks.

KenZ
05-18-2002, 06:40
GOGMC2002,

I still have pretty much the same comments. I like the convienence of being able to fold the cover back when I need to. It still doesn't align up between the panels right away when I fold it back up, but its getting better. Water seems to come in mainly at the tailgate where the fit is not tight up against the tailgate.

It still bounces in the wind quite a bit. I have passed some other trucks with tops--I couldn't tell what kind, but they were flat with no seams and looked hard, but could have been soft toneau type, and they weren't moving in the wind at all.

My personal opinion is that I like the looks of some other covers better, but the peragon type is what I needed. It doesn't look bad, but some of the hard cover tops look really nice and so do some of the roll top and soft covers that I have seen. If you need to get into the bed frequently or haul things that are taller than the bed top, I think the peragon would be a good choice.

Ken

AKDmax
05-18-2002, 12:19
GoGMC2002,
Check out the retrax cover. Nice fit and doesn't bounce in the wind. Haven't had any water problems with it yet. Check my sig to see pics.

IndigoDually
05-18-2002, 13:38
I liked the Retrax and the Pace Edwards but the fact that it is easily removed is why I have it.

Moisture problems are still not fixed but if wanted something waterproof I'd have a cap or hard cover. The issue with my use is G/N trailers and my main reason was mileage and I feel that there is a difference.

John