PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh...

Tony J.
07-26-2004, 16:51
So, here I am less than a week before my 1500 mile pull home from Montana to Arizona, and today I smell fuel when I get out of my truck. Look underneath, and sure enough, it's dripping down from the back end of the motor, slightly to the right. From underneath, I can see it's dripping down on the starter. It continued to drip after shutdown- I'm assuming until the pressure bleeds down.

I'm thinking (and my butt's constricting while I think it)- IP?

Anyone know a good mechanic in Kalispell, Montana? I was thinking of calling Gomer's in Missoula tomorrow to see if they had a referral, unless y'all think I can change it myself (if that's the problem).

Any input?
Thanks!

DickWells
07-26-2004, 17:49
Do you have the tools, time, and place to take the two 8mm bolts (15mm heads) out of the fuel filter tabs and look at the neoprene lines, in and out to the filter and bleed petcock? It would be great if your fuel was coming out that drain hole back there under the filter in the valley, and running down the bell housing. Then you could just run some new tubing and clamps and be on your way.
Just a thought.
Dick

sidedump
07-26-2004, 17:49
More than likly it's one of the fuel lines under your intake manifold traveling thru your lifter valley. I have all of mine and two other peoples. All three trucks did not have long enough loom around the hoses to protect them.

Tony J.
07-26-2004, 21:02
I'll take a look at both of those tomorrow- hopefully.

The lines through the lifter valley- is that as muc of a project as it sounds like?

Thanks guys!

JohnC
07-27-2004, 06:42
There are also 2 short rubber lines on top of the bell housing behind the fuel filter. If they are not properly secured they can rub through. PITA to replace...

More Power
07-27-2004, 07:46
In addition to the above ideas, I'd look for a leak emanating from the shut-off solenoid. These have been a known source of fuel leaks. Look where the electrical wiring comes out through the top/side of the solenoid.

MP

Jim P
07-27-2004, 17:37
Since you say it is dripping on the starter, I would check the return lines on the injectors.

If anything is leaking in the lifter valley, it should run out the hole back by the bellhousing but this is on the left side if you are sitting in the truck.

catmandoo
07-27-2004, 17:50
yeah jims right there the valley drain hose runs out the drivers side.so if anything it should run off the oil filter

DickWells
07-27-2004, 17:53
Tony J.
I was just hoping for your sake that it is one of those lines, and not a broken injecter line or something around the flange nut at the No8 injecter.
Yeah, the hoses are not a synch to replace, but they can be, on the road, by barking up your knuckle skin a little. No real need to thread them back through under the intake manifold that I can see, except for appearance sake. Just buy extra hose and route it up over the top somewhere. You can wait to make things permanent when you get home, and have more time. The hose coming up into the pump from the metal pipe to the filter is larger, and harder to get at, but you can move the filter and wire bracket around, or take the filter right out entirely to get at the connection down by the firewall. The one from the return pipe on the passengers side is 1/4 inch I think, and is no easy thing to reach the rear end of, either. But, again, it's quite doable.
I use the NAPA high grade red hose on everything that I can't reach easily. I put on ribbed plastic loom, too, to keep it from rubbing on things. I just got a look at mine last week, after 22k miles and over a year, and I could see no sign of wear anykwhere.
Good luck, and hope it's something simple.
Dick

Marty Lau
07-28-2004, 13:27
Tony, hope it's not the IP. Good luck.

rjwest
07-29-2004, 12:25
Had a problem on a trip last year ( inj pump )
Got a GOMER pump put on at " Rocky mountain diesel "
Next door to Gomer's, No problems so far after 1 year and 33K miles......

And sent bill to GM, they paid me in full.....

Tony J.
07-30-2004, 21:28
Well, truck's fixed, thank goodness. One of the lines under the intake was dried out and cracked at one end. Also had another leak on a fuel pump return line? Got an oil/filter change, and they tested all my glow plugs...

$180 later, she's good to go. I start driving south tomorrow after work.

So if you're ever broke down in Kalispell, it's Mikey's Gas and Diesel shop. $49/hr labor even. I'm happy ;)