PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk guages... ISSPRO, SPA, VDO & etc...

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-13-2002, 18:44
I had pretty much decided that I was going to go with the SPA dual digital guages. Boost/EGT & Fuel Pressure/Volts (for the second alt)

I liked the two guages-in-one-package convienance and the high reading save, alert feature and they would look slick mounted on the overhead panel hiding the onstar unit.

Anyway that was until...

I saw the Mr. Kennedy had never seen above 1100 degrees F on his Spa EGT guage and was thinking about changing probes.

Then today, I was talking to a very well respected Diesel shop out here and they weren't fans of the SPA guages. They recommended ISSPRO or VDO.

I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way or leave a bad impression but I really don't care about the cost. I spent $40K on the truck and I don't mind spending a few hundred more to get the absolute best However, I don't like p*ssing money away.

The #1 concern is quality of guage and quality of data.

Comments on the Isspro guages?

Comments on the VDO guages?

Comments on the SPA guages?

Any others that I should look at?

Thanks in advance,

So Cal Newbie

Desert Diesel
06-13-2002, 22:04
The SPA probe works fine. My max reading has been 1381

Kennedy
06-13-2002, 22:19
My intent to swap probes is more of an experiment to see if the results differ. The SPA gauges have a very stout probe designed to be quite durable. It responds well, but I just cannot seem to find conditions that load the truck enough to heat it up so far.

Our Ambient temps are fairly cool at 70-90

SoCalDMAX
06-14-2002, 00:49
SoCalDieselNewbie,

I have 2 SPA gauges, Boost/EGT and oil temp/pressure. I love the recall, alarm, resolution and accuracy. Plus if you want to mount multiple senders, you can switch between as many readings as you like. Eventually, I'll have Boost, EGT, oil temp, oil presure, tranny temp, diff temp and fuel pressure/vacuum.

I did have a defective boost sender but it was very obviously defective and the SPA dealer immediately authorized the replacement. I'm very happy with them, and mine are the older model.

I've had VDO and Autometer in the past and felt they were very accurate. I'm sure ISSPRO is just as good. I just prefer the increased resolution of the digital gauges myself.

Regards, Steve

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-14-2002, 12:33
Desert Diesel,

You are right around the corner from my work (City of Orange by Tustin/Katella).

Are you the one that is juiced in an '02?

kennedy,

Gotcha, I misunderstood your post.

SoCalDMAX,

Thanks... that is what I liked about them too.

Call me old fashion or whatever, I just like seeing a selection of stuff and exploring my options prior to making decissions.

Believe me, for a diesel newbie like me, this website has been an valuable resource.

Thanks to all... I know that I can be a PITA. :D

SoCalDMAX
06-14-2002, 12:44
SoCalDieselNewbie,

I hear ya, different strokes... etc, makes the world go 'round. A lot of people really like analog gauges. I've heard VDO makes a gauge that looks like the factory gauges, that would also appeal to me.

Just curious why the diesel shop wasn't a fan of the SPA gauges. Was there a technical reason, don't like digital, or was it a distributor/sales concern?

Regards, Steve

Desert Diesel
06-14-2002, 16:24
SoCalDieselNewbie,

I don’t own the juice. I don’t think it's current program will like a ’02 California truck. It may end up smoking way too much.
On my truck as the ambient temp went up the smoke increased. It is now in the shop for R&D concerning the ’02 emissions.

I live off the 91 & Imperial and have a shop at Beach & Katella.
I'm currently not using my Dynomite box,If you would like to try it out just contact Kennedy.
He can give you my number and email address.

Regards,

David

NickLeinonen
06-15-2002, 06:13
i have a couple of vdo gauges on my 6.5td tahoe. my only gripe about them is that the boost gauge rattles at hot idle [675rpm]. it stops at about 1000 rpm. that can be fixed by putting a restriction in the line, but that makes the gauge slow to react, and with the whopping 12psi that my 6.5 makes peak, with a restriction there, it just gets to about 6psi. other than the rattle they are fine.. just turn the radio up to cover the rattle.. and the pointers are red colored.. if they were orange like some of the isspro gauges have, they would match factory 100%

stillracing
06-22-2002, 08:14
I would like to suggest the DIESEL-PAGE conduct a review, and test for accuracy of all popular gauges used to measure boost and temps.

