PDA

View Full Version : Rancho 4" Lift Question

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-08-2003, 15:31
Does anyone have any information on the 4" Rancho suspension lift kit for the 2500HD? Rancho does not list it on their website so I need part numbers if anyone knows them. Tophog posted some pictures of his white chev with it and I would like to know more about it. He had it installed by a local shop and I'm considering doing it myself. Has anyone had any experience doing the install. I've also seen several other kits, mostly 6" and the issue of being reversible has been listed as a benefit by only a few. What is the extent of what might make installing a lift kit "not" reversible? :confused:

Turbo Al
08-08-2003, 17:48
moved to 2500HD/3500 Accessories forum.

et
08-08-2003, 19:01
Rancho 4 inch lift comes in two colors; RS6548 in Red and RS6548B in Black.

tophog
08-08-2003, 23:00
Sorry for the late response, just returned from vacation.

D'Max_2_DA_Max, I went with the black Rancho lift. Not sure exactly what would prevent the lift from being "undone" however I vaguely remember the installer commenting about having to cut/trim some piece although minor. He said the lift could probably be undone but would require some welding/fabrication.

Monday I'll call the guy and ask for specifics.

pushpole
08-10-2003, 15:49
Had the install done two weeks ago. The drivers side lower control arm bracket is cut off 1.25" from the lower end. A small plate is welded in the opening for structural support. The front differential upper mount is cut leaving 1/4" ridge on the differential. Everything else is bolting and drilling a few holes in the frame. Not to mention dropping the whole front diff on the ground. If you're a savy welder and make clean cuts it should be reversable. If you can find a copy of the July 2002 issue of OFF-ROAD there's a story on the install. My installer has done 3 of these and it took him 1.5 days to complete. The install instruction number is 88148 Rev C. Now that it's on - it's on for good. The ride is fine and view is even better!

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-10-2003, 19:50
pushpole,

Thanks for the details! Can you tell me if the front wheels appear to stick out too much from the truck? Is the front wheel track wider than the rear and if yes how much? Do you have any pics? Does the 02 & 03 use the same kit?

tophog
08-11-2003, 15:21
I think I have a pict or 2 of the view down the side of the truck looking forward that shows how much tire/wheel I have sticking out ... probably less then an inch.

I think wheel offset and rim width are the major factors in how much the tire/wheels will "stick" out past the OEM fender flare. I do know with the Rancho kit you can run the OEM wheels whereas on most 6" lifts you cannot. At least that's what a Rancho rep told me on the phone.

pushpole
08-11-2003, 16:13
Tophog has it right, it depends on the rim and tire size combo. I've got 16X8 with 4.5" backspacing with 28575R16 tires. The contact patch width in front is about 82 inches, the rear is about 78 inches. The fronts are exposed about 2.5 inches beyond the fender flairs. I do see some "slinging in the rain" from the fronts. However, there has been no significant difference in keeping the truck clean in daily driving. Viewed from the rear you can definately see the difference in track width. Viewed from the side, not so much. Is it too much? that'll be personal preference space and I'm OK with it. I think the same lift kit is used for 01-03. If you use a shop to do the install, consider buying everything from them do a parts and labor package deal. Use a shop thats got a good reputation and has been around a while. Talk to the folks at the shop and get their opinions too.

PBR
08-11-2003, 19:55
D'Max_2_DA_Max - what size tires are you planning on running??? if you are going to run 285's i would go with the torsion keys, they lift the truck about 2.5 to 3 inches and the 285's fit perfect. you can run the stock wheels and the ride is almost identical. 3 of my friends have done it to their rigs and it is the hot set up and it only runs $90(2 torsion keys and front shock spacers) for the parts and install, if you have the tool, is easy.

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-12-2003, 04:37
PBR,
I haven't decided on tire size yet but I did already purchase the chromed H2 rims, 17 x 8.5. I really like the look of the 4" lift on tophog's 03 but hoot's looks real good with just the bars cranked. Because the lift kits are not exactly reversible I am currently thinking I'll go with the green keys and that will determine tire size. If I push the tire size to the limit with the keys and have problems with fit then I'll have to do the lift kit.

Ride quality is also a big consideration, I don't want to give up much there and the comments I've seen here indicate feelings are mixxed with just about anything you might do. The keys seem to have the least impact. I'm pabbling, I know, just thinking I guess, still trying to decide.

