PDA

View Full Version : How much dark smoke is normal under heavy load?

John Meerts
07-27-2004, 11:44
I was hauling my 8000# trailer in 90 degree weather up a long (6 mile) relatively steep slope (I90 in westerm Mass) and my son driving behind me commented on the amount of black smoke I was generating. Coolant temp was about 235 (which it rarely ever reaches) and I had the pedal to the metal going about 55MPH 3rd gear ~ 2500RMP.

I could see some exhaust smoke in my rear view mirror and considered it normal but now I am wondering. Should there be any smoke? Barely noticable? Quite noticable? Realively heavy as long as under light conditions there is not any?
Moreover, should I complain to the dealer as the truck (stock 2000 6.5 cre cab dually) is still under extended warranty?

Thanks for the input.

John

Keith Richards
07-27-2004, 17:37
I dont know if the 6.5 can handle towing an 8000 lb. trailer up a hill with the pedal to the medal for 6 miles.From what I've gathered from this site high temps are extremely dangerous for this motor.I try to go a little easy when I'm towing heavy loads,and Ive never seen the temps go over 210.The heavy smoke is probably because you were giving the engine more fuel than it could consume.This engine can pull ,but to get the most out of it you have to somewhat baby it,In my opinion. good luck!

charliepeterson
07-27-2004, 18:53
Anything more than a grey haze is really not ideal.

It could be as simple as a bad air filter or a failing waste gate solenoid.

If it pulled WOT for six miles it sounds like it's running pretty good.

Barry Nave
07-28-2004, 02:20
My truck is a black smoker,With the Mods. Im pushing fuel and boost under heavy loads/towing.
Being able to watch the EGT is how I push to a safe limt.
normal you'll see little smoke,just under power and take off's.
I know I have the power while passing other diesel's :D