PDA

View Full Version : Keep the K & N ??

JeffsTowTruck
11-13-2005, 16:44
I keep hearing about how the K & N air filter lets to much "grit" or dirt through.
My truck just sits most of the time. ( 5k to 8k a year) I rarely go somewhere off road. It seems to be doing fine with the K & N replacement I put in the factory box. I'll admit I left off the top of the box. I have had it about a year now.
Should I keep it or go back to a paper one?? Don't want to do anything to cause a premature problem.

Bobbie Martin
11-14-2005, 04:10
If you have the round filter, I would keep the K&N. I've been using one for almost 100,000 miles and every oil analysis shows the K&N does an excellent job of filtering. However, if you want to read the other side, just do a search for "K&N". I would put the lid back on the filter box, it's better to have cool air than engine heated air.

DA BIG ONE
11-14-2005, 15:17
You can enhance a K&N using panty hose as pre-filter, I do.

The amount of pre-filter can be increased using tight knit hose. The sand and other elements then fall into air filter box rather than attaching to filter.

Being in the sub-tropics I can say this panty hose pre-filter does work great here, as well as in those dusty sand storms across the Arazona plains!

JoeyD
11-14-2005, 17:13
You sound like a guy who realy knows his panty hose :D

DA BIG ONE
11-14-2005, 18:52
Originally posted by Joey D:
You sound like a guy who realy knows his panty hose :D It started like this, "hey those are nice panty hose, any chance of me talking you out of em?"

All kidding aside, they work great as a pre-filter medium preventing the buildup of crud on filter element.

JeffsTowTruck
11-15-2005, 02:47
So let me get this straight, After I get the panty hose off :eek: wait, that's not right. :D
put them over the K&N.

Bobbie Martin
11-15-2005, 04:52
Stockings (unless they are fish nets) might do a good job keeping sand out of your filter, but they are also good at keeping the air out as well. I've seen flow bench test on them and there is a reason you don't see panty hose filters on F1 cars. If you feel you need more filtration than a properly oiled K&N provides, you might want to check out K&N PreCharger Filter Wraps (http://knfilters.com/wraps.htm). These are designed to provide additional filtering with minimal air flow loss. However, I might suggest doing an oil analysis with an unwrapped K&N and see if you really need additional filtering at all. One more thing, don't think if some oil on your filter is good then more will be even better. Over oiling a K&N is a great way to destroy its airflow properties.

DA BIG ONE
11-16-2005, 07:42
Originally posted by Bobbie Martin:
Stockings (unless they are fish nets) might do a good job keeping sand out of your filter, but they are also good at keeping the air out as well. I've seen flow bench test on them and there is a reason you don't see panty hose filters on F1 cars. If you feel you need more filtration than a properly oiled K&N provides, you might want to check out K&N PreCharger Filter Wraps (http://knfilters.com/wraps.htm). These are designed to provide additional filtering with minimal air flow loss. However, I might suggest doing an oil analysis with an unwrapped K&N and see if you really need additional filtering at all. One more thing, don't think if some oil on your filter is good then more will be even better. Over oiling a K&N is a great way to destroy its airflow properties. Good point, however, the filter my truck uses flows about 900 cfm when properly oiled, K&N prefilter reduces that by about 10%, then the hose may reduce flow by say 30% still way beyond what the 6.5 @ 3,000 rpm's and 20 psi can flow even at 80% VE, or am I missing something here?