I like dmaxdiva's lift but not sure about the ride. I think I'll post a question for dmaxdiva and get more input to decide. It's not like they don't all look good, I, like most just want gooder!! :D

PBR
08-12-2003, 10:10
i hear ya... i am just not a big fan of lift kits.

tophog
08-12-2003, 11:39
I don't think you can use the H2 rims with any lift. I may be wrong, however the Rancho lift can only accomodate up to 5" backspaced rims ... I believe the H2 rims are 5.5" BS. There may be 6" lifts out there that can accomodate 5.5" BS'd rims.

The Rancho lift significantly improved the ride of my truck. It actually rides softer, car-like now, but not bouncy ... perhaps the Bilteins are responsible. In short, in expecting a "harsher" ride due to historical comments made on lift kits, etc. I was completely shocked on how nice my truck rode after the lift was installed.

There are pros/cons to each approach. Lifts are expensive but retain the geometry of the front end components and give you more lift overall (front/rear) then the TS bar key/crank route and will result in a much better ride IMO.

I went the TS crank approach on my 02 2500HD 4x4 and 265's and was satisfied with the ride but knew I wasn't doing the front end any favors and the ride was stiffer ... that was the sacrafice I was willing to accept to level the truck. Would I spend $3K for 2" of lift in the front? nope.

PBR
08-12-2003, 13:23
top hog - well said...

Camstyn
08-13-2003, 11:04
FWIW, you can get 3/4" wheel spacers that fit our trucks for about $15, which should give you the clearance you need with the H2 wheels. Reduce the B/S from 5.5 to 4.75.

DinoMax
08-13-2003, 14:01
D'max_2_DA_Max, I'm not sure if you would consider a 6" lift or not. I'm running a 6" Superlift, and it is reversible. The kit comes with all necessary brackets/parts to keep all suspension, steering, and 4wd components at the correct geometry/angles. There is no welding, cutting, or fabrication of parts required to install OR un-install. The only thing you might have to do is trim the plastic spoiler under the front bumper a wee bit for tire clearance, depending on what tire size you decide to go with. I have 315/75/16's on my truck, with no clearance problems, and a ride as good or better than stock ;) You can get all the info on this lift, IIRC, @ www.superlift.com (http://www.superlift.com) As far as a self install, I really would not reccomend it, unless you have previous experience with the GM IFS front end. It can be pretty difficult. A knowledgable shop is well worth the price of the install IMHO. Good Luck, DinoMax :D

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-13-2003, 19:02
Camstyn, you wrote:

"FWIW, you can get 3/4" wheel spacers that fit our trucks for about $15, which should give you the clearance you need with the H2 wheels. Reduce the B/S from 5.5 to 4.75." :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the comment, do you have a source for these wheel spacers?

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-13-2003, 19:08
DinoMax,

The superlift sounds very interesting, do you have any pics? Thanks!

DinoMax
08-14-2003, 12:59
D'MAX_2_DA_MAX Sorry, don't have any pic's as of yet. If it stops raining this week, will try to post some for you. DinoMax

Camstyn
08-15-2003, 14:02
Originally posted by D'Max_2_DA_Max:
do you have a source for these wheel spacers? Sorry, I was wrong, they are 1/4" wheel spacers.. They should still help you out. I've seen them on ebay being sold by the username "massey1946"

Good luck! I just got my H2 wheels/tires in this morning, tomorrow I'll be installing the green keys and popping on the new dubs. :D

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-15-2003, 17:38
Camstyn wrote

"tomorrow I'll be installing the green keys and popping on the new dubs." Would you be able to post some pics when your done and give me an idea how the key install goes? :cool: :cool:

Thanks for the ebay user too, I'll check it out! smile.gif

Camstyn
08-16-2003, 01:22
You bet, I'll get some pics up pronto, I might lift the back 2" as well to keep the stock stance if I can get blocks and u-bolts in time..

DinoMax
08-18-2003, 07:15
D'MAX_2_DA_MAX, Sorry for the delay, but the weathers been pretty ugly down here, and I have not been able to post pic's of my 6" Superlift until today. They are just basic "appearance" shots, because I got the impression you just wanted to see the end results. If you want to see any other shots from underneath, suspension, etc., just let me know. DinoMax :D

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-dino