PDA

View Full Version : Hitches; FW or HW Goose Neck?

imported_
09-25-2002, 16:34
I have a '03 Chevy D/A CC SB coming in and want to replace the 26 gallon tank with the Transfer Flow 45 gallon tank.

I am much obliged to someone here for their advise to mount the FW hitch before installing the tank. If not, the installed tank will block access to frame members making it difficult to attach the hitch to the frame.

Anyway would the members recommend;

1) a gooseneck type ball that can be made flush to the bed and can use a FW adaptor? Or,

2) getting a regular FW hitch with the mounting bars on the bed?

I read a lot of messages of members towing gooseneck rigs and it seems to be a good idea to keep this option open.

I'm not familiar with the FW hitches. Can you mount the bars on the bed over a plastic liner? We have a regular 26' Sunnybrook travel trailer but intend to upgrade to a FW Weekend Warrior when we can scrape together some more dough.

Thanks!

Colorado Kid
09-25-2002, 17:32
I went with the regular 5th wheel hitch because it looked to me like the adapters can put a lot of leverage on the hitch pin box (on the trailer) that it was not designed for, not that I'm aware of this ever causing a problem. Also because I found the cost to be lower, was worried about needing to be able to slide the hitch in the short bed (can't do that with a ball) and I could get the conventional hitch locally and install it sooner so we could go camping.

No type of in bed hitch works very well with a plastic drop in liner, becasue they will all end up letting debris get under the liner at the holes that have to be cut for the hitch. No, the rails can't be mounted over the liner...very specifically addressed in the installation instructions.

Most 5th wheel hitch makers have a gooseneck ball plate that will fit their rails, I know Reese does, so I still have that option.

Most of the various disappearing ball hitches have handles/levers extending under the bed on the Driver's side, more or less in line with the rear axel. I don't know if any of them would interfear with your proposed tank installation, but you might want to compare some pictures with this in mind.

Just-Lee
09-26-2002, 11:18
I have the 46 gal transfer flow tank and there was no issue with interference with the FW hitch. Mine is the Reese 16k slider.

The TF tank mostly gets the added capacity largely by extending foward (longer in the front) so the hitch mount is pretty much a non-issue.

richp
09-26-2002, 12:49
I second the Colorado Kid's comment on the increased leverage applied to the trailer frame by a gooseneck. I did this conversion and quickly went back to a regular fifth wheel hitch when I saw the flex introduced into the frame/hitch area. What I finallly concluded (and should have foreseen)was that a gooseneck considerably increases the lever arm for all forces (stopping, starting, bumps, etc.) that are transmitted between the truck and the trailer.

I know that commercial conversions are available and many folks must use them successfully. What I saw on my rig was very disconcerting, though.

I would urge anyone wanting to make this change to talk to their trailer manufacturer first to see what they say about frame strength in the hitch area. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to your insurance agent as well. If you're ever in an accident, an aftermarket conversion that even arguably changes the safety performance characteristics of your rig could increase the chances you would be found liable or at least complicate your defense.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member 28

imported_
09-26-2002, 16:01
Thanks for the insights. I can see how the length and angle of the gooseneck could make some leverage.

I've been looking around and realize that with a short bed I should have a slider type of hitch which provides more space between the trailer and the cab in turns over 45 degrees.

Also most folks recommend a tilting or side-to-side rocker style hitch so that it's easier to hitch-up on uneven ground.

Also the rocker allows the trailer more freedom to bounce side-to-side on road bumps w/o transmitting the movement to the cab and torque-ing the frame.

In other words, looking at, at least, $700-$800.

Just-Lee, is yours a short bed? If so, and there's no issue I might as well let it ride until we get the FW.

Thanks again Colorado Kid, Richp and Just Lee.

ksevern
10-03-2002, 18:22
Have you looked at the B&W turnover ball hitch? I have had one for about 2 years now and love it.
Take a look at it at www.turnoverball.com (http://www.turnoverball.com)

Raybo
10-13-2002, 16:22
If you want the advantage of having a goose-neck and a fifth wheel get the turn-over ball setup and then go to www.jrhitches.com and get their Andersen hitch. It's a fifth wheel connection that mounts over the goose-neck ball. Check it out---it's a great setup.

Ray Aubin

David Utz
10-14-2002, 05:50
Check with your trailer manufacturer befor using an Anderson type conversion. The 5th wheel hitch may not be designed to take the extra torque created by the gooseneck arm.