PDA

View Full Version : Transfer flow 45 gallon replacement fuel tank

01-22-2003, 23:06
I am considering replacing my O.E.M. fuel tank with a 45 gallon transfer flow fuel tank. You folks that have already done this...would you do it again? I live in the Sierra's and drive on unplowed roads. Did you notice a problem with the reduction of ground clearance? As you know the stock 4X4's set pretty low. I don't get too stupid with the off road driving. I have no plans for lifting the truck or putting larger tires on it. It is a tow vehicle. I have read all of the other posts on auxiliary fuel tanks. I hoped to get some more information before I throw down the cash. Thank you for your help.

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: 10851 ]

[ 01-23-2003: Message edited by: 10851 ]</p>

4x4man
01-23-2003, 14:32
I have thought about going with the 45gal Transfer Flow tank as well, but wondered if it would throw the DIC off that our 2003's come with. How would it know if the 26 gallon tank was replaced with the 45 gallon tank?? Does it matter?? Probably not, but I like to look at my averages for fuel economy periodically as well as the estimated range I have left on the tank of fuel.....
Just curious....

Bob

imported_
01-23-2003, 20:23
I had the Transfer Flow 45 gallon replacement tank installed about 6,000 miles ago. Since then I've taken lots of very gnarly dirt roads with lots of rocks and washouts on fire breaks climbing around mountains and the Old Coast Road (pre-Pacific Coast Highway road), Big Sur, CA, requiring 4x drive. Not exactyly serious off road 4 wheeling but about as tough as dirt roads can get.

To-date there have been no problems whatsoever.

The tank itself is made of some very beefy 12 gauge steel. It hangs down from the frame about 1.5 inches but there are other parts that are hanging down lower.

I love the range it gives me. Transfer flow installed it at there plant in Chino, CA and it was a 1st class experience A-to-Z. Highly recommended. Also got the wide neck filler tube.

The only computer readout that it screws-up is the range that is calculated on the remaning fuel. The computer is still thinkiung in terms of 26 gallons.

Transfer flow fills the tank and gives you the measues in gallons of fuel at the E, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and fullmarks.

For example, on "E" I still have 8 gallons left. Best thing that I've done for my truck. Recently drove from Carmel to Huntington Beach, about 360 miles of a lot of twisty coast road, towing a 26' trailer, about 7,000#'s - made w/o stopping for fuel.

Cosy me about $1,000 installed.

Joe Pool
01-24-2003, 12:24
I installed a TF45gal and fast fill neck this past fall and love it. Just took a trip from St. Louis, MO to Las Vegas, NV -- 1700 miles one way -- and only stopped for fuel 3 times. Beats the heck out of the stock 26 gal tank. I don't really use this truck for off road duty so I don't have any comments about that aspect or the trip computer as my truck is a 2002. I highly recommend the tank and the filler, they are well made.

If you install it yourself, I recommend that you have an assistant as the tank is heavy and hard to handle. Other than that the install is fairly easy.

Hope this helps, Joe

01-24-2003, 21:26
Thanks for the help. I'll be driving to Chico to have the 45 gallon replacement tank installed.

RichBailey
01-26-2003, 16:05
You won't regret putting the 45 gal tank in your truck. I was getting tired of putting fuel in every 20-21 gallons. Now I fill at 40 gal mark. Just drive by my odometer. Get 600 miles in town, and 750 miles on the road.

Tank is very well made although clearance is reduced. Hangs down about 1.5" below frame, still have 9.25" ground clearance.

hogbody
01-26-2003, 16:10
I just received my 30 gal. in bed tank. Going to install next weekend. It has the through the camper shell fill. Will give me a total of 56 gallons. Lose about 9 inches of bed space. Just put the dog and junk back there anyway.

I am very impressed with the detailed instructions and the quality of the parts and pieces.

LARRY :D

MABurns
02-24-2003, 15:37
Hogbody,
How did the install go? I am considering getting the same one......

hogbody
02-24-2003, 19:21
Install went great. The instructions were great and I had no problem. It took me about 8 hours. I had some help for part of it (3-4 hours at the most)

Quality product and have had no problems since installed.

Larry tongue.gif

hogbody
02-24-2003, 19:22
I forgot to say....I was quoted $450.00 for the local auth. dealer to install it.

Glad I saved my $$$$$

Larry

tpitt
02-24-2003, 20:35
I just had mine installed at Chico, where they are made. I watched them install it as I am one of their dealers and hadn't sold any yet. It took them around 4 hours. I'm installing one for a customer Sat. and hope it takes me about the same. They charged me $150. and this is what I'm charging my customer. Hope I didn't bite off more than I can chew, but think they would have installed it quicker if they weren't showing me step by step. I'm really impressed with the quality of their products. They are a little pricey, but are well built and are legal tanks. tpitt