PDA

View Full Version : Just Added...Pro Comp Pre-runner and "Rolling Daylight"

Silver Bullet
06-29-2002, 15:04
I just added a Pro Comp Pre-runner and "Rolling Daylight" this week. I wired the lights using a Pro Comp wiring kit and an OEM Aux Lamp switch. Thanks to Pendlum and Mdrag for their input and advice. :D

main page: http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/
lights and bar: http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/truck_mods9.htm

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
06-29-2002, 16:02
^......What is the legality of using these things after dark? Just curious. Or even in the daytime for that matter??

Nice looking machine for a Chebby.

==&gt; NutNbutGMC &lt;==

mdrag
06-29-2002, 19:16
Silver Bullet,

Nice looking set-up!! Try running them during the day - I'd bet that a LEO will not get a laser reading off your truck with those suckers on!!

JEBar
06-30-2002, 06:27
Silver Bullet...looks good...question: would be interested in hearing if you experience any increase in transmission temperatures as the result of the installation....mine already runs on the top end of what is expected and I have been hesitating to install anything which would block air flow through the grill :cool:

Silver Bullet
06-30-2002, 19:45
NutNbutGMC - Thanks! I don't think they are legal for on-road use...but I like as much light as possible for driving in deer country on the back roads at night...the late night arrivals at the deer lease.

mdrag - Thanks! LEO would not even see me coming...blinded by the light!!! :D Just in case the lights fail, my Valentine-1 should arrive on Monday or Tuesday for assisting in my protection from 5-0!!!

JEBar - Thanks! I have 4 day Texas tour 4th-o-July weekend...Dallas to San Antonio to Houston to the deer lease (SW of Abilene) and back to Dallas. I don't think the lights will block enough air to cause a problem, but I'll keep an eye on it just to be safe.

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

Alli-max
07-07-2002, 12:04
to answer your airflow question...

Nope, wont increase the temps. I have the replacement AND Hellas lights there, and it is fine.

Silver Bullet
07-07-2002, 19:27
I got back yesterday from my mini-Texas tour...Dallas to San Antonio to Houston and back to Dallas. The tranny temp never got over 190...I was running 70-85 mph and the outside temp was btwn 85 and 95 most of the time. I agree with Alli-max...no problem with air flow.

Firemax
07-07-2002, 20:25
Silver Bullet, is there a chance of posting a side shot picture? just wondering how far the bar protrudes out. I have a set of Hella 4000's from my old truck and I'm looking at different ways of mounting them besides using a brush guard. I would like to use either the Pro Comp or I believe Warn makes a light bar.

Thanks Firemax
2002 2500HD CC Duramax/Ali 4x4 SB

Silver Bullet
07-08-2002, 15:53
Firemax,
The bar sticks out 6-8 inches beyond the front bumper. I have this pic available now. It was taken after the bar install and before the lights made it on...http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/light_bar.jpg

The ProComp 130 lights are 8" lights and I think your Rallye 4000's are 10" or 12". I had Rallye 3000's (10") on my old Z-71 (http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/99_z-71.htm). It will be a real tight fit to get 10" or better lights mounted using the existing holes. It would not take much to build a custom light bracket for this bar.

If you would like a true side shot, let me know and I will get one posted for you when I get home.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

DaveRuane
07-09-2002, 15:55
Looks great! I'd like to replace my Westin Bull Bar with one of these. Did the bar require drilling? Are there drilling templates? Did you have to remove the bumper? Tell us how that thing installs!

Silver Bullet
07-09-2002, 16:20
DaveRuane,

The install was simple. I had to drill 2 holes in the front of the bumper. The only pieces I took off were the plastic cover over radiator and the grill...took a couple minutes.

There were pre-existing holes in the bumper for the top bolts...I did have to trim the plastic a little, but it is covered by the bar so you can't see where I trimmed. There are a couple spacers and washers to use on the top bolts. The top bolts that came with the package were too short if you used as directed. I went to my local hardware store and picked up a couple bolts that were 1/2" longer. After mounting by the top bolts, I marked the bumper so I could drill 2 holes for the front bolts. I removed the bar, used a punch to "dent" the metal so the drill bit would not travel all over the place. I drilled a small pilot hole, then upsized a couple times to get the proper size hole...1/2" I think. Badabang, badaboom!! The bar is very strudy!

Let me know if you would like more pics of the bar from different angles. I also painted the top bolts black so they were not noticeable. As far as the lights...since I mounted 'em upside down, the mounting bolts were left exposed, so I painted them black as well.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Silver Bullet
07-09-2002, 21:07
Here is a side pic...

http://www.kevcarart.com/steve/images_misc/light_bar_side.jpg

SoCalDieselNewbie
07-10-2002, 12:59
Silver Bullet wrote - "but I like as much light as possible for driving in deer country..."

Amen Brother!

I whole heartedly agree.

I live in Southern Cali... My addictions are hunting and fishing. So I make many late night hauls @ higher than normal speeds so I feed my addiction.

About the only thing on the highway besides me are deer and elk... I don't mind blinding them.

Call me crazy but I don't have any desire to send an Eastern Sierra's Tule Elk or one of those monsterous Elk that live along the Mongollon Rim in Arizona or in New Mexico's Gilas into the front end of my truck.

I already light up half a city block and I am still thinking about adding 4 of the little piaa driving lights in a fanned pattern so I have better coverage and more reaction time.

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: SoCalDieselNewbie ]</p>

Silver Bullet
07-10-2002, 15:07
Mo' light is mo' betta!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :D