PDA

View Full Version : SPA Guage Owners

ndamico
06-05-2002, 19:10
To those who have the digital guages: Do you find them easy to read in the daytime, in direct sunlight, etc. I have always preferred analog for guages, but i really really like the idea of 2 items on 1 guage. I'm almost sold on the SPA's but haven't seen them in real life. I'm just concerned about direct sunlight fading them out. Also what color backlight worked best for you?

thank you once again!

hoot
06-05-2002, 19:19
The only issue is if they are at or above eye level, they are hard to read. The LCD is designed to be looked at from above. If you mount it on your pillar and area tall person, you need to put an angle ring on it to angle it down some.

I have had mine for almost a year and love it. I have never had trouble reading the display. It has excellent contrast. Mine came only with green background and black display. The new ones are dual color.

Kennedy
06-05-2002, 19:31
I put mine in the OH console which while slightly above eye level, still tips downward so the view is actually kind of from the top. No regrets here. I have a pod in the '96 and I wanted something different.

mdrag
06-05-2002, 21:59
ndamico,

I gave much thought to going with the SPA digital vs analog and went with the SPA set-up - very pleased with the SPA and no regrets al all.

Kennedy,

Change of heart on the digitals?? ;)

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001647

Kennedy
06-05-2002, 22:10
mdrag,

To be honest, it was more of a single, clean installation thing for me, PLUS I already have the Isspro's in the '96 for display. I like the recall, warning lights, and alarm functions. The only concern is that I cannot top 1100

David Utz
06-06-2002, 05:29
If you like analog gages, have a look at http://www.frostalarm.com/cat/ They have some multiple reading analog gages from Westech.

Jim Dandy
06-06-2002, 08:20
I just recently installed a 211 and a 214 on the A-pillar. There is about 1/2" between the bottom pod and the top of the dash. I am 6'2" and have the seat raised all the way up. As presently configured, I can see the displayed information but the numbers are darker if I raise up so am looking down more so than from my driving position. This, of course, is in reference to the top gauge. The bottom gauge reads fine.

hoot
06-06-2002, 09:14
Jim,

I used an autometer angle ring to angle my gauge downward for a better display.

To do it though you need to use the bracket that comes with the gauge to hold it in. Normally the gauge is held in with an interferance fit. With the angle ring that's no longer possible. I modified the bracket by cutting one leg shorter to compenstae for the angle and the inside of the pillar. Works great.... look....

http://onramp.uscom.com/~hoot/cars/duramax/gmc/gauges/pillar_w_idle.jpg

Jim Dandy
06-06-2002, 11:00
Hoot,

Thanks. I have the angle rings sitting at home but hadn't figured out just what to do with them.

sooty
06-06-2002, 12:19
Hoot, Nice install on the guages. What is the red light for above the guages/ Jim

hoot
06-06-2002, 14:01
That's a switch for the fast idle.

Redhawk
06-12-2002, 21:35
I like the Westech gauges. They will make up anything you want with warning lights, colored faces, etc. Somehow the analog gauges call out to me. The lighting is either white or green, but there are other different colored lights out there that will fit. I bought my gauges directly from Westech. If you see a gauge you like but for a different function from what you need, they will make it up for you.