PDA

View Full Version : Soft Tonneau Cover - opinion request

andrewfessler
10-29-2003, 09:19
I looked in the history of the forum and found some good information posted on tonneau covers.

However, I had a few questions that were not addressed.

Do you consider the button snap version of the top to the rails to be better than the velcro or the kind where the sides go into a track lock system. I live in Ohio where we have temperature ranges from 20 F to 90F during a year.

Do you feel that it is or would be worth the extra cost to get the supports to be part of the roll up top rather than having to take them off and put them on when needed.

I am having a hard time tracking down if most units allow one to open the tailgate without having to undo any part of the cover. LeBra advertises that theres does this.

Thanks.

I found several covers for about $200. All units I am comparing have clamp on rails to the bed that do not require drilling.

Jelisfc
10-29-2003, 09:39
I had a custom velcro cover with bows that was very durable and easy to use. You couldn't just roll it up and secure it though. That was 15 years ago and not sure what the price would be today.

I now have an Access cover and regardless of the brand it is so nice to not have to worry about the bows and if you need the room roll it, tie it, and go. I helped my dad take his snap cover off recently. What a PITA. You get what you pay for.

VFRRider
10-29-2003, 10:28
I'll second the Access Cover, I've had it for over a year, and it's worked perfect. Velcro still in top notch shape. Works very good with my 5th wheel, my Aux Tank fits under it, and you can open the tailgate without touching the cover. Stays very flat, no bows to struggle with.

TomF
10-29-2003, 10:30
I have an Extang BlackMax on my '02 CC SB with the snaps... I am generally happy with the cover (2nd truck with an Extang)

In cold weather getting the cover secured can be a bear, but it is managable. The snaps can be slid onto the track one of two ways (tight/loose) for warmer or colder weather and that does help.

The tailgate can be opened without removing or unfastening the cover as the rail is above the tailgate.

I paid no more than $200 2 years ago from a web vendor that I can't recall any more.

HD-Nate
10-29-2003, 11:03
There is a company that sells the tonneau covers that have a spring loaded back rail. This allows the frame to compress or expand with the cover and keep the cover tight. Sorry I don

Mark Heiken
10-29-2003, 11:19
I too have the Access. The velcro on yhe rails wore out after four years. I called Access and they shipped a kit to me for free. Great service!

Have looked at the Truxedo(sp?). It is much like the Access and looks to be comparable quality.

andrewfessler
10-29-2003, 12:59
Thanks for the responses.

I have been browsing the selection of
the following sites:

Tonneau Covers (http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/bed_covers.htm?source=GOTO&keyword=tonneau+covers&OVRAW=tonneau%20cover&OVKEY=cover%20tonneau&OVMTC=standard)

Lebra Top Rail (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0010050520484a&navAction=push&navCount=2&indexId=cat20139&podId=0010050&catalogCode=ID&parentId=cat20139&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21412&ha***=true)

It looks like the Access models that have the bows that roll up with it are around $475, $275 more than the ones that dont have it. Guess I need to decide how much of a hassle I think it will be. I'd rather spend that $275 towards gauges or a Predator...hmmh.

MICKD
10-29-2003, 13:39
I personally like the Tekstyle covers. The snaps on the rails slide for expandsion and contraction with the weather. When you install the covers always start at the rear corners and then do the sides then the back. I install all the vinyl tonneau covers at the shop were I work. I don't like the covers that have the plastic sewn to the cover because after a while the plastic gets hard and breaks espeicaly in cold weather. These covers are tight in cold weather as well. On the velcro covers they didn't always stay put, sometimes one side of the velcro would come off and have to be replaced or a new piece be sewn in. I have used Tekstyle covers on three of my truck since 1992 with out much problem. The biggest thing is to keep the cover clean and treat it with 303 protectant when you wash your truck.
Just my 2cents smile.gif
Type "Tekstyle tonneau covers" for more info. Good Luck finding what will work best for you. Website for the shop I work at www.atopfit.com (http://www.atopfit.com)
Summit also has a web site.
Sorry for the long post

KISMIF
10-29-2003, 13:41
You may want to look at a Berlin cover.

Available on the net at: www.netruckcap.com (http://www.netruckcap.com)

They have the spring loaded frame and allow the tailgate to open.

I've had their hinged cover for about a year and no complaints. They are manufatcured in Berlin Ohio.

-KISMIF

atvpilot
10-30-2003, 14:21
I had a few of the soft tonneuas and they are a pain in the winter. I am looking at the K Cover out of texas. check them out at www.kcover.com (http://www.kcover.com) It's expensive but there is less hassle in the long run. Hope it helps. :D

blowinsmoke
10-30-2003, 14:31
Don't forget the Truxedo Lo Pro that's just been released - Mine should be here in the next few days I hope.. I'll let you know what I think. The Truxedo is tried and tested - the low pro removes the 1/2 inch lip they had before.

Blwn

hill1430
10-30-2003, 15:44
Access Roll Top Cover, I have one and I love it.

letsgo
10-30-2003, 16:34
I have been running with the same soft Access cover since september of 1999, there is no sign of wear, discoloration or fatigue in the fabric or velcro, and I use lots of Armoral conditioner.

good luck

GMC-2002-Dmax
10-30-2003, 22:01
Originally posted by KISMIF:
You may want to look at a Berlin cover.

Available on the net at: www.netruckcap.com (http://www.netruckcap.com)

They have the spring loaded frame and allow the tailgate to open.

I've had their hinged cover for about a year and no complaints. They are manufatcured in Berlin Ohio.

-KISMIF I also have a Berlin Tilt Cover and have NO complaints at all.

GMC ;)