PDA

View Full Version : XM RADIO

sdaver
09-16-2002, 19:59
I SPEND LOTS OF TIME BEHIND THE WHEEL SOMEBODY TELL ME IF ITS WORTH IT.........IM UP TO 11 CDS ADAY......DAVE

NutNbutGMC
09-16-2002, 20:25
^...Worth every penny of it. I spend ample time on the road. I haven't touched a CD, FM, or AM in 10 months now. NASCAR radio channel 144, EVERY Sunday.

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

sdaver
09-16-2002, 20:30
WHICH UNIT DO YOU HAVE......D

DMAX Daddy
09-16-2002, 20:53
I have the 2003 factory Bose unit. Every day I find something else to listen to. It has two XM selections (XM1 and XM2) with 6 channels each so its 12 presets. I originally thought I wouldnt fill them all but I find myself swapping them out every so often cause there is so much to listen to.

3-Fan
09-17-2002, 09:27
Go for it. I love mine. I have the Sony DRN-XM01R. The nice thing about this model of Sony is that you can buy another Cradle for around $125 to $150 and install it in your house and you don't have to buy another subscription to XM.

I also will take it into work and listen to it. Just set the antenna in the window, plug in the power supply, plug in my head phones and listen all day.

At home, I have the cradle plugged into the back of my reciever. All's I do is pull the XM unit out of my truck and snap it into place inside my house.

I highly suggest the Sony unit for it's flexibility to be used uin several locations with only one subscription rate.

Cobra One
09-22-2002, 18:24
YES--go for it. There is a fine selection of XM radios out there. I prefer the Sony PNP system which lets you by one radio and any number of mounts and move the radio from truck to car to trailer, etc. Get the new model with the white display and better remote. My wife and I just got back from Park City Utah, a 1300 mile round trip without ever changing stations. Except for losing the signal a few times in the mountain canyons, it was just flawless reception.

John

Alli-max
09-22-2002, 18:57
what they said... :D

NutNbutGMC
09-22-2002, 22:46
Alpine head, XM ready. Get the MP3 option as well. You'll be glad later on. Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, 600W amp, and 4 door speakers / tweeters.

HDLD
10-29-2002, 15:31
I'd like to add XM to my 2003 factory Bose and steering wheel controls. Does anyone know if there is any way of achieving this? Anyone done it? Prefer not to have an FM type solution and want to have the same utility as the OEM solution. It wasn't an option at purchase being in Canada.

mowser
10-29-2002, 21:20
HDLD,
I was just wondering, since you're in Ontario where you have access to D.A.B., if you're radio picks it up, and if it does, what do you think of it?

mowser :rolleyes:

Chris N5CWM
11-01-2002, 00:30
Do they play a lot of commercials or is XM radio
all music 24 hours a day on "Music" channels?
What do they have on the NASCAR channel during
the week? Or is it just off the air? I'm a NASCAR
fan and really like that feature since there are
no radio stations in the Houston area that
broadcast the races.

HDLD
11-07-2002, 15:04
Mowser - The '03 vehicles I believe will not have DAB till later in the production run. I had the mistaken belief at one point that it WOULD be in my '03 but knew before purchase that it would not. I have mentioned in another thread about DAB. It's getting to be widely available (i.e. many stations are now capable) in Ontario but it's just a better quality FM. I'd much prefer XM. DAB has a smaller footprint than FM, if I recall. My commute would take me out of range which could potentially be frustrating. XM would not have this problem and it has fewer commercials and none on some stations. I hate commercials and would willingly pay for quality programming, wider variety of options and less commercials. Unfortunately, competition can be an ugly game and we as potential subscribers are caught in the cross-fire.

DMAX Daddy
11-07-2002, 15:11
The stations I listen too dont seem to have many commercials.

As far as Nascar, here is the schedule

http://www.xmradio.com

They have interviews, replay races (the big race fo the week is always carried live), and a lot of talk/chats/interviews.

**EDIT*** Wouldnt let me add link directly to NASCAR page

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: DMAX Daddy ]</p>

DMAXDiva
11-08-2002, 19:39
Hey Chris5CWM and HDLD:

I seem to be the only TDP member that is a Sirius susbscriber, but I can tell you that Sirius offers totally commercial-free music stations (something that XM cannot claim), and as far as I am concerned, the extra 2 bucks per month is more than worth the aggravation of commercials IMHO...whatd'ya think, NutN?

FirstDiesel
11-08-2002, 19:57
Isn't Sirius in Chapter 11?? Thought I read about 3 weeks ago they filed.

Stage 1
11-08-2002, 20:31
Also have the 2003 factory Bose unit. Only had it for one day and like it so far.

