PDA

View Full Version : No Start 6.5L Turbo

rdurh
11-18-2005, 13:35
Earlier this week we had some colder temperatures with highs in the teens and low twentys. The 1994 Blazer wouldn't start, though it almost wanted to. Now that it's warmed up some (high 40s) it won't even try to start. Cranks over and puts out white smoke, but won't even try to fire up. This weekend I'm planning on adding some quick start glow plugs from WAP, Inc. and try to fit in a block heater. What else should I be looking at?

I'm fairly good at gas engines but this is the first diesel I've owned. I've checked to see if the glow plugs are getting voltage, and those that I can reach are getting 12v during the glow plug cycle.

More Power
11-18-2005, 13:52
Need to make sure the glow system is operating correctly. The online Troubleshooting Resource (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide.htm) will lead you through the process of checking and troubleshooting the glow system.

Jim

Hubert
11-18-2005, 14:18
How many miles and overall condition? Need more info on truck and what you have checked replaced already.

Just from what you posted ..... If doing glow plugs might as well do injectors too (if they have over 100,000 miles on them). Fuel filter, air filter, clean grounds and battery cables and make sure batteries are strong and fully charged. Add a fuel additive.

If not that many miles that should get it running. It depends on ambient temperature, cranking speed, fuel quality, glow plug condition etc. Your smoke could have been diesel fuel not combusting fully. Can range from a light grey to dark bluish grey smoke.

rdurh
11-18-2005, 17:57
Sorry, here's some more information. 1994 Blazer with 6.5L turbo motor. I purchased this truck a month ago in Ft. Worth, TX. From the receipts from the previous owner, he had the IP was replaced in May as well as having the transmission rebuilt. Mileage according to the idometer and the Texas Motor Vehicle Department is 160,204. The truck is now in Colorado Springs, CO at an elevation of approximately 6500ft. In the last few weeks it has started blowing more black smoke while driving, not just on acceleration and has had a seat of pants loss in power. Also, around 50mph it goes in and out of lock up on the transmission.

Up until this past Tuesday, when the high was 17 it started without any problems. Tuesday it would crank and try to fire up. Starting Wednesday it would just crank and blow white/grey smoke.

Since it spent all it's previous life in Texas, it has never had a block heater installed. If I can find a freeze plug that's easy to get to I'll add one this weekend. Otherwise, I'll try to figure out how to add a tank heater.

I did finally remember to bring my wallet downstairs to my work PC so I could get my membership renewed and get to the trouble shooting guides.

MTTwister
11-19-2005, 09:25
RD - Check your Turbo boost - Smoke indicates low boost - run the vacuum checks at the turbo s/b 15#, at the solenoid s/b @ 20# from the vacuum pump. wiggle solenoid wires, search site for other trouble shooting info.

Heater - You might be better off going with an Oil Pan heater, versus block plug. Don't get one that's too big- over heats the oil in the pan. Another option to consider - .

the search feature is in the upper right corner of the page.

Good Luck !

rdurh
11-20-2005, 11:40
Out of eight glow plugs only one worked and it wasn't plug into the relay. I also found an AC/Delco block heater installed that apparently had never been used, with the cord all nicely coiled up and zip tied out of the way behind the headlights. Thanks for all the suggestions/help. Yes MTTwister I did use the search function before posting but thanks for the reminder.