PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Cassette with CB question

TxDoc
09-07-2002, 19:31
I think my '03 is coming with a cassette, was supposed to have only a CD, am/fm, XM Radio. I was planning on putting a CB in the space where the cassette would have been,

What I am wondering is:
1-is the cassette in the center console with a truck that has bucket seats?
2-is it usually this DIN size of 2x7?
3-Should it cause any problem to unplug the cassette and place the CB in its place?

thanks

NutNbutGMC
09-07-2002, 22:04
^... Doc, What did the XM option cost ya'? Just curious as I installed an aftermarket head. Either way, XM (service) is a fine option.

TxDoc
09-07-2002, 22:57
Invoice $283 MSRP $325

David Utz
09-08-2002, 19:46
TxDoc,
If it is still the same as the "01", then yes, it goes in the upper bay of the center console just below the lighter plugs. Pull the dash trim, remove a few screws and the console cover comes off. The cassette player just snaps out when you depress the latches on both sides. Also remove the cable that connects it to the radio. The bay is something like 2" x 6" but the opening is only 1.5" x 6". The bay drops about 0.5" after the faceplate. The storage box, which replaces the cassette player, is only 5" deep and I don't remember how much clearance there was behind the box. It would have to be a small CB to fit. The radio should be just fine with the connecting cable removed. I don't have a cassette player but wanted to put one in. The dealer wants something like $282 for the player and another $63 for the harness. Gm parts direct would have cut that down to about $180 but every dealer I called gave me a different part number for the harness. I could never nail down which one was correct. If you go ahead with this project, keep me in mind and I will take the player and harness off your hands. Till then I'm waiting for the parts to start showing up in the salvage yards.

TxDoc
09-08-2002, 21:14
I will keep you in mind. Send me your email, mine is txdoc2@removeme@aol.com (with a certain few letters removed). My TPW is 9-16. I got an "accepted by production control" of 9-4.

I have a small Uniden HxWxD of 1.5"x 4.5"x6.5" and a Radio Shack scanner 2"x6 7/8"x 6 7/8". I think that depth measurement includes the knobs, so I can make one fit in the console.

I thought I could put both in the console, but maybe the XM radio will take up another space.

Thanks for the reply.

TxDoc
10-19-2002, 23:51
David Utz-- The cassette is integrated into the CD/AM/FM unit. I thought it would be down on the console. But, it isn't. It is not a separate unit. If it was, I would be glad to send it to you. Sorry.