PDA

View Full Version : Installed 3M Invinca-Shield today

TimofCharlotte
03-31-2002, 20:44
I installed the Invinca-Shield today, and so far, am happy with product. Here are some impressions/tips from the installation and final opinion.
1.) It's not necessarily easy to install, but it's not impossible to get a good job. If a reasonable rate can be found locally by a pro shop, I'd have them do it, especially if they warrant the cost if they screw up.
2.) If you screw up big time, it will cost you about $100 to rectify/reorder a new shield. I left a couple very small wrinkles, but not enough that I'd pull it up. Overall, the installation came out quite well. You'd have to really look knowing where they were to see them.
3.) Follow the instructions and watch the video. They did it on a F**D on the video and made it look too easy, but the process was totally correct and appropriate. Remember, you can't use too much of the solution. It's similar to installing a window film if you've done that.
4.) The section of the Chev HD hood that makes the transition (dip) about 1/4 of way in on both sides was the most difficult. It really helps that I did this on a warm day. It would have helped if I had 'pre-stretched' the plastic a little before trying to make it conform to the transition. I ended up having to pull some up a couple times to get it right.
5.) When you pull it up, say after making a small adjustment, it can tend to stretch quite a bit, especially if you've given it a chance to seal down, i.e several minutes is all it takes once you squeegee the water out. I ended up having to trim nearly 1/4" extra from the left edge as a result of having to pull up and re-position. That section ended up looking fine once redone.
6.) After completing, I took it to a carwash, hit it with the high pressure wash, brush and rinse(thought not direct right at the edges) and it held up fine. Took home and waxed, then took the pics in my link.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone thinking about wanting protection, but not wanting a visible shield. It's a little pricey, but the overall effect is a nice clean look, and you don't have to worry about stuff getting behind a bug shield that you can't get to without removing it.
They would probably send you a sample of the product to see how it lays on the vehicles color. With the white, I have nothing but good things to say. Not sure how it would look on darker color, yet. I took advantage of their March Madness sale and bought a kit for my Boxster for 1/2 price. That will be on a fairly dark color, but I'm confident it will look good.

Hope that info helps. Good luck.
:D :D

odoh
03-31-2002, 21:24
ToC ~ I take it you're not doing the rocker panels/lower doors? It does get a lil pricey for the complete thing. I question my skill at laying it on the various compound curves. However, I find its easier to live w/my own screw up than that of others. ~ odoh

NutNbutGMC
03-31-2002, 22:16
^... I put it on mine, and it was fairly easy. Keep it wet (WOW :D ) and moving. Work the bubbles out of it, from the lip back up toward the windshield and flare the massage out toward the fenders as well. After it is installed and cured, it's a very adequate product. Virtually transparent to the casual observer. However, the template cuts could have been a little less tolerant (as in tighter). I suspect they think [+ / - 1/8"] is OK. I'd prefer 1/32", but it is still a good product.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
03-31-2002, 23:46
I've got the Invinca-shield on also and with 9,000mi on it so far, love it. It's totally transparent and I don't have a single chip yet, despite getting peppered with plenty of rocks.

Regards, Steve

TimofCharlotte
04-01-2002, 05:42
Odoh, I have it on the hood and small frontal area of quarter panels only. I may look into other specific areas (though not the complete kit) if they seem chip prone. It is a bit pricey, but like others have commented it is virtually invisible to the casual observer.

Silver Bullet
04-01-2002, 08:54
I got mine put on with not quite as much luck as TimofCharlotte. I called Invinca-Shield b/c I could not get it to stick on the curve where the center of the hood drops down to the edge. They told me to have 50/50 mixture of water and alcohol to "thin" the soapy solution. I sprayed the alcohol/water on those areas and BAM!!! It stuck like gum on the bottom of a grade school desk!