Or has this already been done.

hoot
06-22-2002, 19:26
My DG-111 has been perfect. I get readings into the 1300's only on a really hard uphill full throttle. The response is instantaneous. I also love the warning lights. They catch my eye when I get up the preset. That's when I know to watch. I have mine since last August.

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-23-2002, 01:41
Stillracing,

Where abouts in the Eastern Sierras are you?

I spend alot of time in Mammoth Lakes (folks have a place there), Bridgeport & Bishop.

If you ever see a Charcoal 2002 3500 Crew Cab pulling a white/black/yellow Clackacraft drift boat... wave me down and say Hi!

deadlyman
06-23-2002, 06:25
Does anybody know who mounted there gauges in the overhead area?

INDI-GO
06-23-2002, 13:05
Well,,, here is another one of those wish list kind of questions.

Does anyone make a POD of digital gages that monitor all the things that need monitoring THAT will fit in either the empty hole where the 4wd buttons go, or the other empty hole on the right side of the radio, Or in the over head.

Preferably in the overhead with back lighting.

I find it interesting that a LS Blazer has the computer functions in that same overhead and we can't seem to get them on our trucks. Unless I have missed something somewhere. I suspect it may be due to being a Diesel.

I know the pillar mounted gages have better visability but think I would like them in one of the mentioned places better.

On Edit: If someone will help me with some web sites I will see what is out there. I seem to be having trouble digging out anything. Thanks!!

[ 06-23-2002: Message edited by: INDI-GO ]</p>

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-24-2002, 13:58
INDI-GO,

I saw the BD Power X-box (www.bd-power.com) a few days ago on their website... I am seriously tempted to mount that unit, despite being setup for a pilar mount, in the overheard consel.

If fits, depth wise, I can make a rather slick angled install for it.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

tpitt
06-24-2002, 14:57
SoCalDieselNewbie:
My thoughts exactly for the overhead console mount. In fact I have one ordered and it should be here any day. Just hope it comes before Wed. as thats when I'm leaving for Utah to go to Edge.
Don't know when I can put it in though unless I can do it over there. tpitt

Kennedy
06-24-2002, 16:39
That would be an excellent place for it up overhead.

IMHO, it reminds me of a welding helmet when mounted in a pod.

[ 06-24-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

SoCalDieselNewbie
06-24-2002, 19:34
tpitt,

I have been doing so many mods lately that I was thinking about squeezing that one in as well but I decided that Sun was the 'stop date' until I get back from Montana.

Kennedy,

I agree.

In my honest opinion, It looks really out of place on the pillar and ruins the lines.

Anyway, I have some other electronics to mount when I get back... it would probably be best to do them all at once rather than having to tear the car apart 2-3 times.

thanks again for the phone call yesterday.

CSDMAX
07-02-2002, 15:51
Many brands have been mentioned, and the types of gauges being used(eg. BOOST, EGT, etc), but what type are most people using, mechanical or electrical? Which is best to use?

tpitt
07-02-2002, 22:47
SoCalDieselNewbie:
Received the X-moniter and finally finished mounting it yesterday. I ended up using the pillar mount as after trying it there and it didn't affect my visability at all. It is a pretty slick unit. I really didn't have a lot of time to try to mount it in the overhead console. This is something I could do at a later time, but think I will like it better on the pillar. Terry

P.S. When I was up at BD in April I talked to them about making a stand alone unit which would be easier to mount in the console. Maybe at a later time they will.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: tpitt ]</p>

CSDMAX
07-05-2002, 20:32
SoCalDieselNewbie,

Hey before you plunk down $$$ for the x-monitor, or any other gauges, check out Tinbender's post regarding the "Overhead Console Gauges Installed" These look factory installed and he's got pics to show. Nice job!..Tinman ;)

X-Monitor is nice but....like JK said, "it reminds me of a welding helmet." If you modify it for the overhead console it will still look like a helmet and besides, my local retailer wants $479.00 for it. Nope not going there for gauges, but I will cough...up for some OJ from one of our local DP sponsors.

