PDA

View Full Version : Yet another auxillary fuel tank question

SJR
03-31-2002, 10:43
I am still trying to decide on the cost/weight benefit of an extra fuel supply. Any choices other than Transfer Flow or Texas Tank or Camping World? Should I consider a 12v transfer pump with nozzel setup instead of an in line system?
Thanks,
SJR

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST. CANNOT FIND THE DELETE BOX

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: SJR ]

[ 03-31-2002: Message edited by: SJR ]</p>

sonofagun
03-31-2002, 21:21
SJR,

I don't think the weight issue is much of a concern. Makes my truck ride a little better when empty. It would be a lot cheaper to run a transfer tank system with a separate pump. It's a nuisance but a lot cheaper. Just remember to use the fuel in the big tank as quickly as possible. Don't fill the regular tank because it's easier.This is a big temptation, especially when you are in a hurry. The fuel in the spare tank can get really nasty in the heat (if it sits too long).

Good luck,
Bob

Redhawk
04-03-2002, 10:59
I have mine mounted in the bed with an auxilliary fuel pump transferring fuel into the main tank. The outlet from the bed mounted tank is connected to the overflow line which empties into the main tank. I have a switch on the dash that activate the fuel transfer. It works fine. My only problem is that the electric fuel pump I'm using doesn't have the capacity (GPM) I would like. I'm currently researching new fuel pumps.

brevam
04-03-2002, 20:10
Redhawk,
When you say "overflow line" is that the small diameter rubber hose that is attached to the fill?
I cut into mine and I could barely get a vacum tee in it. I ended up stopping beacause the diameter looked too small.
Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Appreciate the help

Bruce

Redhawk
04-04-2002, 11:34
Brevam, I didn't do the installation myself so I can't tell you which line was tapped. Maybe one of the experts on this forum can tell you which line is the overflow line. The fuel pump I used is mounted on the frame not in the bed of the truck, but still easy to service. I'll crawl under and look at it and update you.

Ok, I looked under the truck, and there are two aluminum-looking lines running inside the frame rails on the drivers side. One is the main fuel line and is much larger diameter. The other, smaller line runs to the fuel cooler and out again to the tank. That is the fuel return line. Just in front of the cooler there a brass tee fitting is inserted where the aluminum return lines screw together. The tee part of the fitting is a slip fitting where the line from the auxilliary tank slips over and is secured by a hose clamp. I used very heavy duty hose to prevent any possible chafing. I hope this helps.

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>

brevam
04-04-2002, 19:23
Redhawk,
Thanks for the reply. That cleared up my question about which line you were using. You must have to watch the fuel gage to make sure you don't overfill the onboard tank? I'm going to look into this method further. Any idea on the brand of the pump or where it was purchased?
Thanks
Bruce

Redhawk
04-06-2002, 18:30
Brevam, there is nothing different about filling either tank, just stop when it looks full. I am currently using a regular electric fuel pump that I've had lying around for ages. It works, but is a little slow. I'm currently shopping around for a higher capacity pump. Northern tool has one in their catalog that puts about 10 gal a minute, another one puts out about 5 gal min. If there is room for it and if it can stand dirt and water being thrown on it from the rear wheel, I'll probably get it. I know it will work if mounted in the bed of your truck next to the tank. hope thishelps.

GBurton
04-06-2002, 19:06
Redhawk

Where do you find room to turn that big 3500 around in Philo? Do you start your turn at one end of town and finish it at the other end? Just kidding with ya. Maybe some time I will catch you one of these day when I am in Ukiah. Do you ever get to Willits?

George

Redhawk
04-07-2002, 10:17
Hi George,

The only place I can turn around is in Boonville at the Fairgrounds. Then of course I have to back up all the way home to Philo.

I get out to Willits once in a while, but Ukiah has all those bright lights, so I get over there more often. We should compare notes and trucks some time.

Ernie