PDA

View Full Version : More gages

ndamico
06-05-2002, 14:44
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop to install a couple SPA digital gages for me, near Sacramento, CA?

Thank you

MAXed Out
06-05-2002, 16:03
Ditto the request,

I'll be coming down the hill in a couple of weeks and also wanted to have some guages installed. Now, I don't know if I want them "California Customized", just a clean professional installation.

ndamico
06-06-2002, 00:41
You mean Kalifornia customized? :cool: Unpleasant as it may sounds, Nevada follows Kalifornia in suit, they're just a few years behind. Maybe we can work a deal on 2 installs if we find someone capable in the area!

Friday i get my transfer flow midship replacement tank installed at their factory in chico, ca. That's an extra 20 gallons for me! wooo hooo!! :D :D :D

odoh
06-06-2002, 17:07
Nick ~ make it three tongue.gif ~ odoh

MAXed Out
06-12-2002, 14:42
Guys,

Anyone come up with a gauge installation site? Notice my latest mod that necessitates the guages.

odoh
06-12-2002, 19:51
Strickly speaking for myself, I'm batting '0'. Dunno anyone that has hands on experience w/duramaxes as they're relatively new still. Called Jacks Unlimited as I know the owner real well and he's very good and capable. However, he is just loaded up w/work for the various summertime 4X4 activities in this area. Sees this as a winter project. Sigh, however on the upside is that I've no modifications brewing in the near term that 'require' gauges. But I'd still like to have them in place anyway. I'll continue to keep eye/ears open. ~ odoh

Kennedy
06-12-2002, 20:22
Mike Calandra at "Diesel Tune" in Downey CA would be a good recommendation. While I believe he primarily sees 6.5's, he is smart enough to know what to do for most any diesel OR knows where to find the necessary info.

Redhawk
06-12-2002, 20:56
I bought gauges awhile back, and couldn't find anyone to install them for me, so guess who finally put them in. It turned out to be a piece of cake. It wasn't on a Duramax, but the process is the same. At least you don't have to worry about the tranny temp gauge. That leaves the EGT and boost gauges and they turned out to be the easiest. I would recommend the three of you get together and do it, it's really not that hard and you will get quality workmanship, and a morning of fun. I used an "a-pillar" kit, had it color matched at a local custom paint shop. That was the biggest PITA for the whole deal. Turned out OEM, and turned a lot of heads too. Just my two cents.

AzKevin
06-12-2002, 21:25
I spent some time researching local shops and the best luck I had was word of mouth. First check with RV repair shops, they usually know someone that specializes in diesel work. You could call Banks for a local list of authorized shops.

The best price I found was $450. The highest was $750, he specialized in the Cummins and promoted Dr Performance(yikes!). He had some cheap looking plastic aircraft gauges that were way overpriced.

Most shops prefer to install the EGT post turbo. A Cummins guy suggested a pre-turbo install on one bank of a V8 wouldn't be beneficial. I just smiled and saved several hundred dollars by doing the work myself!

ndamico
06-12-2002, 23:00
JK,

Downey is down in Los Angeles, 6+ hours from me up here in Sactown. I'm actually thinking of going over to banks when i'm in LA next time unless i can find someone closer. Know anyone else?

Redhawk may have a great idea. if 3 of us put our heads and a 12 pack together we might have some fun AND do some pretty good work. I've decided against the SPA gages, since i wear polarized sunglasses during the day and might have a hard time reading them. I'm thinking about those westin's but perhaps the banks gages as well. However banks wants $537.50 installed for theirs (pillar mount, 2 gagues). kinda steep in my book. they want $325 for just the parts! but hey they say "Banks Power" on them right mackin'?? :D :D :D :D