PDA

View Full Version : Downpipe connection to turbo

Jeff Hansen
07-26-2004, 20:59
I just received an ehuast kit and wanted to confirm the downpitpe connection to the turbo. Would someone explain the fitting on my 95 crew cab 6.5. It appears to have a t-bolt or hose clamp arrangement and I assume a sleeve of sometype. Appreciate your response

Thanks

DennisG01
07-27-2004, 05:13
I assume it's probably the same as on my '98. There is a "V" clamp that holds the flange of the downpipe to the flange of the turbo. Loosen up the clamp enough to "unhook" the bolt and the clamp will come off. It may need a little persuading if it's been on there a while. You can make the job easier by removing the aluminum shield around the turbo. I was able to put the new downpipe on by myself - from under the truck I got it in the right position and used blocks of wood between it and the frame to hold it in place while I went back up to the top and put the clamp around it loosely to hold it in place. Hope this helps!

Spindrift
07-27-2004, 05:59
There isn't much clearance for the downpipe, especially near the fender well. When you re-tighten the clamp, there may be a tendency for the downpipe to shift and make contact with the fender well so be careful when you're lining it back up to the turbo inlet. Otherwise, you might end up with some bad vibes. It surely helps to have a second pair of hands.

99gmccrew
07-28-2004, 20:47
When I did my exhaust I took the air filter box out and that really made it easy to remove the clamp and install the new downpipe. My wife held the pipe in place while I tightened the clamp on the turbo. Hope you like your new sound and performance. I'm assuming you got the 4" model.