PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Order

William Fullington
11-13-2005, 16:14
Ive got a 1994 GMC K1500. I recently put in a FSD cooler, cold air intake, and the Max-E-Torq/Turbo master from heath diesel.

I'm looking at a new 4" exhaust, a guage pillar (EGT, Boost Psi, and Transmission Temp), and by-pass oil system (FS-2500 prefereably, cost leaning towards Amsoil) as well as other things in the long run.

Im trying to refrain from just blowing the (quick mental math) $1100 and putting them all on now. Any advice on what to do first?

dmitch
11-14-2005, 04:29
Guages are a must. You should be able to monitor EGT and boost with the chip and turbo master. Without them your asking for troble.

William Fullington
11-14-2005, 05:23
thanks, you dont have any recomendations on what brand guages do you? currently looking at ssdieselsupply and the package they offer of bullydog guages.

nvmtnlion
11-14-2005, 06:33
Gauges *FIRST* if you can. Don't change fuel or boost without doing that. If it was me, I would also do the exhaust before you install that TM and chip.

Personally, I went with ISSPRO gauges. I liked the white faced marine gauges as an offset to the black ones in the instrument cluster and the dark interior.

patrick m.
11-14-2005, 14:35
www.autometer.com (http://www.autometer.com) many to choose from

William Fullington
11-14-2005, 17:51
Thanks, currently looking at autometer Z-series. bout $290 installed on my own...add $240 for installation.

i would have done guages first, but the maxetorq was necessary after i changed to non-egr intake manifold. and i got the turbo master for free because i met a guy who works for heath. I havent done any towing so i am sure i havent done any harm.

I am new obviously, but are there threads on installation of the guages? I havent finished looking. Will i be able to do it my self with out damaging things? Drilling the exhaust manifold for the EGT and shavings getting into the block or other issues. Also not looking forward to drilling my firewal.

Clark's diesel
11-15-2005, 14:52
If you have some kind of mechanical skill, you should be fine. I just installed Autometer Sport Comp guages in a triple pillar pod on my truck. I used a mechanical trans-temp guage, so the hole I had to put in the firewall had to be big enough to get the large brass fitting through. I used a Dremel tool after I drilled a 1/4 inch hole. If you go with the mechanical trans-temp guage, I suggest ordering what Autometer calls a teperature manifold. It allows you to tap right into your transmission line before it gets to the radiator, which should yield the most accurate temp. I also suggest you use John Kennedy's location for the EGT guage, (pre-turbo). He has a picture on the tech tip section of his website. It was very simple. I think I used a 12 point 3/8 inch socket to connect to my tap. I should mention that you must have the engine running at idle when you drill and tap the exhaust manifold. Safety glasses are a must as the exhaust pressure will be forcing the metal chips and shavings into your face, (not as bad as it sounds). Good luck, hope this helps.