PDA

View Full Version : Best camper shell/truck cap for 2500HD

bora
04-07-2002, 00:45
What is the board's opinion on what the best camper shell/truck cap for the 2500HD series trucks is?

I have seen pictures of the SnugTop and it retails for 1675 at my local dealer, I would like
to know all my options before I spend that kind of money.

Thanks

Bora

NutNbutGMC
04-07-2002, 06:01
^...Do a search on the forum. It's been covered many times. Pic of a Leer on the Chuckwagon HD, click in my sig line.

4meseb
04-10-2002, 06:08
Hi have a Leer with the Browning Package and it cost me $1,400.
You can see it in my signature at PictureTrail.
Scott

Mike Vonada
04-15-2002, 08:18
Scott,
Thanks for the pic's of your Leer top, it was just what I was looking for, I am picking one up this week.
Mike

bbugg
04-15-2002, 13:17
I've got an A.R.E. which I really like.
Check out pictures.

BB

Dawg
04-15-2002, 13:47
I have the A.R.E. 'Z' Series on mine. Did alot of research and feel it is one of the best out there. A little pricey, but I guess I should have thought about that prior to buying a $40,000 truck! ;)

dmaxstu
04-15-2002, 14:48
I got the Snugtop the salesman convinced me that it was the strongest and was able to carry an Eide boatloader attached by quick rail top carrier attachment
The sticker on the back window said it also was a GM approved shell which I suppose does'nt mean much except if you bought one from the GM dealer that is the shell you'd get. I was told it's the thickness of the fiberglass that's important when purchasing a shell. You get what you pay for more $, more fiberglass.
A friend of mine ordered a Leer he had a PSD and when it came the color was not a good match so they sent it back to be repainted and came back even worse. They then would not do anything more with it and my friend ended up going somewhere else. With my Snugtop the color was a perfect match. Stu

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: dmaxstu ]</p>

dunrdr
04-16-2002, 13:52
I love my Snugtop Xtra Vision. So does the dog : )

I'd highly recommend it.

4meseb
04-17-2002, 19:58
Hey Bora
Did you get your cap yet?
Post some pictures so we can see after install.

Scott

bora
04-17-2002, 21:07
Hi Scott

No I did not buy it yet, apparently my local dealers don't have black in stock and it takes
a few weeks to get one, I am also debating whether not to get a camper shell.

odoh
04-23-2002, 17:59
How will your over-the-top LineX mate/interface w/the shell when you do get it? ~ odoh

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: odoh ]</p>

bora
04-23-2002, 19:30
The LineX is not thick enough to interfere with the camper shell, if anything it would improve the
seal rather than hurt it.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: bora ]</p>

bora
07-01-2002, 14:42
Finally got a camper shell installed.

I went with Glasstite outfitter model with fold down
window.

Looks great.

www.glasstite.com

Bora

odoh
07-01-2002, 19:28
bora ~ could you give me a feel re cost? If you donwanna post, email me at odoh1@hotmail.com

I'm looking at Glasstite, SnugTop and am interested in CarryBoy. ~ odoh

bora
07-02-2002, 11:15
Glasstite outfitter with folding front window.

Give and take 1440+tax. You may get a better
deal up in Sacramento area.

I have to say that the fit and the way it blends with the truck is perfect. The rear door will take
getting used to since it is one piece glass with no frame, but the single button unlatching stuff is very nice.

Bora

GMFAN70
07-02-2002, 16:55
Got my Glasstite Raven (short bed) in Medford OR for $1020 plus $80 for the carpet headliner. Also wasted $50 for the sliding front window because I didn't know it was already a fold-down!

Thick fiberglass and I also use an Eide electric boat loader. Just a reinforcing plate inside at the mounting points and no problems (yet). Color (Summit White) was a good match.

I am very happy with it.

DMAX Daddy
07-02-2002, 19:02
I think Im going with this one:
http://www.fold-a-cover.com/index.html

I had a full Snug Top Tonneau before but if we were out and decided to buy something it created a big hassle. Wife hated it. Aerocover looked good too, but I havent physically seen one of those yet.

gardnerteam
07-02-2002, 20:23
Bought last fall before I went to Mexico and Guatemala. Wanted another Leer, but Leer hadn't made one for the CC yet, so I was told. Talked into a ARE. It is a piece of junk. Rear door does not fit, locks broke, leaks water and dust where the rear door should seal with the bed (it doesn't - big gap). When I got back after 3 months, ran it through car wash and it scratched badly. All in all, it is very poor quality. Bitched to my dealer - nothing happened. Bitched to ARE and after a month or so of no reply, bitched again, advising I was going to sue. Dealer answered, looked at it again, agreed door was terrible fit, agreed paint was soft, and agreed to order another. Leer still doesn't have a mold, so I went along with it. Still hasn't arrived. SNUG is a quality cap as is Leer. My ARE is the worst quality I've ever seen and until I yelled "I'll sue you Bast---s", ARE failed to respond.

FirstDiesel
07-02-2002, 20:48
Funny

I own 2 ARE caps. 1 is the Impluse line which is the cheaper unit. It's never leaked, scratched or cracked. It's on the everyday truck and I must open and close it 15 times a day and the locks and hinges are fine.

The other is a Z series on the 3500 CC, it too seems to be fine.