PDA

View Full Version : Spacers OH them SPACERS .........

mackin
06-10-2002, 19:03
Not to sure if I like them ....... Makes it look like one of those PR Lowered, massive offset tires, stick'en out to run dogs over, , chain saw sounding, cars. That about explains it ......... Not politically correct, but neither am I..........

The install went well...... They are Alum.....Seems to be the thing with my vehicle, more alloy the better .... It's a go fast thing ......Well machined excellent quality .... Don't shy away For $ 89 bucks a side. Good deal .... The conical seat lugs is the only way to go ..... Centered right up ..... KEV, have no clue how you did it with the stock lugs outside to stop the run out . You had conical seats on the inside, right? I just think the GAP is a bit much ...... I went down the road and pointed the mirror at the wheel, and they barely flexed so empty no doubt, spacer less the will not rub ..... So for KEV, and you heavy haulers might see the need for them ..... If I can find a descent set of flaps I might keep them on ...... It's the way they mount that I've seen ,I don't like ..... I wish GM had like the flaps the Dodges have for the dually's ...... Dodge has a nice factory flap unfortunately there is a GOAT on it, so I cannot use .......

The axle seal on the left side is hemorrhaging going to have to bring it in ...... Can't wait to bring it there with 16 lug nuts with spacers on each side and get it in writing to torque each bolt to 140 FT LB ....... I'm willing to bet the wont work on it ...... I'll kick up a dust storm ......
tongue.gif

If you want, got PICS on the TRAIL ......(SPACERS) Check it out ..... You'll be able to see a contaminated brake rotor ......MIC, check it out what a friggen mess...... :mad:

MAC :D

[ 06-10-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Maverick
06-10-2002, 21:37
They do stick out pretty good don't they. My tire/wheel project should be done in a few weeks or so. It should be a sweet setup. You'll like it.
Whats up with the Jesse James Choppers box in the pic? I am gonna get one of his bikes when I make some real money.

mackin
06-11-2002, 04:23
Maverick ,

ME too.....Entry price a lot more than a D-MAX :eek: It was a "ALL I GOT WAS A T-SHIRT THING" ....... When I was out in CALIFORNIA last year ........ Nice box tho ....... :D :D

MAC smile.gif

NickLeinonen
06-11-2002, 10:40
if you are not happy with the setup, will the co. that you got them from accept a return and perhaps get some 1.5" spacers instead of the 2"?. sure, you will have to grind some off the lugs, but if you plan on keeping the rig w/spacers on it for a longer time, why now?

i need to get some 3/4" spacers for my pop's trailer. the spring eye mounting bolts are rubbing the tires when turning [tire flex due to tandom axle] because we are running 14" wheels that are 14x5.5 front wheel drive offset [off a toyota camry]

CanadaKev
06-11-2002, 13:31
Mac,
Spacers look good! You'll get used to 'em smile.gif
I really like my Cloud Rider flaps, take a look. I had J&J's on the last truck, but these are far better.

Hauled my first load yesterday with the spacers and with the juice in setting 2(60HP). GVW 25,000. Was very immpressed with the power, didn,t have to have the foot into it hardly at all and I was pullin' hills. I can hardly wait till I get my gauges. I feel naked out there pullin' hard with no data.

Think I'll have to get conicals for peace of mind. If the wheels ever moved under load I'd be up sh** creek :confused:

Sorry to see that leaking seal. Bad news :(

Your truck would look pretty sweet with 285's don't ya think?
;)

mackin
06-12-2002, 04:22
CanadaKev,

Sure a bigger tire would be nice ... In the future. Just bought those MICHELIN'S. It will be a long while for me to buy some more tires, considering I'm going to remove come late fall ...... So for now I'll leave the spacers hanging in the garage ....... The gap is way to wide for my liking ...... I'll pursue other options down the road . I'm going to look into longer rear studs. Do they exsist,something custom? I'll see. No rush ........

I will not cut the stock studs for I am going to be switching back and forth, tires with the seasons...... Do not want issues with shortened studs being long enough for stock wheels.....

Like I've said with the commercial duty MICHELIN, tire squat is minimal .... So I'll give it ago while I look for studs ... And perhaps a 3/4 spacer plate.......

MAC smile.gif

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

IndigoDually
06-12-2002, 08:25
Mac, aren't the wheels hub piloted? If so then they are centered by the shouldered area on the hub. I believe that the shoulder is not that long which is the reason that you generally don't use two aluminium wheels in the rear. If you put on a spacer with longer studs then the outside wheel will only be held on by the lugs and studs and not supported by the axle housing. I think!! Correct me if I am wrong and talking about older models since I have not yet had the pleasure of removing the rear wheels totally. I have pulled the outside one off and aired the tires when I put on the simulators.

John

CanadaKev
06-12-2002, 14:25
Indigo,
You're right, With the spacers, the outside wheel is no longer supported by the axle housing :(

mackin
06-12-2002, 15:44
John,

This is why as in my E-MAIL I, Stated conical seat nuts would be the only way to FLY ......... Stud length is an issue with dual Alum rims due to thickness, not hub support ..... In addition as I have one steel and one Alum I can contest to the fact that when mounted on hub the current "style" lug nut will not even "TOUCH" the stud ....... This is, and will be the deal no matter the wheel manufacturer you chose.......Conical conversion is a must when converting to Alloy rims .......

MAC smile.gif