PDA

View Full Version : State Law and Mud Flaps

MaxACL
09-25-2002, 15:32
I got a warning ticket from the Texas HP for not having mud flaps on my dually. No problem, I'll get some but, he said that the dealer should have installed them when they did the state inspection.

I called the dealer in Plano in June when I was home on leave and got the run-around and three "we'll call you backs". I'm coming back home next week and called them again and again... "we'll call you back after I chech with the boss".

Did any one else not get mud flaps with their dually and should I press this issue? I only have a few days home and that time is divvied up between weddings and boot camp graduations, patting the wife on the head and kissing the dog (or sometheing like that).

Mike

PS Has anyone seen the video clip called "The Red, White and Blue.avi" produced by Toby Keith and the Air Force? tongue.gif

ram/tx
09-25-2002, 16:48
Yea MaxACL I have seen the RED WHITE AND BLUE with Toby Keith and the AIR FORCE, and it is just Awesome!!!!! :eek: I still have it on my computer. Don't know about the dealer installing mud flaps, My D/A only has single tires on the back. Hope you can get the dealer to install yours. I do know that Texas HP will give you a ticket for not having them on a Dually. Good Luck and hope you enjoy the Air Force, spent 28 years in it but sure am glad I'm retired from it now. :D :D

Vette Racer
09-25-2002, 23:57
This has to be a texas deal! No Dually has to have mudflaps on it by law! We all need them however. Maybe its like a Okie deal??? Course if you live out East, all bets are off. Those people are in a different world. I heard you have to have all sorts of license's to pull things out there. Talk about freedom?? Back here in the South, we pull whatever we feel like on a reg license. If you can drive it, you're in! Rock and Roll!

Ironhead
09-26-2002, 08:05
must be a Texas thing. No dually out here comes with flaps except the cab and chassis units. Do per chance have a flatbed on it?

MaxACL
09-26-2002, 08:27
Ironhead... No flatbed, just a regular truck, with rockets, chaff and radar.

I'll continue to be a pain in the aft end to the dealer.

Mike

maddogjim
09-26-2002, 09:32
New on the forum,However I have been reading the Forum for some time and have learned a considerable amount of great Info about My 2002
D/A.This is a great place to spend some time....
Noticed that Ram/tex Was from Abilene and an old air force man..I was stationed at Dyess From 58 to 62..Wonder?? Keep up the good work.....

MaxACL
09-26-2002, 11:25
Welcome maddogjim, Great forum, great people.

What'd you do at Dyess? I did my ALCE upgrade there. I'm a KC-10 Boomer now... in great demand.

Mike

TxDoc
09-26-2002, 13:17
Look down the list for this:
"9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)"

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/

Items of Inspection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
05.03 Inspect Every Truck 80 Inches or More in Overall Width For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes system (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Safety Guards or Flaps (if four tires or more on rearmost axle)
10. Exhaust System
11. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
12. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
13. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
15. License Plate Lamp (1)
16. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
17. Turn Signal Lamps
18. Clearance Lamps
19. Side Marker Lamps
20. Side Reflectors
21. Head Lamps (2)
(Refer to Reference Section as per lighting diagrams and as applicable to the particular style of truck being inspected.)
22. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
23. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
24. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

Overall width is determined by measuring from the widest part on one side to the widest part on the other side of the vehicle. In some vehicles this may be the dual wheels which would be considered as part of the width. Do not include an outside mirror or mirrors in determining overall width.

btw-maddogjim
My dad worked on Dyess during its construction. Lotta sand in the house!

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: TxDoc ]</p>

maddogjim
09-26-2002, 14:20
Hi MaxACL...Was A medic,Far from the flight line,But a lot of great memories

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: maddogjim ]</p>

MaxACL
09-26-2002, 16:03
Thanks TxDoc. I've printed it and will have it in my hip pocket. All you guys are great!

Mike smile.gif

ram/tx
09-26-2002, 17:59
Maddogjim.. Thats a little before my time at Dyess, didn't get to Dyess until 74. Like you said alot of great memories. Keep-um Flying.

mackin
09-28-2002, 20:33
Out East a different world??????? I thought it was out West different world????

Mudflaps out east the law is, if OD of tire is greater than distance of space from tire to bumper mud flaps are required......This is only inforced where states have mandatory yearly safety (vehicle) inspections......Shout out to you VT garage inspectors that broke my Ball$ about it but yet the dealer let me slide......
tongue.gif

MAC

mdrag
09-28-2002, 21:26
mackin,

For grins, I went out and did a quick measurement on my dually - the Michelin XDE M/S 225/70 19.5" are ~32" diameter, OEM 215/85 16" ~30"

Measuring from the rear edge of the tire to the closest point on the bumper (black plastic trim) is about 27". If you measure to the farthest point on the bumper, it is about 35". Give or take an inch from these measurements....

I'm sure the State or Municipal fund raisers would use the closest measurement. Interesting laws we have...