PDA

View Full Version : New GM procedure for FSD replacement

jonflies
11-20-2005, 11:52
My service advisor told me they had to comply with a new "special policy" out since Sept 04, concerning IP replacement. According to him, it requires fuel samples, tank flush and more, costing me as much as $800.00 Has anyone else heard of this? I thought most of this was due to FSD, (electronic) and not mechanical IP problems.

Tough Guy
11-20-2005, 14:09
The GM employees who okayed the use of these electronic IP's are total idiots.

The people making policy concerning the 6.5L at GM are complete morons.

Everyone and anyone who was/is involved in decision making for anything related to the 6.5L should be fired.

GM is looking for a cheap way out after extending the warranty, its not bad enough they screwed everyone that bought their product once now they can getcha twice!!

Chris

JoeyD
11-20-2005, 15:00
Maybe you need your lawyer to take the truck to the dealer for you :D
I don't think all shops are being this bad, but some see it as a way to make an extra 800 seeing how GM does not pay them enough acording to them to change out the pump under warraty.

DennisG01
11-20-2005, 17:18
I just had an IP replaced under warranty about 3 weeks ago. My cost was $0. I can't say for sure, but I don't think they did anything like you mentioned. Find another dealer! ;)

Kennedy
11-21-2005, 08:17
There has always been wording requiring that the fuel system be verified clean. Some dealers do it, and others do not. The sad part is that the contamination thet they are looking for is often generated by the early injection pumps failing mechanically. The fuel filter is supposed to protect the new pump though...

This policy should be for pump replacement, not FSD replacement also...

jonflies
11-28-2005, 15:56
Just an update. I didn't think about flushing the filter housing and tubing from the valve, and the dealer found metal in the "sample". According to this mechanic the GM procedure advises to use a black plastic container to catch the sample. He used an empty Delco coolant jug, which he claims to have cleaned and dried. In the past, when I've had to take a sample, we were provided a clean sample cup, almost like a urine sample cup, sealed in a plastic bag to insure no prior contamination.

That alone gave me strong missgivings about this dealer. I called the toll free customer service number and was directed to another dealer, ten miles away for another appointment. Hopefully, they'll use a clean sample jug.

HowieE
11-29-2005, 05:43
If fuel sampling was a real consideration and you really wanted to have a realistic test I would assume a much larger sample than a urine cup would be used.
It would make more sense to draw at least a gallon of fuel in a clear container and than let that settle for several hours before checking. The size and amount of material, unless you were very lucky, that would cause the mechanical side of the pump to fail would not be noted in a small sample.
Other considerations. Do you test after the tank has had time to settle, which is not representative of reality. Do you test before the fuel filter, for high flow volume, and possibility larger particles that would be easier to see in the sample? Or are these sealers just padding the bill

rjwest
11-29-2005, 09:09
MY OPINION, Most big dealers will scR*W you big time. I also do not hink GM pays enough for the contract mechanics to do the job, they only want the easy stuff where they can get several hours labor and finish in much less.
I went to several dealers in Jax Fl. none really wanted the job, or said they had to do a paided diagnostic first,

Finnialy paid a shop to do it, GM re imbursed me direct, ( only good thing the ( pre Belly Up ) GM corporation has done right for me in last 5 years).

GM since 17 Yars of age,now 67 , Looking at a Dodge,,,