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 16:05
Well, I put in the thin wire probe (approx 1/8" diameter) in and now if I jump on it, it can be at 500

CSDMAX
07-09-2002, 16:40
JK,

Skeeters and drive-in movies???? What's that? :D
No skeeters here in Colorado, but a classic drive-in would be nice. I thought they turned those things into junkyards or a historical museum of sorts? ;)

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 18:15
A couple-few years back they built a new twin screen about an hour away. With the advent of low power FM radio transmitters, the cost of building/maintaning would definitely be lower.

I try to make it a habit of taking the kid each summer so she can see what it is all about...

SoCalDMAX
07-09-2002, 18:55
"I try to make it a habit of taking the kid each summer so she can see what it is all about... "

*Ahem* John, back in my day, it wasn't about watching the movie...

Let one of the local boys take her to the movie. One who drives a diesel, understands you perfectly, and says "yes, sir!" ;)

Good luck finding him!

Regards, Steve

hoot
07-09-2002, 20:15
JK,

My "thin" probe is just about a year old and it has hit 1300 many times. Still going strong.

Kennedy
07-09-2002, 20:34
"*Ahem* John, back in my day, it wasn't about watching the movie..."

THAT is for nights when the kid is back home in MI. :D : At 15, it makes me cringe to think about it. Catholic school even! :eek: I was going to pick her up after school last spring on the Harley (make an impression) but it rained. :(

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-09-2002, 20:55
I read the posts and I know DmaxDiva is running Isspro gauges. I am looking at the juice or a BD-EZ Amp. JK recommended an Amsoil Dual Stage filter and exhaust to help it breathe better, and I think the gauges are a wise investment as well. Problem is I am clueless as to what I need and what the differences are.

Anyone wanna educate me as to what I should be looking for and which ones besides Boost and EGT I need.

Thanks in advance to all

GMC

SoCalDMAX
07-10-2002, 11:19
GMC-2002-Dmax,

This is all JMHO, so I'm only recommending. As for Juice/EZ Amp, I hear they are identical, so just look for the best price/service as you desire.

A 4" exhaust will help the engine breathe and keep EGTs under control and they sound great, not loud at all.

I think EGT/boost gauges are a must for any diesel engine, even stock, you can monitor trends and immediately spot something fishy before it costs you more to fix.

Other gauges - I think oil pressure/temp tells a lot about how the engine is doing and bears watching. I'm using SPA gauges, so 2 gauges gives 4 digital readouts. With switches, I can monitor boost/EGT, oil press/oil temp/tranny temp/diff temp and fuel press/vacuum. Not all of these are critical, so I'd monitor Boost/EGT and engine oil 95% of the time, occasionally switching to the diff or tranny under severe load just to check it out.

This is much more than most people monitor. I like the digital gauges for their accuracy and resolution (10x higher on EGTs), but this is a personal choice, lots of people like analog gauges. Check if ISSPRO has their amplifier problem sorted out before buying that line, it has a high pitched hum that is very annoying and they're working on a fix, don't know if it's done.

Some like VDO, Autometer, Dakota Digital and lots of others. They are all very good quality and some look like the factory gauges. Tinbender did dual Dakota Digital guages in the overhead console that looks really great! Do some searches and look at members pics, lots to choose from!

Regards, Steve

DMAXDiva
07-10-2002, 21:20
Hey SoCalSteve:

I keep reading about noise problems with Isspro gauges...which model is involved? I've not had any problems whatsoever with mine (maybe the culprit's an earlier incarnation, or maybe the planets just aligned perfectly during production... :rolleyes: )

SoCalDMAX
07-11-2002, 10:42
DmaxDiva,

I've read several posts about it, IIRC it was the EV series, which are fairly new. The posters were not happy with the fact that the product even shipped with the noise to begin with, and the problem is compounded with Isspro's slow response to fixing the problem.

I have nothing against the product, merely passing on what I've read in other posts on this forum.

Here's one thread:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002828&p=

Regards, Steve