DMAXDiva
11-09-2002, 05:24
FirstDiesel:

It figures... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I had read awhile back that both Sirius and XM were not meeting their projected subscription numbers but that both had sufficient capital reserves to continue for a minimum of 2 more years. At least XM is really getting a push through GM and some other manufacturers...I reckon I'll be forced to switch sooner than I'd expected. Geez...that's the way my luck's been runnin' lately :(

ThePend
11-09-2002, 07:12
Its worth it. Ive had mine since May. Only one problem with the XM reciever when first installed and it was replaced promptly.

NutNbutGMC
11-09-2002, 07:53
DMDiva, "What do I think?" you ask. I think you'll like XM once you jump ship and I think I wish you'd hurry up with the "D" , as I patiently await, but please, HURRY UP!!!.

DMAXDiva rocks with the big truck.

D MAXIMUS
11-09-2002, 15:08
I'm with DMAXdiva. Sirius is excellent. Why do you want to pay and still hear commercials.

John

DMAXDiva
11-09-2002, 16:41
NtnB:

Patience...patience...

:D

sdaver
11-09-2002, 16:57
IVE HAD XM FOR TWO WKS FROM A ADD ON DELPHI RADIO UNIT. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER.......COMEDY CHANNELS ARE GREAT..........DELPHI UNIT $129.00 AT CIRCUIT CITY $59.OO FOR CAR KIT WITH GREAT LOOKIN SMALL ANTENNA. RAN WIRE BETWEEN HEADLINER AND ROOF OUT THRU THIRD BRAKELIGHT...........DAVE :D

NutNbutGMC
11-10-2002, 17:27
^...If I must.... :cool:

HK 3
11-11-2002, 01:28
I installed an XM radio a couple of weeks ago and it has worked flawlessly. The recepton is superb, however, there is some chance of losing the reception when you pass a strong cell phone tower; however, I have not had this happen, yet. Additionally, you need to have a 60 degree horizon spectrum for reception. Therefore, in a steep canyon, you may lose reception for a short period of time. The XM news is superb, USAToday, BBC, CNN, etc. Country is great as is the Classic stations. Some of the station programming is not to my taste, but they have a wide variety and the sunday NASCAR is very good. I have the Pioneer GEX-FM903XCM. The head unit can be mounted in the front of the overhead console and the modulator in the bottom of the jocky box between the bucket seats or under the dash with all of the wires out of site. One critical issue is the type of antenna you choose. I went for the surface mount at the rear on top of the cab which was wired through the center cab brake lite. You can't see the antenna and the reception has been excellent. I much prefer this antenna installation to the "through the glass" antenna that attached to the rear window. In my opinion the through the glass antenna is not as clean and attractive. I would not hesitate to get the XM radio and I have thoroughly enjoy the compact features of the Pioneer model.

DMAXDiva
11-11-2002, 07:01
Hey Nut:

Send me an e-mail...I have a question for ya.

insertmyfullTDPhandlehere@yahoo.com (my patented anti-spam address... ;) )

DMD

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

Burner
11-11-2002, 11:27
David,

Rich here. Got the 03' truck with the XM. Time to trade in the 02' for you! Call me if you want a tour.

Burner

NutNbutGMC
11-13-2002, 23:25
^...DM Diva, You got mail.

Been busy with fuel injector replacements. D@mn Duramax. Lookin' at the new Fords. You still like me anyway?? :D :D

mackin
11-14-2002, 21:27
NutNbutGMC

You aren't series are ya?????? You don't want to be know as NutNbutnuttinFD...... That's it .....Hey XM is hurtin ....Heard they laid off today.....Sell ........There stock is tumbling.......

MAC :D

DMAXDiva
11-15-2002, 06:01
Oh GREAT...both Sirius AND XM goin' down the tubes? Sheesh... :rolleyes:

Oh well, at least I have the SuperJuice now...who needs satellite radio when you've got sooooo much yummy power at your foot? teehee :D

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
11-15-2002, 06:25
^....Mack Daddy, not to worry, I bailed out of the stocks a while back. DMDiva has the right idea. Power, at her every beckoning command. Ya' gotta' love this woman :D

Hope everyone is doing well on your side of the creek.

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
11-15-2002, 06:26
^....Mackin, you keeping it under 55 MPH in that juiced up joy ride? Nice lookin' machine you got there.

[ 11-15-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Marty P
11-29-2002, 10:06
I am looking at XM radios for my 2003 GMC d/a. I have the bose system with the 6 disc changer. It looks like I will have to add a unit that has an FM modulator. I've got several places on the center console where the unit could be mounted. My question is, where did you run the antenna wires? Anyone done the install themselves or is this best left to "professionals"?

Thanks,

Marty

NutNbutGMC
11-29-2002, 20:31
^..Marty, do a search. I have a thread somewhere here in the archives that detail the wiring route. If I have time later, I'll find it for ya'.