PDA

View Full Version : Fifthwheel or Gooseneck

Maxter
06-26-2002, 22:53
I'm having a custom trailer made for me to haul wood logs. It has an articulated hydraulic loader on it as well. The GVW of the unit will be in the 14,000-16,000 pound range.

The trailer manufacturer will provide a vertical piece for a Fifthwheel and another one for a gooseneck.

The trailer will look something like this:

http://www.jflaplante.com/duramax/photos/woodtrailerexample01.jpg

http://www.jflaplante.com/duramax/photos/woodtrailerexample02.jpg

http://www.jflaplante.com/duramax/photos/woodtrailerexample03.jpg

Beside the usual tag-along trailers I've never towed anything that big and I'm a little ignorant on chosing an hitch type.

Obviously the gooseneck seem to be harder to pin and the fifthwheel takes more space in the bed but are there other important points like maneuvrability?

Thanks in advance.

[ 06-26-2002: Message edited by: Maxter ]</p>

Maverick
06-26-2002, 23:20
I would go with the 2 5/16 ball gooseneck hitch. Just personal pref. I guess. They seem to articulate better in the rough stuff.

Got a number for this company? I would like to talk to them about maybe making a 32ft flatbed with a boom on it.

You can email me direct. I would appreciate it.

Maxter
06-26-2002, 23:30
Thanks and your info is on its way.

David Utz
06-27-2002, 06:13
I would go with the goose neck. The pivot point is lower and closer to the axle. The taller 5th wheel will have a larger moment arm and pull up on the nose more when accelorating. It's a minor differance but, all things being the same, it will give you smoother starts and stops. On the down side, the 5th wheel is usually easier to hook-up.

Jim Dandy
06-27-2002, 11:00
I went with the goose neck and am happy with it. I like having a clean bed simply by turning over the ball as opposed to removing the heavy and cumbersome 5th unit. I have no bed toolbox and can turn around and see my ball when backing under the trailer so hookup is fairly simple. The downside is crawling into the bed to put in the lock pin. Either way you go make sure you have plenty of clearance between the trailer and the bed rails. I have about 8.5" and have been within an inch of hitting.

CanadaKev
06-28-2002, 22:31
Maxter,
Definately gooseneck. It's a stronger, heavier hitch and is just as easy to hook up.
Kev

TimT
07-10-2002, 22:55
I have my 36' fifth wheel set up on a gooseneck- IMHO, it's a LOT more difficult to miss being properly hooked up. No worries about the pin not being latched correctly. Drop the ol' goose down on the ball and I'm done. No crawling around double checking the latch. Plus the 30K rating on the B&W hitch. If that trailer jumps up 4" and gets off the ball I hope I'm in the next county. ;)

CanadaKev
07-10-2002, 23:30
TimT,
Can you get us some pics of the front of your trailer, unhooked. I would really like to see some close-ups of your 5th/goose conversion. My father-in-law wants to do the same to his 35 footer.
Kev

Maxter
07-20-2002, 18:35
Canada Kev:

Sorry for the very long delay in replying. I didn't see your post when you posted it.

It's not realy going to be a conversion, the trailer maker will provide the entire "hand" for one or the other. At least that the way I understood it.

As soon as I get the trailer in the begining of August, I will get you some pictures. You can send me your email info at jeff@jflaplante.com

By the way, is it possible to purchase an RV with a goosenech attachement instead of a fifthwheel?

Big O
07-23-2002, 01:37
Maxter
If you go with the gooseneck, get the UNA-GOOSE HITCH. It is the VERY STRONGEST--40,000# and leaves the bed flat, with no linkages to rust or break.

Maxter
07-23-2002, 08:27
I had problems getting the una-goose in Canada, no dealer knew about it or was willing to search for it.

I ordered a Husky removable ball gooseneck hitch with a handle to lock/unlock the ball. It's ratted at 25k wich is more than enough for my 18k-20k setup wich is under construction.

That's why I was looking for their website to print a spec sheet and company information. The box itself contained only the hitch itself and anonymous instructions with no company information. Hurray for taiwan subs...

It leaves the bed flat aside from a small rubber plug. It was not my first choice but it was an acceptable compromise. It was 340 US$, about the same as the una-goose...

Ranger354
07-23-2002, 17:59
Plan on installing a GN ball hitch in the bed of my new truck. It will be a self manufactured hitch and if it pulls out I will have torn up more then just the hitch. I plan on using a threaded 20,000# ball. A buddy put in one of those pin type in his ld truck and it is there to stay. We tried removing it the other day so he could sell his truck. A 36" pipe wrench with an 8'cheater bar wouldn't budge it. Since then he has installed a threaded ball in his new truck.

As for the 5th wheel to GN conversion on an RV. Just purchase the GN hitch of your choice. Weld a piece of 1/2" plate to it (the plate needs to be 1/2" wide then the flat plat on your trailer.) Remove the 5th wheel hitch from your trailer. Then weld or bold(if possible) (I prefer to weld) the two plates together.

Make sure of all your heights and clearances before cutting or welding anything.

Hope this isn't too confusing.