PDA

View Full Version : Got Rid of the Vacuum Pump

GMCfourX4
11-19-2005, 13:56
While replacing my water pump, timing chain, P/S pump, and a variety of other things, I decided to get rid of my vacuum pump, since I have no use for it with the Heath Boost Controller anyway. After getting everything back together, I decided to check exactly what the belt size needed to be (I didn't want to put just the pulley back on as an idler, b/c that's one more bearing that could go). I put the old belt back on, cut it, then had someone hold the tensioner at each end of its travel and marked the belt. I then stretched the (now cut) belt on the ground, and measured it. The belt is SUPPOSED to be 101", but mine had stretched to over 101 1/2" (which explains why my tensioner was always pulled back almost all the way after a belt had been on my truck for a while). I then measured from the end to the marks I had made, and found that with the tensioner out, the new belt should be 100" long. After checking the specs on the old belt, I knew I needed a 27/32" wide belt with 6 ribs that was 100" long. The Dayco part# is 5061000, and, interestingly enough, is the belt for '96-'98 K2500 and K3500 pickups with the 7.4L engine. The belt fits very well, and the tensioner is happily about 3/4 of the way out, so there's plenty of movement left if the belt stretches.

-Chris

Andy Chesek
11-20-2005, 08:02
I removed my vacuum pump, and used a Goodyear Gatorback. Part #4061000. Gotta enjoy the simpler things like Heath's TurboMaster.