PDA

View Full Version : Westin Bull Bar Installed

DaveRuane
04-03-2002, 12:08
Installed a Black model with optional SS skid plate on my 2500HD CrewCab. Here's my observations:

Easy install - about 45 minutes. All Westin-supplied HW fit properly, directions were good.

Quality - Packaging that the bar came in did not prevent marring of the bar in shipping. The box of HW (brackets) was loose and obviously slammed into the foam wrapped bar a few times. No dents, but some rub marks, scratching - mostly minor. Skid plate arrived a few days ahead of the bar in separate shipment. Skid plate is nice but thinner material than expected.

Looks - The black bar with SS skid plate looks better than I expected (no OEM pix available on websites). The bar doesnt obstruct the HD trademark grill bar, nor chevy logo. The license plate would normally be hidden behind the skidplate but I remounted it higher using stock bumber holes and lower license plate holes. When I add lights, the plate may get obstructed. If I get pulled over, I may mount it to the skidplate. Tow hooks are intact but somewhat obstructed. I'll yank toyotas out using the rear or at an angle on the front (heck, the bar might work for a skimpy toyota!) THE BIGGEST PROBLEM I HAVE with the bar is the ground clearance. The bar ends hang below the air dam abot 3-inches making the front end appear bottom heavy and possibly getting in the way off-road. I have upped the priority on new wheels and 285's to offset this by about 2-inches! From the side, the bar looks a little awkward - also at the bottom.

Other Notes - Bar seems very stout. Can't say that it will provide significant front end protection but it is a good place to mount lights. A note on lights - I wanted to add Hella Black Magics to the bar but they are too big to fit within the center bar area. It looks like 6" diameter, 7" height, 2-3/4" depth is as big as it will allow (any suggestions?)

Hope this info is useful! - Dave

TimofCharlotte
04-03-2002, 19:11
Dave, Good review on pros/cons of installation.
Will be interested in seeing some pics and I'm sure others would as well. Bull bars are one of the items of interest at some point on my list, depending on how they fit/look.
Can't wait to see some pics. tongue.gif

DaveRuane
04-09-2002, 10:52
Here's some pix, some with the bull bar...
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=677644&uid=434355