PDA

View Full Version : Running Boards

denverdale
06-14-2002, 19:48
First question to the board participants. Since I am vertically challanged, I definitely need running boards/step tubes to get in and out of the new truck with out jumping. I think I prefer the stainless steel tubes to the fiberglass or aluminum boards. What do you guys have? How about ease of installation and cost? What brand is best? (Is that just one question?)
Thanks
Denver Dale

mdrag
06-14-2002, 20:40
denverdale,

I have the DTA running boards and like them - but I read in another thread that DTA went out of business. I have not personally confirmed that.

Try a search of the 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain Forum or Accesory Forum, where I'm sure you'll find plenty of opinions.

Topic moved to 2500HD/3500 Accessories Forum.

Tinbender
06-14-2002, 21:55
denverdale
Welcome to the forum !

I installed Stull SS Tube/boards on my Ext Cab. They are solid,good looking (IMHO) and relitively easy to install. They are not an erector set, but matched to the vehicle. I highly recomend. See the pics on my sig.

Bob

AKDmax
06-15-2002, 00:28
denverdale,
Tons of good info on this site. check out the J&J stainless millenium boards. Very sturdy, fairly simple to install. The large tube fits the truck well. See my pics for installed boards.

Timberline
06-15-2002, 06:17
I have DTA running boards with tappered ends and they are black to match my truck. I really like the looks of them and they are strong. The one thing that I did not like about them was the duallie running board brackets that they sent me were to short and didn't line up according to thier plans but I got around all of that.

SDWA
06-15-2002, 07:31
I have Stull's on my crew cab, they look good once they're installed but be warned:

Don't follow the directions exactly, the boards will take forever to get on and all the pieces won't fit correctly if you do.

Don't use the included 1" stainless steel carriage bolts for the pinch weld brackets, use some grade 8's with an actual head you can hold with a wrench - the carriage bolts strip out the "squareness" and start turning after minimal tightening... then it's hell to get them off.

Don't expect the second bracket back from the front to line up with the factory running board mounting hole - that particular hole is 1" higher than all the others. When I called Stull (talked to Sam if they're listening...) they said they hadn't heard of that problem, maybe a change for 2002; "Use a self-tapping bolt" they said. I checked a 2000 and 2001 C/C that had Stulls they had the same problem, but the installer used a self-tapping bolt instead of the factory hole :( Those self-tappers suck.

If you choose the Stulls, I'll send you pictures of my install and how I got around the problems (of course, unless Stull got their act together and includes longer brackets now) and the other hardware "changes" I found necessary.

IMHO: Crappy instructions (one side of a 8x11 paper, with the words "Reverse for Passenger side") and poor hardware selection, but it's an excellent product that can be improved on with a little self-ingenuity.

Scott

CanadaKev
06-16-2002, 12:22
denverdale,
I agree with AKDmax, Go with the J&J Stainless Steel Millenium Boards. 3" Tubes, are strong and look awsome. You can check out my pics too if you want.
Kev

Their site is www.j-jent.com

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: CanadaKev ]</p>

Redhawk
06-16-2002, 14:50
J & J stainless millenium baords, 3" diameter look best. On a Dually they taper in front and flare at the rear fenders.

zrone
06-16-2002, 17:29
I too have the J&J boards and they are a good strong product. My boards are the square tube type and the small box boards holds my 230lbs with no problem

FirstDiesel
06-16-2002, 18:18
I have Westin Chrome tubes. Love the look, the finish is great. I had them installed because the guy almost did it for free. I watched him do it. From start to finish it took him less than 30 minutes. He did have the truck on a lift but it wouldn't take much longer without it. Everything fit perfectly the first time. This is a local camper shell etc. parts guy and he says the ONLY thing he will sell is Westin. Says they fit the best, almost never had a warranty issue with them but they always make good right away.

Sold me!

cmadmaxman
06-16-2002, 21:45
I had Westen chrome tubes on my last 2 2500 extended cabs. With the deeper frame on the 2500 HD I wanted to hide this with full boards. I saw and liked the luverne ss step boards. Here is a link to their web site. Hope it goes in if not it is luvernetruck.com. The small boards that go on the bed use a tube framework that makes them very strong. This helps with washing the back window and getting in the back of the truck from the side. You can not do that with the tubes. They don't go back past the cab. Good luck!
www.luvernetruck.com/Product_Line/Side_Entry_Steps/side_entry_steps.html

02DMAX
06-16-2002, 22:18
Like the looks of the J & J millenium but unable to find them on the web. Can anyone steer me to a sight that has them. Would like to now about the cost. Wife and child both verticaly challenged and don't much like wife pulling on steering wheel to get in cab.
02 extended cab long bed

CanadaKev
06-16-2002, 22:40
02DMAX,

www.j-jent.com

Grab handles also help for climbing in the truck.
Kev

AKDmax
06-16-2002, 23:17
They're difinitely not cheap (about $700), but you get what you pay for. Some have had luck buying direct, others were not able because there was a local dealer. The crew cab single wheel boards are also tapered at the front.

TimT
06-17-2002, 00:59
I had StarBoards installed on my CC DRW.. Pics at the link..

02DMAX
06-17-2002, 22:33
Canadakev thanks for the link.
Seems there is a store close by so I will have to go look at them. ;)

socaltoolguy
08-18-2002, 00:13
Hey TimT, were you by any chance in Chula Vista RV and Marina resort in California in the summer of 2001? I was there and saw a truck just like yours and it had Star Boards on it and it had Missouri plates on it. I was looking for boards for my duallie at the time and I saw yours if it was yours but I could never find anybody at the trailer when I was there. I finally found the boards on the web and bought a set. Love them. If it wasn't you just blow this off. Ray.

Heartbeat Hauler
08-20-2002, 15:24
I have the Owens FiberGlass boards. I got the cab & box boards for my 01 3500 Dually. They look really good, but I have had to fix a problem with the box board bolt pulling through the fiberglass. If I had it to do over I would go with a heavy diamond plate or Stainless steel type board. Make sure what ever board you get you test fit it to make sure there is adequate stepping room...tubes should be no problem.
JP

Dave_WB3FYV
08-22-2002, 15:44
I took a chance and got the Dee-Zee black aluminum boards, mostly to get the integrated front mud flap and black to match the truck. They look a lot lke the OEM boards.
Just put them on last night and I think they look ok so far. They hold my 260lbs well enough and went on fairly easily, but I tossed half the brackets and drilled the frame for the inner attachment point, seems much more solid. However, the rear is too far from the frame and I will have to use their bracket - or get a longer piece of angle iron. Installation requires drilliing into the lower lip of the body and if you use their brackets - will have to remove the body mount bolts. I can stand on them without the rear bracket and nothing moves.

Some assembly required! :D