PDA

View Full Version : Saga of the storage box

Jomar
06-03-2002, 21:17
Found out some info that may shed some more light on the situation about the underseat storage boxes. Called the manuf. that makes the boxes and here`s the story. GMC came to this manuf. with the idea of this box. They wanted to offer it as a promotional item to companies and professional people to get them to buy GMC.One dealer told me later that it was offered free of charge to people in the professions,( Contractors, plumbers, elec., etc.) Anyway the manuf. said it was not for Chev, hence the GMC logo. He also said GMC was P--sed off that Chev.was selling these over the counter. The guy I was talking to said they were installing them in new trucks as we were talking. This is not an assembly line installation at GMC, the trucks are sent to a company for what is called a upfit. This might explain the difference in prices people were getting since there was probably no over the counter price set.GMC was going to install them as a promotional only. Then Chevy comes along and gets the parts # and start selling them over the counter. How the price was set is anybody`s guess at this time. But GMC finally put the squash on it by setting the price at $965 +or- change.That would most likely keep anyone from buying one over the counter and stop Chevy from selling them, and you would have to buy a GMC to get one , which was the intent to start with. That`s the story for now but I`m going to try to get Cabella`s interested in these. MAYBE !!!!!

TxDoc
06-03-2002, 21:31
If you are buying a GMC, then how do you get/order/request the box with a new truck order?

Thanks for the info.

Jomar
06-04-2002, 15:59
TxDoc, I didn`t ask the people that make the boxes, but they were installing them at the time.To make it more confusing a GMC dealer called me this morning and said this was coming out on the 03`s as part of a package including a bed liner and I don`t remember what else. I will check further to see what I can find out.

John G.

sk
06-05-2002, 11:10
The box that everyone is talking about comes STANDARD on the GMC Sierra Professional (which is actually currently available). If you go to http://www.gmc.com/gm***p/sierra/professional/power***p you can see pictures as well as a short movie on the storage box.

I know one thing -- say I buy a Sierra Professional and the box breaks (after the warranty expires, of course!) If I try to order a replacement one and they want to charge me $1000 for it I would be awful mad at GM!!!

Scott

ADDED IN EDIT:

Sorry - the lousy UBB Filter kicked in. Go to http://www.gmc.com then "Sierra" then click the second headline down in the lower pane then click the "See for yourself ...." link to get to the movie.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: sk ]

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: sk ]</p>

LA DMAX
06-05-2002, 18:56
Jomar, who did you talk to and what is the name of the company. When I was researching this I found that a company named Styer Mag...something were the manufactures. I emailed them but they were in Canada and never got a response. My whole reason to contact them was to see if they would be interested in making a similar box for the crew cabs. Thanks for the info.

LA DMAX

Jomar
06-05-2002, 20:58
LaDmax
The company,Magna Steyr, is located in Ft. Wayne In. Tel.# 260-749-0332. The guy I talked to was very nice but I kinda got the idea that he wasn`t supposed to be telling me all this, so if you call them, you might get the run around now. If they were to make these boxes for the cc`s, it would have to be for a company that could market them. Thats why I`ve been talking to Cabela`s about this. I haven`t got to talk to the right people at Cabela`s yet, but am still trying. Keep me posted on what you find out, and I`ll do the same to you.

John G.

sturgeon-phish
06-06-2002, 02:06
As popular as this box would be I'm sure somebody in the aftermarket is interested in making some "reasonable" money selling these. Hopefully a version for the pre-99 body style will be available also. If one shows ups I'll buy one!
Jim

LA DMAX
06-06-2002, 19:40
Jomar, will do. Thanks for the info and the number.

LA DMAX

TxDoc
06-06-2002, 21:52
Oh look:

SIERRA PROFESSIONAL PKG -inc: HD chrome grille, unique polished aluminum wheels, black wheel flares, unique wide black moldings, bedliner, custom center console, under rear seat storage compartment, 1 -- Code: PRO

invoice $2,169 msrp $2,522

Under Rear Seat Storage Compartment!

Jomar
06-07-2002, 22:34
I Heard about all the extras the Sierra Professional will have , but one dealer told me the underseat box would only be 75$. I don`t know what to beleive anymore. I did contact the New Products Div. of Cabela`s and they ask me to send them all the info I had on this box, I did and asked them to please respond, so now we`ll just have to wait and see.

John G.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-09-2002, 20:02
Jomar,

The dealer I bought my truck from had one of those on their lot when I had my oil changed early last week. I will stop by and check it out if the truck is still available.

I will be checking to see about the console. I know that I could have added the hot/cold cup holder to my truck - over counter add on.

If I can reconfigure my console and get the padded top it sure would be nice!!!!

I'll update everyone when I go by the dealer in the morning.

GMC ;)

Tim B
06-09-2002, 21:06
I saw the hot/cold cup holder in the GMC brochure so I asked my dealer what it would cost if I wanted one (I have a Chevy and my dealership has a sister-GMC dealership). If I recall, list for that gizmo was the biggest part of $300.
I didn't get one.

Tim B.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-09-2002, 21:25
Tim B,

Thanks, I'll check it out. My buddy has a body shop and can buy at 20% or 30% off GM list. I'll get the real price and update you.

I wish when GM makes these things available they wouldn't charge an arm and leg for it!!!!

We all paid enough already!!!

GMC tongue.gif

Jomar
06-09-2002, 21:36
Amen to that having paid enough already ! ! !
That price sounds about as bad as the $609 for the storage box.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-10-2002, 20:20
Well I stopped today on my way home and yes they have the truck. Sat in it.

I gave it a good look and the console has some major differences from the stocker.

1) -It has a 12V/120V thermal lunchbox that keeps stuff cold.

2) -The lunchbox takes up the whole interior of the console, and the top tray is very small.

3) -The storage is limited in the front and there is no provision for the cassette option if so equipped.

4) -NO REAR VENTS :(

5) -The heated/cooled cup holder is the Drivers one only - not both.

6) -The underseat storage box is nice, lockable but IMHO not a heck of alot will fit in it.

Any way that's my thoughts on it. I'll be staying with my stock console and my Big Aluminum toll box!!!

I am still thinking about the aftermarket cup holder/heater-cooler and the GM-Dealer installed seat heaters for my Cloth interior.

GMC :D

Jomar
06-10-2002, 21:48
GMC-2002-Dmax
Thanks for the info. I`m glad to see that they really had a pickup in mind to put that storage box in afterall. As for the rest of those THINGS, don`t sound like no biggy to me.

John G.