PDA

View Full Version : How Much Do You Add To Your Fuel?

Clark's diesel
11-15-2005, 17:24
I just filled up my pickup. I poured 16 ounces of Power Service, (grey bottle), in and filled tank with 30 gallons of fuel. The bottle gives directions for adding to fuel, but it does so by cetane numbers. Example, increase cetane by 6 numbers, 32 oz. treats 50 gallons of fuel, or increase by 3 numbers 32 oz. treats 100 gallons of fuel. I figured 16 oz. would be ok as 16 oz. should treat 25 gallons to raise cetane 6 numbers. What is cetane anyway? I am assuming it's something that helps burn diesel fuel a little more completely. My owners manual states that I have a 34 gallon tank on my pickup but I have never had to fill past 30 gallons before. Is there that much reserve, (4 gal.),on these tanks so you don't run out and suck air?

trbankii
11-15-2005, 18:12
Although not a direct correlation, you can sort of think of cetane as an octane rating for diesel. Sounds like your proportions are about right.

99gmccrew
11-15-2005, 21:49
Turbo powered,

I was never able to get 26 gallons or close to it until I started to slowly top it off for the last 3-4 gallons. The diesel seems to foam up when nearing a full tank. Real P.I.T.A. if you're in a hurry! But I'm usually able to squeeze an extra 3 gallons in if I take my time. ;)

99gmccrew

[ 11-16-2005, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: 99gmccrew ]

DennisG01
11-16-2005, 04:35
As far as the fuel gauge goes, that seems about right. I just filled up the other day and the needle was a hair over the "E". I put just over 38 gallons into a 42 gallon tank.

Marty Lau
11-16-2005, 11:59
I wish the SB trucks would have come with more than the 26 gallon tank. But then it would cost even more to fill the darn thing up. I would love to get 600 miles out of a tank, best I've done is 488 miles but I was getting worried how much fuel was left.

Aryeh Levy
11-16-2005, 15:38
Lol I've tried even pouring in a half gallon of power service to get better than my 13 mpg... For good lubrication, i guess 16 oz is fine.

Hubert
11-17-2005, 06:39
I do what you did: what ever the recommended ratio is. Careful some products you should not overdose. Especially any water driers like diesel 911 (according to Power Service tech line). I would read the label carefully and/or call mfg to get further advice.

Some products increased smoke for me so I switched brands until I found one I liked and I run it a little lean and more often than not every 3-8 tank fulls. But that depends on what you are going for. In my case general maintenance.

Cetane is a measure of how much energy is in a fuel. Could be thought of how hot and readily the fuel burns. Octane is a very rough comparison as its a mesure of how much gasoline resists quick burning and predetonation. Low octane gas will preingite (can "diesel") knocks and pings and wastes all its explosion before or near top dead center. Low cetane diesel fuel doesn't want to burn quick enough. In the cold it make starting harder and won't have as much heat in the combustion to really expand the air in the cylinder on power stroke.

sturgeon-phish
11-17-2005, 16:44
I put in 6 oz of Amsoil Additive with each fill up. Seems to help, even if only in peace of mind.