PDA

View Full Version : Lucerix Vibration?

JLee
09-11-2002, 15:32
I installed my Lucerix mirrors this week. The passenger side mirror was completely loose in the box, so I called Lucerix and they told me how to re-attach it. Hopefully I got it right. I seem to get a little vibration in both mirrors when retracted and essentially can see every little bump when extended - especially the passenger side. Really notice it on a concrete road with compression joints. Also I notice that I can easily move the mirrors back and forth at least a quarter of an inch when they're in the normal position. Is that what other Lucerix owners are seeing?? Seems like there's a lot of slop in the detent? Thought I'd check to see if that's what other people are seeing before I bother John about it.

The instructions didn't have any torque info, but the guy at Lucerix suggested about 45 foot lbs? I only have an el cheapo torque wrench, so I just tightened the nuts down with a 3/8's ratchet.

Thanks

Jim

Joe Pool
09-11-2002, 17:26
Jim,

I wouldn't put 45ft-lbs to those little bolts, you will twist them right off, maybe 45inch-lbs.

Joe

johns
09-11-2002, 18:21
Mine vibrate too. Passenger side is worse than the driver side. I got my eyes open for something like them but from a different manufacturer.

Steve Cornell
09-11-2002, 19:16
Just curious if you guys that are having vibration problems with the Lucerix mirrors are running bug shields? and if so what kind.
I've have the Lucerix mirrors on my truck since I got it and I have no vibrations at all, retracted or extended, at any speed, towing or not.

I have a Weather Tech bug shield for what it's worth

TxDoc
09-11-2002, 19:38
Motovet replied:

"Blunote, Problem solved today. I got to thinking about the vibration I have with the mirrors and was wondering why they seem fairly solid when driving slow on bumpy roads but vibrate when I cruise on smooth roads. Decided to take the EGR deflector off and give it a try. Well.... that deflector looked damn good up there but without it the mirrors are as solid as I suppose they where designed to be. There is some movement at speeds over 65mph, but nothing like before. Now the question is what deflector is available that dosen't cause so much tubulance and is it available in carbon fiber?"

JLee
09-11-2002, 20:48
Inch pounds - what do I have to get to measure that?

I don't have a bug shield - have a clear bra. Still get some vibration on my GMC. Maybe I'll just try tightening them a bit more, but I can't imagine that helping much.

Jim

Jelisfc
09-11-2002, 21:47
in lbs divided by 12 equals foot pounds. So 45 in lbs is just short of 4 ft lbs. Not much. I'm a ggod one for over torqueing so I use a 1/4" drive set on anything up to a 5/16 - 6mm bolt.

Kennedy
09-11-2002, 21:52
Ther's a lotta glass on those things, and a little wiggle = lotta movement. I'm running mine lop-sided as I cannot keep them in stock, and only had 2 RH mirrors due to to a packaging error. The passengers mirror did vibrate some, but for all intents and purposes worked fine.

Jim, the glass carriage should have kinda "snapped" into place when re-seating.

Lucerix has sent me a tool (simple plastic wedge) and some replacement glass if you happen to need some. I'm going to investigate stiffening the carriage to head joint a bit and see what I can come up with.

FWIW, the stock glass seems to rock/rotate just as much as the Lucerix, only since it is smaller and closer to the vehicle it wiggles less in use.

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

motovet
09-11-2002, 23:51
Taking the deflector off made a big difference for me. I still get a little movement at speed but I can now see what kind of car is behind me, not just the color. I too have a little slop in the detent but get no movement front to back while driving. I get slightly more vibration on the passenger side which may be partly due to the added weight of the convex mirror? The Gm tow mirrors moved too but as John said you will notice it more with over twice the veiwing area. I am now happy with the mirrors but would still like to find a GOOD looking turbulance free deflector.

JLee
09-12-2002, 09:52
Thanks for the info John. I put fender washers under each nut thinking that might distribute the weight a little? Sounds like I better be careful tightening them anymore for fear of twisting off a stud.

I didn't seem to really get a "snap" when the mirror went back in, but it hasn't come out yet. I used a piece of quarter inch wood and gently pried down on the mirror after seating the bottim clips. Per instructions from Lucerix. Then I gently pried up at the bottom and the mirror didn't pop out. So... I think I've got it back in OK. I suppose it would be a good idea to have one of the tools in case it comes loose again.

It really bothers me that the mirror rocks back and forth in the detent. I can't see how that would NOT cause some movement when driving.

Thanks

Jim

Colorado Kid
09-12-2002, 14:08
Jim,
Mine behave more or less as you describe...especially if I'm looking in the mirror as I cross a pavement joint. I wouldn't say that they are rock steady, but that they are as good as or better than every mirror of similar size I've ever seen, and I've seen quite a few since I used to drive school busses (A.K.A. rolling mirror showrooms). The fact that the glass is perfectly flat increases the perception of vibration. The thing is, they may shake a little, but it isn't a continuous blur, just some jumpiness of the reflected image. When I need to look in them, I can see what I am trying to see. The aerodynamic shaking is more noticiable at high speeds with the mirrors retracted, while the bump shakes are worse with them extended.

I haven't noticed the detents feeling sloppy, but then again I haven't gone looking for that. I'll try to remember to check that tonight and I'll let you know if mine are sloppy too.

[ 09-12-2002: Message edited by: Colorado Kid ]</p>