PDA

View Full Version : HELP Installing Bilstein Shocks

ram/tx
09-27-2002, 13:15
I put my shocks on today and the rear shocks look like they are on upside down. The eyes of the shocks would not fit in the truck hangers if I put the blue cover on the top, but went in perfect if I turned the shock over and have the blue cover at the botton, but it looks like if I mount them this way, allot of water and dirt will get in on the piston rod. So my question is does the blue cover go on the top and if it does, how did you'll get the big eye of the shock into the top mount? Thanks for any help.

mdrag
09-27-2002, 16:40
ram/tx,

Blue cover on top would be my recommendation....a tap or two on the mounting bracket ears with a universal alignment tool should do it...aka hammer

ram/tx
09-27-2002, 18:01
Thanks Mdrag, your universal alignment tool recommendation worked like a charm. I Must have had one to many adult beverages last night or I would have seen that. ;) Have a good weekend.

CntrlCalDmax
09-27-2002, 20:46
I know it is too late for ram/tx, but others may be able to use this tip. After you remove the bolts, pull the lower end of the shock free and rock is side to side 2-3 inches. This will open up the upper ears and the new shocks slide in with no trouble.

bora
09-28-2002, 08:56
What torque are you all using for the shock bolts, the Bilsteins have been on my list for the past three months, I just haven't gotten to ordering them yet.

Thanks

Bora

ram/tx
09-28-2002, 17:53
bora...The only torque value they give on the Bilstein shock, the paper work that comes with them, are the front ones and it says to torque the top nut 20 Newton Meters, which is about 15 foot pounds. The rest of the bolts, I just run down with a 1/2 air impact.

mdrag
09-28-2002, 18:49
For the 2500 Series (3500 not separately listed in the '01 Helm's manual)

Front:
Top bolt: 20 N

Vivayo
01-03-2003, 18:30
As you can see in my sig, I have something to do this weekend :D I wondered about the torque values but the page's search function turned up this string from Sept and another one with the same info in Nov. Not only "book learnin", but the actual experience hint to spread the tabs when taking the old shocks off. That's (one of) the nice things about this site - the willingness to share info.
Thanks, mdrag!

Charlie