PDA

View Full Version : Trip Computer

denverdale
10-07-2002, 12:48
While waiting for the service dept. to get my truck to me today, I looked at the 2003 trucks with the trip computer. Boy!! is that nice. It would seem like an after market interface could be developed and a digital readout made available to do most of the functions that are available on the 2003's.
How about it Dave W., have you looked into that yet?
Denverdale

copperhead
10-09-2002, 18:28
Love the trip computer in my truck, I was going to get larger tires but that will ruin the functionality that I paid for. Also, two thumbs up for DIC and steering wheel controls, AN3 seats with driver exit setting, curb assist on mirrors, wow!!!

EZ
10-10-2002, 15:07
My problem is "too many irons in the fire".

My initial thought is to monitor the fuel injector drive like I do for the gas engines. The additional variable is the rail pressure changes in the Diesel system and that would have to me monitored and factored into the injector time.

Another method that I think Denverdale suggested is to pick data from the trucks ECU and derive the information from that.

I'd like one for my Duramax but it will have to wait awhile.

Dave W

chuntag95
10-10-2002, 16:18
I wonder if you could buy the unit and plug it in? :confused: That would be tooooo simple, huh? :(

Budz
10-10-2002, 18:28
The 2003's have a new electrical architecture that makes the DIC possible. Not feasible to consider an upgrade to older model.

From Pickup Truck.com
"a brand new Class II electrical architecture is standard for 2003 and brings significant electronic and maintenance benefits to the full size trucks. Woychowski describes the new system as "able to multiplex signals down a single wire versus having multiple discrete copper wires." The architecture is able to support the sophisticated power management needs of the HVAC and infotainment systems, described earlier, while at the same time reducing the number of wires in the trucks. For example, the number of wires in the doors has been reduced from 40 in 2002 down to 16 in 2003. Less wires means less maintenance vulnerabilities over the life of the truck and a lower cost of ownership."

The 2003's aren't just about change in style. The general public doesn't care about advanced electronics/wiring. Fire apparatus manufacturers have been going in this direction for several years. Has greatly simplified design, reduced total amount of wire onboard, and increased reliability. I think it's a good deal all around.

Bud
2003 2500 HD, with less wire-more stuff