TimofCharlotte
04-01-2002, 10:40
SilverB, I wish I had realized it would be that easy with the 50-50 mixture, I was hesitant to use it after the warnings about 'for professional installers' use only. I found after trial and error that once the adjacent areas were down, you could simply stretch that area a bit and get it to lay down fairly well also. Glad to hear that the 50-50 worked so well. Maybe next time. I just wish this stuff was cheaper, you could experiement with it till it came out perfect.

smile.gif

Norm B
04-02-2002, 21:08
After the wife and I spent about 2 hours trying to put on the hood section we were about convinced you could not apply it to the Chevy hood. It would keep lifting in V-shape bubbles along the upper edge and the transition area would not lay down at all. We tried one fender piece and had the same problem along the upper edge. It was about 70-75F outside so maybe it was too cool. We finally pulled them off and stuck them back on the backing paper. I don't know if we could use it again or not. Anyway I was quite disgusted with the stuff. Maybe I will try the fender pieces in a warmer location and use the alcohol. Also go back and read the warranty to see if I am stuck with the cost.

Silver Bullet
04-02-2002, 22:44
Norm B,
Don't get discouraged...I put mine back on the paper and it had to sit for 1 1/2 weeks before it was warm enough for me to try again.

A WORD OF CAUTION IN USING THE ALCOHOL/WATER SOLUTION...BE CAREFUL BECAUSE IT WILL STICK AND NOT SLIDE AROUND LIKE IT DOES WITH THE SOAPY SOLUTION!!! I RECOMMEND USING IT ONLY IN THE SPOTS THAT WILL NOT STAY DOWN.

This means if you need to pull it up to realign you can easily stretch it out of shape in a bad way. I have the V shaped bubbles permanently...well, until I buy a new one and try again. I have noticed the reason I could not get them down even using the alcohol/water solution is I did not get the bottom corners down as low as I did the bottom center.

Let me know if this was unclear and I can take some pics for you to try to help explain my error.

NutNbutGMC
04-02-2002, 22:47
^............Norm, SIlver B is on the money. Reread his post and go for it. It's a snap, but then I have one of dem dar GMCzzz.

bearman
04-02-2002, 22:47
I put it on my rear 1/4 pannals of my dually and love it, 5000km on gravel and not a mark. My KC off road lights are another story, this is the 2nd truck they have been on and lots of stone bruses. My local acessory guy orderd me another set of lenses and is going to put 3M on them, he says the heat shoulden't bother it. Should be interesting. Will post after I run the lights for a while. By the way, they are 165 watt lights.
Cheers
Bear

TimofCharlotte
04-03-2002, 10:54
Yea, I got pretty frustrated on the dips along the hood. I had to really work it down like they show in the video, then practically hold it down. Wasn't till I got to the other side I realized it was possible to get plenty of solution in the 'pocket' formed, put your fingers down there and gently stretch it a bit to help give it a little more material to lay in the dip.
The 50-50 solution would have helped, but I didn't do it.
Also, when I had everything laying down, I went over it with a careful 'feel' and look for bubbles. I simply took a fine sewing needle and pricked at the bottom of the bubble, almost parallel with the surface of hood, and then pushed air/water out. Perfect...no...but I'll bet only I could possibly find the places where I did that, and even that is iffy. It works fine.

Have patience. I know I ended up having to relift on the passenger side nearly a foot in, and it really stretched the material, nearly 3/8". I simply cut the excess with sharp scissors at the edge of the hood, and it looks fine.

nono50
04-03-2002, 20:37
Where's the best place and price to get this invinca-shield?Thanks
Scott 02 DA,CC

Norm B
04-04-2002, 00:52
I got an email response from Invinca-Shield after I emailed them a description of my problems with the installation. They responded quickly and appologized for having not given better instructions (I did not get any instruction with my kit recommeding alcohol mixture to solve some of the V-notch bubble problems along the top edge) They are sending me a new kit along with new instructions. He said they are preparing a new video to cover more of the typical problems that have been reported and would also have their most experienced installer call me to discuss the problems I was having. I was impressed and encouraged that there are still companies that offer good customer service.

TimofCharlotte
04-04-2002, 06:07
Not sure if any of the truck shops order these, I imagine they might even get a better price. If you order from 3M direct, as I did, go to ...

http://www.invinca-shield.com

HDLD
10-15-2002, 20:27
Their online store appears to have a 20% off sale at the moment. Not sure how this compares to dealers.