PDA

View Full Version : EGR hood bug deflector and roof problem

reelbob6.6
06-19-2002, 20:25
I bought an "Egr" hood bug deflector a couple of weeks ago and it looks good but my 2001 2500 HD ext. cab has developed a disturbing ticking noise like the flimsy roof is separating from the interior foam or worse??? I removed the deflector and the noise is not there. what gives??? What should I do??

Thanks Bob

GrayMax
06-19-2002, 22:13
The ticking sound you hear is generated by the rubber hood hinge covers. Evidently at times, the bug shield will create a wind swirl across the hood that adversely affects the rubber covers. I have actually had my right hinge cover go vertical on me and flap in the breeze. They are by far, the worst piece of engineering design I have ever seen. Just imagine for a moment the person who designed them, and take it a step forward and imagine the person who actually approved of the design. MORONS!

motovet
06-19-2002, 23:55
I have the EGR on mine and the noise at least for me is not from the hinge flaps. I had the side moldings on the windshield glued and that took care of it. The same moldings made noise on our 00' after a bug guard was installed.

Road Kill
06-21-2002, 12:53
I also have the EGR bug shield and I had the noise. The fix was to roll back the rubber edging along both sides of my windshield and run a very small bead of silicone, RTV, caulk down both sides under rubber edging. Noise is history. Took about 15 min. My caulk was DAP which is a Dow Corning product. Good stuff. Hope this helps. :D

JF
06-21-2002, 17:08
I have experienced same problem when travelling on highway with snow plow on truck. I believe it is from windshield moldings. Not much snow this past winter, but if problem exists next winter, will probably glue down molding strips